• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the rumors that they are going to do a reboot for the Switch and I don't mind it will be like Pokemon Insursure. I thought Pokemon insurgence is dark and really fun fan game beside Pokemon Uranium.

I hope Game Freak doesn't threats Pokemon insurgence's creators like they did with the Pokemon Uranium creators. I thought it's really sad that Game Freak did that,but the Uranium team are a bunch of kids that having fun. Uranium and Sun/Moon games have similar story plots,but I think the Uranium idea came out of a Kajiu movie and it came out before Sun/Moon has released.

Probably Game Freak finally has comes a realize that they are running out for new POkemon for the newest generation and they wanted to restart from square one. Probably they like the fan game idea after they has a lot of people was playing fan games when the Sun/Moon games and anime doesn't do great after they came out and want to cooperate with their new games. At least they added more stuff like previous generation to the Ultra version and change up the storyline. I like that. I think they also realize that people don't care about new Pokemon and possible they are aiming for a dark and driven storyline to let older players and younger players,too.

Instead of speculating in a very random and useless way about the next games being a reboot, how about you reboot your boot picture?

If The Legend of Zelda had remained 2D, it would have been a series of improvements. But it made the jump to 3D, it reinvented itself, and it massively paid off.
So, the switch to 3D was...an improvement?

Quite the false equivalency. Breath of the Wild sold 4.7 million on a completely new (and expensive, naturally) console, on a market where it's competing with other 2 home consoles who are doing quite well. Sun and Moon sold much more... On a console that's been alive since 2011 and has sold over 80 million hardware units, it already has a gigantic install base. That's not a proper comparison.

It's not intended to be a complete comparison. There's no main series series game on a home console, so there's no game that has been in the exact same position as BotW. Even games that were released on newer handhelds, like DP and the DS or XY and the 3DS (which both made similar numbers) were on consoles that didn't cost as much.

My comparison was just to show the level of interest. Yes, there's many other factors involved, finances especially, but if a game is getting almost four times as many sales as another, it's not a stretch to say that it's likely to do well on another console, even if some of its buyers aren't interested in or able to get the console itself.

I wholly agree, the Switch has less available players than the 3DS. Even now, they only just passed the 10 million mark in December. If every Switch owner now bought a main series game on the Switch, it still wouldn't surpass SuMo in sales.

But that's part of why I gave SuMo's sales number. You claim that, on the Switch, Pokemon will have to change to reach "a wider audience" rather than fans that already play the games. But the entire audience that already has a Switch-even if none of them played main series Pokemon, which is obviously not the case-is smaller than the already existing fans. It's simply not true to say that Game Freak must seek to please newcomers and forgo existing fans. In fact, it's the less profitable option.

Last edited:
Can we just calm down a minute and switch (haha) to a new topic? While reading all of this back and forth on change and the battle system, I remembered that EVERYTHING goes through Satoshi Tajiri, since he is the CEO of Game Freak after all. So, my question is, would Satoshi really approve of all of the changes that are being speculated about here? While I would say no (since he has autism, not in a rude manner, and autistic people do not seem to like massive change), I also remembered that he is actually the executive producer of the Detective Pikachu movie, so maybe his time is being spent elsewhere more recently? In any case, I do ultimately find that anything that could become closer to Satoshi's original image for Pokemon could happen, such as the change to PP or a reimagining of Kanto that allows for the true image that Satoshi had to be realized after so many years. However, I find it hard to believe that the battle system will be changed as people are making it out to be, with some having the "if-they-change-it-Pokemon-will-be-ruined" mentality, even though Satoshi created the concept and has every right to make the games in the image that he wants. Thus, if there is a change to the battle system, it won't do away with absolutely everything or emulate Digimon World to a T, but rather serve as a simplification that brings Pokemon back to its original principles that may be becoming lost.

Finally, I must say that there is almost no point fighting over the possibility of leaks or rumors being true until we actually get official information that may either support or quash such, since comparing something (rumors/leaks) to almost nothing (the reveal at E3 and Reggie's comment) isn't practical or necessarily intelligent. That's just my 2 cents though .

I don’t think Tajiri takes much of an active role in the games anymore. According to Masuda via the guys at Game Informer, Tajiri gets involved “when he’s interested” but mostly spends his time doing media research.

Besides that, it’s not as if the games haven’t already gone through numerous big changes in the fifteen years since the series was handed off to Masuda.

I don’t think Tajiri takes much of an active role in the games anymore. According to Masuda via the guys at Game Informer, Tajiri gets involved “when he’s interested” but mostly spends his time doing media research.

Besides that, it’s not as if the games haven’t already gone through numerous big changes in the fifteen years since the series was handed off to Masuda.
Except none of them are as drastic as completely changing the battle system.

Except none of them are as drastic as completely changing the battle system.

I’d argue that completely overhauling the data structure for Pokémon to work with IVs and EVs while also giving them Abilities and Natures and Flavor preferences and Contest stats and so on was a pretty significant fundamental change compared to what we had in Gens 1 and 2.

“when he’s interested”

Well, I would imagine that reimagining Kanto, which is the region he created himself, or changing the core battle system would certainly gain his interest/involve him heavily.

I’d argue that completely overhauling the data structure for Pokémon to work with IVs and EVs while also giving them Abilities and Natures and flavor preferences and so on was a pretty significant fundamental change compared to what we had in Gens 1 and 2.

Personally, I don't really see that as massive, since all that changed was the coding (and a few other things), not really the basics.

since he has autism

Wait wut......Sorry I don't mean to get off topic, but I've never heard that he straight up has Autism. I know he's incredibly shy and an introvert, but that doesn't mean he's autistic. Where did you hear this? lol

ON TOPIC: As stated before (I forget by who, I think @lavandula) The battle system was vastly different than how it is when they were first planning it. Iirc it had what some of these rumors are talking about such as a general pp meter that would recharge as opposed to how we know it today.

DasVergeben, a leaker who had leaked correctly before, claims there'll be a Nintendo Direct in January, and that it would have some Pokemon Switch gameplay.

So, I think we'll see quite soon.

EDIT: Sorry I spelled his name wrong.
Can you provide to a link when he says that? If this is someone who has leaked correctly in the past and says something is coming this month then it is something to be excited about!

I think you can literally search up any article on Satoshi Tajiri's story or watch videos on such and they'll mention that he has Asperger syndrome (aka autism).

Here's just one for your convenience:

View: https://youtu.be/h1tOsta5z5Q?t=55s

Well that was adorable. Thank you for sharing.

Anyway to stay on topic I still think that a change of the battle system wouldn't be nearly as catastrophic as people seem to think it would be. It'll be different for sure, but not as damaging as everyone's imaginations seem to draw it out to be. Again this is GF. Just as everyone is saying GF doesn't typically like change. When they do change things tho the change is typically very easy to understand and more often than not doesn't harm the core game concepts that much if at all. They know their target audience and won't do anything that would make the system too confusing for children. Regardless if people like it or not it won't change the fact that it'll still be a Pokemon game. The over feel will likely be about the same as it's always been. I remember back when we learned about the Trials and people were very similarly fearing that SM wouldn't feel like a Pokemon game without gyms. Guess what, it felt exactly like a Pokemon and was imo a great change that made things even just slightly fresher than the last couple of games.

I’d argue that completely overhauling the data structure for Pokémon to work with IVs and EVs while also giving them Abilities and Natures and Flavor preferences and Contest stats and so on was a pretty significant fundamental change compared to what we had in Gens 1 and 2.

Those are additions that result into a changing mindset, not change itself.

I hope Game Freak doesn't threats Pokemon insurgence's creators like they did with the Pokemon Uranium creators. I thought it's really sad that Game Freak did that,but the Uranium team are a bunch of kids that having fun. Uranium and Sun/Moon games have similar story plots,but I think the Uranium idea came out of a Kajiu movie and it came out before Sun/Moon has released.
Uranium wasn't taken down because it was too similar to SuMo-it was taken down because it got a million downloads in a week. There are other games that have had more similarities-Ethereal Gates has a Fire-type cat starter, and SolarLight/LunarDark has a Poison-type named Poipole. Both of these are still actively developing.
Probably they like the fan game idea after they has a lot of people was playing fan games when the Sun/Moon games and anime doesn't do great after they came out and want to cooperate with their new games.
  1. Sun and Moon sold 15.9 million copies, the 43rd best-selling games of all time. That's doing quite well.
  2. Fangames have been going on for a lot longer than just around Sun and Moon. (For reference-Pokemon Uranium took nine years to develop, and its creators were inspired by other fangames)
  3. Companies can't profit off a fan's idea without credit-that's plagiarism.
I think they also realize that people don't care about new Pokemon and possible they are aiming for a dark and driven storyline to let older players and younger players,too.
???? A major part of the appeal for both Uranium and Insurgence is their fanmade Pokemon. Sure, not everyone wants more Pokemon, but it's not like you can say people flat-out don't care about them.

Well, I would imagine that reimagining Kanto, which is the region he created himself, or changing the core battle system would certainly gain his interest/involve him heavily.

You’re certainly free to imagine.

Personally, I don't really see that as massive, since all that changed was the coding (and a few other things), not really the basics.

Abilities alone are a significant expansion in terms of what factors are at play within a battle. And we have to remember that this came in conjunction with the introduction of Double Battles which, while not necessarily a big change on their own in concept, opened up a wealth of new battling strategies and combinations to all Pokémon.

I also seem to recall lots of people freaking out about Mega Evolution when it was first revealed, saying it was too much like Digivolution and didn’t belong in the Pokémon series. But Tajiri’s doing fine today after that despite it being far beyond his original vision for the series. Call me crazy, but I just don’t see him being too bothered about a change in how Speed and PP work (especially if, as lavandula suggests, the PP meter is a call-back to the early concept work for Capsule Monsters) when it would be reasonably justified by coming in conjunction with something as significant as the series’s first console games, especially when he doesn’t tend to involve himself with the games anyway.

But Tajiri’s doing fine today after that despite it being far beyond his original vision for the series.

I don't think anyone can truly confirm this. If anything, such is fluid, seeing as though Mega Evolutions only have to do with form changes (albeit a bit more extravagant) and a bit of evolution, which doesn't seem to me like its outside the realm of comfort for Satoshi.

However, the image that people have painted of a complete redesign of the battle system is almost for sure not the case, since I don't think Satoshi is willing to change something so drastically. However, I am not saying that it won't happen. If a change to the battle system does happen, it will be as TheMonster6893 said, which is understandable and still embodying the spirit of Pokemon.

Abilities alone are a significant expansion in terms of what factors are at play within a battle. And we have to remember that this came in conjunction with the introduction of Double Battles which, while not necessarily a big change on their own in concept, opened up a wealth of new battling strategies and combinations to all Pokémon.

As you said, adding double battles wasn't a big change to the concept, which is all that I am solely talking about. A change to the battle system would undoubtedly be considered as changing a concept, if not the single most important concept of the franchise (possibly tied with the Pokemon themselves). For me, the basic system is that you choose an attack, execute it, the opponent attacks, and repeat, with the use of an item or switching replacing an attack in the sequence. Quite evidently, nothing has come close to changing such, even if the Pokemon themselves have changed. Even then (on the subject of Pokemon themselves), an Alakazam from Gen 1 can be seen as being equivalent to a Lurantis in Gen 7, as they are still entities that transcend merely being numbers, if that makes any sense. Thus, a massive change to Pokemon themselves would be something like using a machine to fuse (the majority of) Pokemon together, not Mega Evolution that changes their appearance.

I don't think anyone can truly confirm this. If anything, such is fluid, seeing as though Mega Evolutions only have to do with form changes (albeit a bit more extravagant) and a bit of evolution, which doesn't seem to me like its outside the realm of comfort for Satoshi.

However, the image that people have painted of a complete redesign of the battle system is almost for sure not the case, since I don't think Satoshi is willing to change something so drastically. However, I am not saying that it won't happen. If a change to the battle system does happen, it will be as TheMonster6893 said, which is understandable and still embodying the spirit of Pokemon.

As you said, adding double battles wasn't a big change to the concept, which is all that I am solely talking about. A change to the battle system would undoubtedly be considered as changing a concept, if not the single most important concept of the franchise (possibly tied with the Pokemon themselves). For me, the basic system is that you choose an attack, execute it, the opponent attacks, and repeat, with the use of an item or switching replacing an attack in the sequence. Quite evidently, nothing has come close to changing such, even if the Pokemon themselves have changed. Even then (on the subject of Pokemon themselves), an Alakazam from Gen 1 can be seen as being equivalent to a Lurantis in Gen 7, as they are still entities that transcend merely being numbers, if that makes any sense. Thus, a massive change to Pokemon themselves would be something like using a machine to fuse (the majority of) Pokemon together, not Mega Evolution that changes their appearance.

I totally agree. Changes that lead to a changing mindset are much riskier than additons that lead to a changing mindset.

Didn't a game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 take like 2 years to develop the actual game itself? And do you know how big and beautiful that game is? I get that longer development times equals better games for some, but it doesn't need to take more than 3 years to develop a game for pokemon.

Not really, according with this article, they began the development of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 back on July of 2014. They had developed the game simultaneously with Xenoblade Chronicles X and had reuse the engine of this game. In the other words, they had approximately 3 years and 5 months for development of XC 2.

Beside this, Monolith Soft is a team that have a waay more experience on making big games for home gaming consoles than Game Freak has. The comparison between the two seems a little bit unfair.

Not really, according with this article, they began the development of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 back on July of 2014. They had developed the game simultaneously with Xenoblade Chronicles X and had reuse the engine of this game. In the other words, they had approximately 3 years and 5 months for development of XC 2.

Beside this, Monolith Soft is a team that have a waay more experience on making big games for home gaming consoles than Game Freak has. The comparison between the two seems a little bit unfair.
Yeah I saw that they began "Plans" for the game. I'm talking actual development for the gameplay and game itself. I believe that started in 2015

Just changing code is not comparable to changing the entire genre of the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom