• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagreed^ For a home console main game release, they should go all out with innovation. Not necessarily the battle system, mind you, but it needs some huge revamps. Change needs to occur.

To keep this post on topic :'D That's why I'd totally love if some of these "leaks" that feature huge changes would become true to some extent.
Not this much. Too little change is bad, but too much change is equally bad. If GF does go all out with change, they will risk alienating fans and decreasing sales.

There is something about this that just screams "it might be real" to me

https://archived.moe/vp/thread/34603133

Idk, ill let you all discuss it for a bit before I put it in the main post.
If he translates the trailers instead of the games, he probably will not have seen the final stages of the starters.
Final starters don't typically get revealed until many months later from the first trailers.
And the games probably won't have Polish version.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSdX5RnVQAIfATm.jpg:large

Someone sent me this.
Looks like mix and match from the current leaks.

But the PP meter it mentions is not completely impossible.
PP meter was a scrapped idea prior to Gen 1, it is documented in Bulbapedia with photos of concept art.

On the other hand, I really think the blonde haired girl is the Movie 21 girl.

That one I'm almost ready to store in the back of my mind for future reference. The PP meter sounds interesting and kind of believable. That is also the 3rd time I've seen a "Kanto re-imagining/revamp/sequel" being brought up in a rumor. It's almost reminding me of how the Rainbow Rocket leak kept popping up in one place after another... funny enough, this rumor also mentions a continuation of that particular storyline.

The goal should be adding or improving things, not just to be different. Change just for the sake of change isn't necessarily a good thing. Change can be good or bad.
That's what I've been saying. They don't need to change Pokemon so much that it becomes nearly unrecognizable just because of more powerful hardware. They need to improve on what they already got. I do not think that the Switch game will feature a new battle system.

That's what I've been saying. They don't need to change Pokemon so much that it becomes nearly unrecognizable just because of more powerful hardware. They need to improve on what they already got. I do not think that the Switch game will feature a new battle system.
Need I remind you how well Breath of the Wild turned out, and you can argue that game was different for the sake of being different.

Just because it worked for one franchise doesn't mean that it will work for another.
It can always though. As fans we have to admit that can't cater to just us forever, they need a way to draw in more people the franchise and it won't work if the game doesn't do anything to bring people in. Now I get getting used to something vastly different is tough for many, but no change is just as unhealthy as too much change. The least we can do is have them be free to experiment, instead of acting like children about it.

The alleged "Kanto reimagining" leak claims that minimal gameplay will be shown in the next Direct. So we'll soon see if the person was lying.

Note that they didn't mention Pikachu having a new Z-move. Just making the event-exclusive move regularly obtainable would be special. But I can only see Pikachu working as a secondary starter.

The player character had better be Red's relative rather than Red himself. Make the games sequels, especially if there isn't an evil team until the post-game.

Changing the battle system will alienate many players, especially competitive players, who will be forced to adapt to a completely new metagame and they may not like it. It will also decrease sales as many veteran players will also be alienated. It's best financially for GF to stick with how they make Pokemon games now.

Changing the battle system will alienate many players, especially competitive players, who will be forced to adapt to a completely new metagame and they may not like it. It will also decrease sales as many veteran players will also be alienated. It's best financially for GF to stick with how they make Pokemon games now.

You keep saying this, but competitive players are not the only ones playing the games. Just because one portion of the fanbase may not like something doesn't mean GF shouldn't try new stuff out for people who might be interested. And yes, some veteran players may feel alienated, but others may like it and try it out and it could also bring in new fans. There's nothing wrong with trying something new even if a portion of the fans may not like it.

And this is only if the rumor turns out to be true, which it very well may not be.

The goal should be adding or improving things, not just to be different. Change just for the sake of change isn't necessarily a good thing. Change can be good or bad.
Adding and improving only gets you so far, at one point, you'll have to reinvent the wheel to keep up, and Pokemon will now be competing with big hitters on a hybrid console, so, they need to shape up.

Pleasing the core fanbase is not something they can afford to sacrifice potentially gaining a wider audience for. It might make some people unhappy, but that's how it goes.

It's kind of why I say we shouldn't act like children about it. We can't just pull a Stewie and go "I don't like change!" at the first thing that's different. I mean come on, if people adapted to how Pokken plays quickly enough to make a meta of that game, it shouldn't be hard for a new battle system. Also it's not like there aren't people who skip regular pokemon games either for being uninterested either right? Playing safe isn't going to always cut it

I think that these games will just be a run of the mill new generation. Nothing special.

I've seen you say this before whenever the suggestion of a Kanto revisit (not remake) has come up. I don't see it as a very good rebuttal, mostly because of what has been suggested for Kanto in this thread so far; redesigned region and new story set in the future, and a few brand-new Pokemon being introduced. These things can qualify as the start of a new Generation, especially since now we're making a big move to a new gaming platform for the main series. If Game Freak can introduce brand-new Pokemon in the middle of a Gen like they did with the UB's in USUM, then I think that opens up the possibility for literally anything to happen.

There's a lot, and I mean a lot, of both new and old players who are getting hyped for the Switch game as we speak. Sure, there could be a few concerns at first, but the sheer dedication of most fans will show that they're willing to try something new. Nobody is saying that the battle system will be drastically changed from the turn-based system we've all known and loved for the past 20 years... but because of how the Switch works compared to the 2-screen DS and 3DS handhelds, there's obviously gonna be some sort of gameplay change no matter what in order for the core Pokemon series to work properly on the Switch.

Adding and improving only gets you so far, at one point, you'll have to reinvent the wheel to keep up
I don't understand what you're saying here. Is reinventing not improving something? Reinventing the wheel should result in a better wheel, not a different wheel that's not any better.
and Pokemon will now be competing with big hitters on a hybrid console, so, they need to shape up.
The highest-selling game on the Switch is BotW, with 4.7 million games sold. List of best-selling Nintendo Switch video games - Wikipedia

SuMo has 15.9 million copies sold. List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia (And it was released only four months before BotW)

Pokemon is already a pretty big hitter.
Pleasing the core fanbase is not something they can afford to sacrifice potentially gaining a wider audience for. It might make some people unhappy, but that's how it goes.
With a difference of about 9 million people, Pokemon games already have a massively higher amount of sales than any Switch game on the market. The core fanbase is the wider audience.

Whoa, what the hell? No disrespect to the mods, but one of you guys posted a link to 4chan listing trademarks for a "Pokemon 1" and "Pokemon 0". Now that post has disappeared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom