• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 108317

Okay more I look at it, the less it looks like a card but I still feel like it's Pokemon related.

Someone used a similar red circle to point that area out on Serebii's Twitter. I doubt that CoroCoro magazine would have more to hide. Usually, we get the scans all at once. Though I remember one time during the lead up to ORAS, we got a few scans over a period of a couple days. So, I guess it's possible. But I'm not going to be holding my breath.

The proposed change is less akin to "let's add new form mechanics and stats" and more like "let's make this a racing game". It puts you in a completely different headspace for how to interact with it as a whole. If you aren't good at racing games, you can't just adapt to that kind of a change, especially not if you bought this series because the turn-based genre was something you could handle a lot better.

(I know it's not becoming a racing game. I'm comparing the shift in mindset that would be needed.)

According to @Desdar300, the battle system has been made "more simplistic". I wonder which is more simplistic? A real-time RPG or a turn-based RPG? With the comparisons to Digimon World and Pokkén Tournament also in the leak *ahem* rumor, I'm concerned that we could change over to real-time. I run a Pokémon page on Facebook and posted the battle system rumors aka the "Japanese leak" from @Desdar300 to it yesterday, and apparently real-time is supposedly more simple because someone posted that in Digimon, it pretty much "plays itself" aside from doing "nothing but a special attack every 30 seconds". If it were real-time, I'd at least want full control of my character like in Pokkén Tournament. That's what I'm concerned about if they switch over to real-time, that it'll be made "too simplistic".

Last edited:
Most real time systems I know make it easier to avoid damage, but adds a layer of tactics in the mix, so there is no real advantage to it. None of them have anything like Pokemon's type system, though, so I don't see how it would make it simpler.
Need I mention Ni no Kuni once more? Just look at it's battle system, honestly that looks like the most likely transition should it happen.

This is strange, and maybe i'll need some help to find it out:
when ORAS was announced, in that period approximately, i remember an interview (probably on serebii?) where the GF employee (i don't remember if he was Masuda, i don't think... maybe it was someone who worked on the battles, like the battle planner, or ohmori. don't remember) told that they were working on change the battle system, but that for now, in the next game (that was ORAS) we were still using the old battle system. If so, maybe they were talking since then about changing the battle system? this is a possibility?

But they dont have to quit the franchise at all, just wait a few monts or years and see with their own eyes if the battle system works of not.

Maybe it's just my own point of view, I dont know, but its how I feel.
No doubt everyone here has experience with real time battle. It could be through Pokken, or smash bros, or any other 100s of games. Just a video of the battle system is enough to tell someone what it is like, and of course demos. And if someone is not a large fan of real time then they won’t be a fan of it.

I for example enjoy smash bros and the naruto ninja storm series, but I suck at them. I’ll never get the trophies that need things like combos and I can never play on the hard levels because I just can’t. I’m not an expert on Pokémon either, but that I feel I could struggle through with a little advice and research. You can’t do that with real time becaise it depends mostly on relfexes.
Someone used a similar red circle to point that area out on Serebii's Twitter. I doubt that CoroCoro magazine would have more to hide. Usually, we get the scans all at once. Though I remember one time during the lead up to ORAS, we got a few scans over a period of a couple days. So, I guess it's possible. But I'm not going to be holding my breath.

According to @Desdar300, the battle system has been made "more simplistic". I wonder which is more simplistic? A real-time RPG or a turn-based RPG? With the comparisons to Digimon World and Pokkén Tournament also in the leak *ahem* rumor, I'm concerned that we could change over to real-time. I run a Pokémon page on Facebook and posted the battle system rumors aka the "Japanese leak" from @Desdar300 to it yesterday, and apparently real-time is supposedly more simple because someone posted that in Digimon, it pretty much "plays itself" aside from doing "nothing but a special attack every 30 seconds". If it were real-time, I'd at least want full control of my character like in Pokkén Tournament. That's w I'm concerned about if they switch over to real-time, that it'll be made "too simplistic".

It wouldn’t which is why I doubt they’ll do real time. If they think it’s more simplistic then they’re either experts at it, or have never done it. Pokémon currently is simple enough as long as you understand types, especially with the feature they added in the Gen VII games that tells you how effective a move is.

It wouldn’t which is why I doubt they’ll do real time. If they think it’s more simplistic then they’re either experts at it, or have never done it. Pokémon currently is simple enough as long as you understand types, especially with the feature they added in the Gen VII games that tells you how effective a move is.

I hope you're right. I just don't want Pokémon to become some typeless button mashing fest. I'm really worried by what @Desdar300 meant by the battle system being made "more simplistic". Especially because Pokémon, like you said, is already simplistic enough as is. But the sad thing, I talked to @Desdar300 and asked if his sources showed him any pictures or video of the battle system or if they've seen any pictures or video. And he said that it was all just hearsay. I hope that his sources are just using a comparison based on their own personal experiences from seeing pictures and just said "Oh, this reminds me of Digimon World or Pokkén Tournament" and not that they've actually seen video of how it plays. I really hope that Game Freak does something original and doesn't copy the battle style from those games down to their code. I hope they're not that stupid. That's what I fear. Because also according to @Desdar300, they are getting "external help" to finish the battle system. I hope that this external help is from Nintendo EPD, which worked on Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, which were both very successful games in my opinion. If they go in the direction of those games with innovation, I think we can expect great things. At least one would hope. Game Freak has been known to screw up in the past. So I hope whatever they supposedly plan to do to the battle system doesn't blow up in their face. I really want Pokémon to be successful with their debut on the Switch like Mario and Zelda were.

I'm not familiar with Ni no Kuni's battle system. What's it like?
Well the battle system is a mixture of real time combat and jrpg combat. You have you characters, who are basically trainers, and their little creatures known as familiars. At the start of the battle you have the option of which familiar you throw out to fight, you can also just play as your character to fight on his but trainers don't fight so ignore that, when it's out you're in full control of the control of the creature to move around the field. The familiar's have HP and MP, MP is used for their skills, you can also use the regular attack which allows it to auto attack at no cost of MP, so think of Mystery Dungeon's tackle attack in that regard. Skills use up MP and are used for powerful attacks or raising stats. Now for the action part. You are in full control of these creatures. You can run around the arena like stage and attack the enemy, you can dodge certain attacks, or even guard to reduce damage. However some enemy attacks are unavoidable so guarding is the best option in that case. The system also has a rock/paper/scissors type advantages. Each creature is strong and weak against certain types. Now as for the trainer even though they won't fight, this is where your options to switch, throw items, and retreat come from. You switch control from the creature to do this.

Well the battle system is a mixture of real time combat and jrpg combat. You have you characters, who are basically trainers, and their little creatures known as familiars. At the start of the battle you have the option of which familiar you throw out to fight, you can also just play as your character to fight on his but trainers don't fight so ignore that, when it's out you're in full control of the control of the creature to move around the field. The familiar's have HP and MP, MP is used for their skills, you can also use the regular attack which allows it to auto attack at no cost of MP, so think of Mystery Dungeon's tackle attack in that regard. Skills use up MP and are used for powerful attacks or raising stats. Now for the action part. You are in full control of these creatures. You can run around the arena like stage and attack the enemy, you can dodge certain attacks, or even guard to reduce damage. However some enemy attacks are unavoidable so guarding is the best option in that case. The system also has a rock/paper/scissors type advantages. Each creature is strong and weak against certain types. Now as for the trainer even though they won't fight, this is where your options to switch, throw items, and retreat come from. You switch control from the creature to do this.

Ah, I see. That would be very interesting. I can't see Pokémon doing something like that but then again, I'm in such denial and confusion about these supposed battle system changes. I hope that the "external help" that Game Freak is getting is honestly coming from Nintendo EPD or someone else within or close to Nintendo and not outside help like from a Sony or Microsoft company, which is what I honestly fear. I just asked @Desdar300 on Twitter about what his sources mean by the battle system being made "more simplistic". I probably won't get much of an answer other than that it's "hearsay". So we just have to wait and see what happens with these supposed battle system changes sadly. I hope that we get a surprise update for the Switch game(s) on Pokémon Day (February 27th). But I honestly think our best bet of getting anything is going to be at E3 in June based on what @TheMonster6893's source told him not too long ago. I hate waiting. I want the juicy details now! Ugh. Oh well. Nothing you can really do.

I hope you're right. I just don't want Pokémon to become some typeless button mashing fest. I'm really worried by what @Desdar300 meant by the battle system being made "more simplistic". Especially because Pokémon, like you said, is already simplistic enough as is. But the sad thing, I talked to @Desdar300 and asked if his sources showed him any pictures or video of the battle system or if they've seen any pictures or video. And he said that it was all just hearsay. I hope that his sources are just using a comparison based on their own personal experiences from seeing pictures and just said "Oh, this reminds me of Digimon World or Pokkén Tournament" and not that they've actually seen video of how it plays. I really hope that Game Freak does something original and doesn't copy the battle style from those games down to their code. I hope they're not that stupid. That's what I fear. Because also according to @Desdar300, they are getting "external help" to finish the battle system. I hope that this external help is from Nintendo EPD, which worked on Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, which were both very successful games in my opinion. If they go in the direction of those games with innovation, I think we can expect great things. At least one would hope. Game Freak has been known to screw up in the past. So I hope whatever they supposedly plan to do to the battle system doesn't blow up in their face. I really want Pokémon to be successful with their debut on the Switch like Mario and Zelda were.
If they screw up then they need to make sure to fix it. That’s what I think the best creators do.

For example level five added features to their Inazuma Eleven series each generation. By forth generation they had this thing called avatars that were ridiculously annoying and made the game unnecessarily difficult and less about skill. With their next game they’ve gone back to basics and we don’t have any crazy features like avatars.

That’s still real time, and plenty of real time have that. To again use inazuma, they use elemtns in there games and to a point it’s real time. It’s a soccer game so it admittedly is somewhat different. But triangles and stuff ain’t that uncommon. Issue remains having to have those proper reflexes.

What's this?

/vp/ - ポケットモンスター - Pokémon - 4chan

If they screw up then they need to make sure to fix it. That’s what I think the best creators do.

For example level five added features to their Inazuma Eleven series each generation. By forth generation they had this thing called avatars that were ridiculously annoying and made the game unnecessarily difficult and less about skill. With their next game they’ve gone back to basics and we don’t have any crazy features like avatars.

I hope that Game Freak doesn't screw the game(s) up. I really hope they know what they are doing. I want this game to be the best that it can be. Praying for good results. I remember seeing an interview with Masuda and Ohmori for the Switch game from Game Informer. They said to close the interview that "We'll do our best". I see to it that they will do so. They've let us down before in the past (like no Battle Frontier for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and among other things) but I want to try to have confidence in them that they will get it right for the Switch. According to that same interview, they know that the expectations are high for the Switch game(s) and the pressure is on to answer those expectations. I hope this isn't a facade Masuda is putting up.

What's this?

I translated the text from the OP on Google Translate, and it says "The scheduled release date next year is the United States". It's not an accurate translation because Google Translator is crap, but I assume what they are saying is "The game is scheduled for release next year in the United States". I went on another translator and it translated to "The release date is America next year." It's interesting because most 4chan leaks we see on this thread don't come from Japanese people. I'll bring it up with Lavandula on her Twitter and see what she thinks.

Last edited:
What's this?

Tossing the first one into google translate got me “The scheduled release date next year is the United States”

The other I won’t bother posting what it translated as because it was disgusting and unrelated. Probably a troll.
I hope that Game Freak doesn't screw the game(s) up. I really hope they know what they are doing. I want this game to be the best that it can be. Praying for good results. I remember seeing an interview with Masuda and Ohmori for the Switch game from Game Informer. They said to close the interview that "We'll do our best". I see to it that they will do so. They've let us down before in the past (like no Battle Frontier for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and among other things) but I want to try to have confidence in them that they will get it right for the Switch. According to that same interview, they know that the expectations are high for the Switch game(s) and the pressure is on to answer those expectations. I hope this isn't a facade Masuda is putting up.

They can do their best, but what they might be doing their best on might not be what the majority likes.

They can do their best, but what they might be doing their best on might not be what the majority likes.

That's what I fear. I fear that if the battle system changes do not go well with fans, that Game Freak can lose 40% to 50% of their fans in an instant. That's a rough early estimate. Most of the fanbase is casual and they have the majority rule in how Game Freak makes decisions I think. Only like 10% (maybe not even that) of the fanbase is hardcore VGC players. Which I think will be rocked by this change regardless of what they do. I saw a VGC player on Twitter do a poll back in late December when the battle system changes leak was first made public. The poster asked "If the rumors about the new battle system for the Switch game end up being true, will you quit VGC?" 51% said "No" and 49% said "Yes". It was pretty close. I just hope that Game Freak knows what they are doing. I really pray to Arceus.

That's what I fear. I fear that if the battle system changes do not go well with fans, that Game Freak can lose 40% to 50% of their fans in an instant. That's a rough early estimate. Most of the fanbase is casual and they have the majority rule in how Game Freak makes decisions I think. Only like 10% (maybe not even that) of the fanbase is hardcore VGC players. Which I think will be rocked by this change regardless of what they do. I saw a VGC player on Twitter do a poll back in late December when the battle system changes leak was first made public. The poster asked "If the rumors about the new battle system for the Switch game end up being true, will you quit VGC?" 51% said "No" and 49% said "Yes". It was pretty close. I just hope that Game Freak knows what they are doing. I really pray to Arceus.
I think if that happens, they need to make sure they go back to the original system in the next game. GF doesn’t listen to fans enough I think, but they do have to start doing it and truly thinking more like us becaise it will cost them in the long run

So a new scan from CoroCoro has leaked. One side "revealing" that Lugia is in the movie (no duh) and the other talks about Detective Pikachu so whatever. Curiously as far as I've seen there's still no title. This makes me definitely think there' something up in the movie that we're not supposed to know about. If the title was nondescript like "I Choose You' then they'd have put it in CoroCoro or even announced it much earlier. They haven't however. This makes me think Zeraora will be in the title. This CoroCoro spread along with the fact we have an actor with "big news" showing up this weekend on Pokenchi tells me they're getting ready to announce Zeraora and the movie title in one go. I bet we get a new trailer this weekend showing Zeraora in the movie. Whatever happens after that will have to be gen 8 stuff. (plus movie stuff too, but whatever about that lol) Just a matter of when the gen 8 stuff is coming.

Last edited:
So a new scan from CoroCoro has leaked. One side "revealing" that Lugia is in the movie (no duh) and the other talks about Detective Pikachu so whatever. Curiously as far as I've seen there's still no title. This makes me definitely think there' something up in the movie that we're not supposed to know about. If the title was nondescript like "I Choose You' then they'd have put it in CoroCoro or even announced it much earlier. They haven't however. This makes me think Zeraora will be in the title. This CoroCoro spread along with the fact we have an actor with "big news" showing up this weekend on Pokenchi tells me they're getting ready to announce Zeraora and the movie title in one go. I bet we get a new trailer this weekend showing Zeraora in the movie. Whatever happens after that will have to eb gen 8 stuff. (plus movie stuff too, but whatever about that lol) Just a matter of when the gen 8 stuff is coming.

I hope that we get to see Zeraora this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers! I want to get Zeraora out of the way, so that we can pave a path open for some Generation 8 stuff.

Probably should've posted this earlier. Not the best at explaining.

Thanks for the video! I really do well with seeing visuals. I honestly wouldn't mind something similar to this actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom