• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even pretending that overhauling to 3D doesn't take a lot of work (600+ 3D models?), they also included Pokemon Amie, the Fairy type, and the PSS.

Yeah, but my point is that it's a lot of work that doesn't really translate into a lot of content. It's just more work to give us what we've already had but prettier. Can you really call that "putting a lot in"? Because I sure wouldn't call it that.

I feel like names are always weird to hear for the first time. XY certainly wasn't a name I expected. Neither were Sun or Moon. Now they sound fine, but before they felt odd. In any case it' hardly matters what they call the games lol

Hot and Cold? I can see the Katy Perry jokes from 10 miles away haha.

I don't think them releasing the game this year means that they're rushing it. They have most likely begun working on the games sometime before Sun and Moon were released, regardless of any personal opinions that they had about the Switch's success. Another thing to consider is that they may use the same graphics and models as what's in SM/USUM, so that right there already takes out a chunk of time spent developing the games.

In all honesty regardless of when they release the Switch game it seems more like Gen 7 itself was the gen they worked less hard on (sort of I guess?) or had rushed out. As great as it was (imo anyway) the gen clearly had some developmental issues going on in the background. Also while Masuda wasn't completely hands off for SM he was technically not the director so he prolly was working on something else during the development of SM (other than the music that is). In addition to this we were hearing stuff about how the team basically slapped together the trials and even if they turned out good it's still very telling that they even had to be slapped together in the first place. I realize part of that is because they had originally intended them to be gyms, but considering Ohmori said he was almost the only person that coded the trials into the game you gotta wonder what everyone else was doing. On top of all that they had a very small team working on USUM which was comprised of mostly new or younger staff while all the more experienced staff were working on the Switch game. The fact that USUM was what it was makes it seem like they never intended gen 7 to be anything more than a stop gap before they jumped to the Switch. Otherwise I'd imagine USUM would have something else entirely or at the very least more than it was in general. It seems to me like they knew right from the get go that they'd have to be developing for the Switch and designed gen 7 the way they did on purpose. People keep acting like they started on the Switch game in 2016, but to be honest I think they started even as early as 2015. Sure maybe not in full gear, but I think they definitely knew they'd have to make a Switch game and in turn started a little early. They always start doing concept work super early on, but this time I think they started laying the ground work for the Switch game much earlier than normal. Nintendo and GF have a very unique relationship and due to that GF has been known to get information on up coming projects super early on. GF was one of the very first developers to get the 3DS dev kits after all. Considering the Switch is a big jump from what GF is used to working on I'd say Nintendo most likely gave them early dev kits for it too. The game may come out until next year, but I'd say the development time for it is most likely much longer than most people expect it to be.

I think people way way to much focus on when it's releasing instead of what's actually in game. whether it comes in 2018, 2019 or 3000.

the game needs to be good

I think people way way to much focus on when it's releasing instead of what's actually in game. whether it comes in 2018, 2019 or 3000.

the game needs to be good

I know it's kind of a crappy thing to say, but it'll be a Pokemon game. Sure XY weren't the strongest games in the series, but in the end they were up to at least the base standard of the Pokemon franchise. Pokemon games are generally "good". Are the the best games around? No they are not, but they all have a charm to them that allow people to generally accept whatever flaws the series comes with and everyone can in some way enjoy each game in some fashion. So to that I'll say the next game with be a Pokemon game. It'll likely meet the same standard we've come to know and that'll be that. Is it a good answer? I'm not sure, but it's honestly the best you can get for now. Unless they wholly break the mold and do something crazy different that seems to be the best way to describe how the next gen will be.

Last edited:
With what's being said around the grapevine, the titles will be decisive either way.
Though that's what makes things fun.
Especially when the chaos ensues.
That's always the best part.

Hot/Cool, 1/0, +/-, etc. The fake names this time really are something, aren't they? People would've been guessing 'Topaz' or 'Amethyst' years ago, it really shows the direction Gamefreak's gone with game names.

Honestly we'll cross that bridge at some point, I'd imagine pokemon is getting harder to name
In terms of symbolic names, probably imo. But Gamefreak still has plenty of gemstones, alloys, base/precious metals, colours, and trademarked names to choose from.

Hot/Cool, 1/0, +/-, etc. The fake names this time really are something, aren't they? People would've been guessing 'Topaz' or 'Amethyst' years ago, it really shows the direction Gamefreak's gone with game names.

Personally I cannot see "Hot/Cold", 0,1 or + and - as names. But I can see why people may think they're possible after X and Y happened.

I'd like them to go for concepts like the truth and ideals thing in Black/White. Maybe games named Pokemon Peace and Conflict? But I imagine war-like concepts can get tricky in a children's game. But then again they managed to pull off BW which questioned the ethics of Pokemon..

Personally I cannot see "Hot/Cold", 0,1 or + and - as names. But I can see why people may think they're possible after X and Y happened.
Neither do I, they sound more like low hanging fruit than genuine names mo.

I'd like them to go for concepts like the truth and ideals thing in Black/White. Maybe games named Pokemon Peace and Conflict? But I imagine war-like concepts can get tricky in a children's game. But then again they managed to pull off BW which questioned the ethics of Pokemon..
Maybe Pokémon Tempest and Tranquility? After BW and XY's themes (especially the Kalos War), I doubt they have qualms over using war and peace.

Last edited:
Neither do I, they sound more like low hanging fruit that names that sound genuine imo.

Maybe Pokémon Tempest and Tranquility? After BW and XY's themes (especially the Kalos War), I doubt they have qualms over using war and peace.
Exactly and even they do go with the hot and cold contrast idea, I doubt the names would be something as basal as that.

Maybe Pokémon Tempest and Tranquility?

Pokemon generally tends to use simple names for its games (the most ‘complex’ ones which come to my mind are Sapphire and Platinum, but even those are simple enough). Tempest and Tranquility do not fit that aesthetic imo. Many children might be unfamiliar with ‘Tempest’.

If war and peace is the theme then the options fitting in the usual Pokémon aesthetic are-
- Pokémon War and Peace
- Pokémon Conflict and Peace
- Pokémon Chaos and Order

I really cannot see gamefreak making an explicit “Pokémon War Version” for PR reasons, and Chaos and Order sounds too ‘edgy’.

For Trials being slapped in at the last minute, they were pretty damn good in my opinion. People had been complaining for years that the Gyms have been too easy, so I think they got their wish with Gen 7. My only hope for Gen 8 other than a good plot is that they make the Gyms or whatever we get just as challenging.

I don't think GF are gonna go with any titles that are obviously connected to war. Other than concerned parents, they've shown with XY that they can explore that concept without giving the games some long fancy name that sounds edgy with deep meaning. IMO, some of the fans that come up with those names are the ones that want Pokemon to become something that it's not; something that's specifically aimed at adults while alienating the kids.

I know it's kind of a crappy thing to say, but it'll be a Pokemon game. Sure XY weren't the strongest games in the series, but in the end they were up to at least the base standard of the Pokemon franchise. Pokemon games are generally "good".
I agree with you and I'm sure the new Pokemon games will sell well regardless of their content. However, I also see a lot of concerns over not wanting a repeat of the 3DS era. It's not that the 3DS games were bad, but many consider them inferior to the DS era games. Some people may be reluctant to shell out the money for a Switch, especially if there aren't other Switch games they are interested in. I think the Switch era games should be a little more than just "good"... or maybe I just want to see better games because Pokemon still has a lot of untapped potential.

There haven't been any really believable ones recently. The best thing we got recently was that analyst saying they predict stuff to come by the end of March, but that's not much of a rumor nor does it mean we'll definitely get anything for sure. One thing to note that has been said a page or so back is that Nintendo took down another Direct from their page after putting up the min one we got the other day. So a full direct is definitely coming. Whether it's a Pokemon direct or not isn't clear. Could be a general direct or on focused on something entirely unrelated to Pokemon like Fire Emblem. Also it's hard to say when supposed direct would even happen. It could happen this month or it could happen next.

So here is how I think things will go down

Zeraora will likely be revealed in February

Games will likely be revealed in March giving a 10 month period until December

April will likely reveal a new Eeveelution

Games will in fact be set in Spain. Since Spain is known as the land of rabbits, and a prehistoric panda, the starters will probably go like this...

Grass/Dark Panda

Fire/Fairy Rabbit

Water/Poison Platypus

Gimmick will likely be revealed in August, and will probably be the ability to summon a “5th” Pokemon in battle.

Break Year 2019

D/P remakes 2020

Generation 9 in 2021. 25th anniversary edition. Based on China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom