• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Also Also:

If the Plus and Minus Rumors are true and the new Battle mode is only when the system is docked*, that'll be a stroke of thematic brilliance with old vs. new. Not only will you experience traditional gameplay, but you'll be playing it on a handheld. It'll physically drive home whatever point they're trying to make. I kind of hope it's true.

*Just a guess, but it'll probably know to switch modes when you attach the joy-cons. I wonder if they'll allow you to play that setup on a TV by attaching the controllers to the grip, whereas the new way will require dual motion control like Odyssey "suggests". I think that would satisfy the largest amount of people, although it wouldn't be as thematically compelling. But it's about the sales soooooooooo.

nintendo europe hinting that the game will be out in the next 12 months
DTncj9tXkAA4UEE.jpg:large

VERY INTERESTING!! I imagine the top part is asking what games people plan on buying over the next 12 months? It's very interesting to see them continue to hint at the game coming this year or early 2019. I feel like it's beginning to be a little too obvious it'll be coming sooner than later. Especially given how the anime is continuing to blast through content.

Nice! FINALLY something good yeah definitely is looking to be a late 2018-early 2019 title!
Also Also Also:

If the Plus and Minus Rumors are true and the new Battle mode is only when the system is docked*, that'll be a stroke of thematic brilliance with old vs. new. Not only will you experience traditional gameplay, but you'll be playing it on a handheld. It'll physically drive home whatever point they're trying to make. I kind of hope it's true.

*Just a guess, but it'll probably know to switch modes when you attach the joy-cons. I wonder if they'll allow you to play that setup on a TV by attaching the controllers to the grip, whereas the new way will require dual motion control like Odyssey "suggests". I think that would satisfy the largest amount of people, although it wouldn't be as thematically compelling. But it's about the sales soooooooooo.
I wouldn't mind that method if its like that!

One last thought:

I think it's entirely within reason that Sun and Moon were made as bluffs. Nintendo was going all in on Switch as their next console and handheld, so Game Freak responded by saying, "If you fail again, we don't need your new system. Our games will still sell." I'm calling it a bluff and not a threat, because I'd guess the secondary reason for them was to buy time in-between core games. If X and Y were the last main series games, then 2018 with the distinct possibility of 2019 would seem unreasonably long. Z wouldn't fill that void. If you watch the first episode of Generations, which are explicitly about the games*, there's a scene where Red visits Kalos and we see Zyguarde Perfect Form. I don't believe for a second that Z or XY2 were never planned. I just think they knew about the Switch and were developing for it. It was make another generation or make Z. They couldn't release a Gen VII after the Switch or it would look like they weren't supporting the system.

*Well, they claim to be about things we didn't see while playing. They, uh, well. They tried? Sometimes.**

**I think I preferred it when they just said, "Nope, it would have been better if this had happened instead." Which fits with the current multiverse mythology. Honestly, an entire series telling stories of the game world from the multiverse would be amazing. Just with 50% better voice actors, please.

This probably didn't need to be spoilered, but I'm new so it is.

I wouldn't mind that method if its like that!

Right? I think it's a perfect trade off so everyone will be able to play the game the way they want to. It also gives the developers a chance to really see how people react and play for future generations.

It would be cool if the story changed depending on how much you played each style. It'd probably be pretty simple to trigger events either A or B based on the percentage. I know it'll never happen, but I'd love for there to be only one version and your gameplay decides the story and exclusive Pokemon you get.

ETA: Oh god, my worst fear is that they'll make each style of game it's own version. That way you can either only play traditionally or only play the new way. I'd be so frustrated as I know I'm more inclined to play turn based while my boyfriend, who watched and loved the show as a kid, but has never played and wants to wait for the Switch one, would want the new controls. I don't know that I've ever bought both versions. I hope it doesn't come to that. I'm just imagining them getting inspired by Gen III having two teams and which team you face depends on the game. And then the third Switch game, like Emerald, would offer both. Nope. I'm going to stop picturing this, because it sounds too plausible and I'd be so angry when the third game came out.

Last edited:
Also Also Also:

Why do you keep bringing this leak up? It was proven fake 4 years ago!

Does the Switch even work that way? Regardless, I'd hate to miss out on a new gameplay method simply because I'm a handheld whore.

I find it odd that list is missing Mario Odyssey.

"Proven fake" While yes it does seem unlikely a rumor form such along time ago would end up being real nothing about it was "proven" anything. The rumor only states that a game will come out on a Nintendo console that is described as something that has a handheld mode and a terminal mode (presumably the docked mode) Nothing was proven either way about it. The rumor may not be real in anyway, but considering it brings up many themes and ideas that our current rumors state will be in the gen 8 game it's something to at least consider. It's not out of the realm of possibility that GF was working on the Switch game 4 years ago. Sure they were most likely putting most of their time into the current set of games and gen 7, but it's not crazy to think. Game developers often put 4 or more years into projects so idk why you'd think GF is above that. For all we know the rumor is in fact real and while it may cover early on concepts of the game it could be the ground floor for what we end up getting.

Does the Switch even work that way? Regardless, I'd hate to miss out on a new gameplay method simply because I'm a handheld whore.

I find it odd that list is missing Mario Odyssey.

The Switch does have games that are tied specifically to handheld or docked mode. I can't think of them off the top of my head, but it definitely does have the capabilities to offer different styles of play depending on whether it's docked or in handheld mode.

ETA: Oh god, my worst fear is that they'll make each style of game it's own version. That way you can either only play traditionally or only play the new way. I'd be so frustrated as I know I'm more inclined to play turn based while my boyfriend, who watched and loved the show as a kid, but has never played and wants to wait for the Switch one, would want the new controls. I don't know that I've ever bought both versions. I hope it doesn't come to that. I'm just imagining them getting inspired by Gen III having two teams and which team you face depends on the game. And then the third Switch game, like Emerald, would offer both. Nope. I'm going to stop picturing this, because it sounds too plausible and I'd be so angry when the third game came out.

Coming February 31, 2018, it's Pokemon Past and Future!

Coming February 31, 2018, it's Pokemon Past and Future!
That would actually make a cool game. One version has you in the past version of the region and another the future. BW Showed how you can have different places to a point with Opeculid city (probably spelled that wrong but meh). And then they could make a third version that combines the two storylines or rather has them meet. Maybe as a sequel.

I could see the games being called Past and Future or something like that. The Twitter sources I've been following have alluded to a time based thing when they hinted that the starters represented the past, present, and future. So at the very least I think time in general will be a theme in the games in some way.

"Proven fake" While yes it does seem unlikely a rumor form such along time ago would end up being real nothing about it was "proven" anything. The rumor only states that a game will come out on a Nintendo console that is described as something that has a handheld mode and a terminal mode (presumably the docked mode) Nothing was proven either way about it. The rumor may not be real in anyway, but considering it brings up many themes and ideas that our current rumors state will be in the gen 8 game it's something to at least consider. It's not out of the realm of possibility that GF was working on the Switch game 4 years ago. Sure they were most likely putting most of their time into the current set of games and gen 7, but it's not crazy to think. Game developers often put 4 or more years into projects so idk why you'd think GF is above that. For all we know the rumor is in fact real and while it may cover early on concepts of the game it could be the ground floor for what we end up getting.
Look at the section about "Pokken Fighters" again. You'll see what I mean. I also don't think GF got the Switch devkits in 2014. I think that the Switch didn't even exist at that time, at least in a playable form.

I'm Dutch, and and i hate too burst everyones bubble, but this chart says nothing. There are some games on here branded as Highly Unlikely (Pokken DX, Fifa 18, Arms, Zelda Breath of the Wild) and those are already out in public, thus this chart is likely from early 2017. Especially since Mario Tennis Aces is the only game on here that was covered in the Mini Direct.

Just because most of the listed games have been released doesn't mean that it's pointless to ask people how likely they are to buy them (many people don't have a Switch yet, for one thing). It does make sense that whoever answered the survey marked them as unlikely if said person has had a Switch for a while. Lastly, the fact that Pokken DX and the Pokemon RPG are even mentioned means that the survey is from at least June 2017, but I see no reason to assume that it isn't recent.

Right? I think it's a perfect trade off so everyone will be able to play the game the way they want to. It also gives the developers a chance to really see how people react and play for future generations
Or they'll do the sensible thing of offering a choice that has nothing to do with the system.

I could see the games being called Past and Future or something like that. The Twitter sources I've been following have alluded to a time based thing when they hinted that the starters represented the past, present, and future. So at the very least I think time in general will be a theme in the games in some way.

That also lines up with the rumor that the theme of the story is tradition vs. innovation, as that theme ties in with the subject of time very nicely. I definitely think there's some truth to what's being said about the story, it all just makes too much sense.

And yeah, I don't think they'll tie a choice in battle mechanics with a choice in handheld/console mode. That might upset people, as someone could easily enjoy any of those 4 permutations. The ideal thing Game Freak can do is just make the gameplay style as flexible as possible and let the player choose how they want to play.

Wait a minute. Truth... ideal...

#gen5remakesconfirmed

Last edited:

What TheMonster6893 said. There are aspects of it that I find too similar to completely dismiss, especially taking into consideration the way things change from concept to finalization during production. Remember, those rumors came out years ago. Things can and do change, especially if you're refitting them for a different region. You can point out that Solgaleo doesn't have three heads, but it would be strange for a three-headed sun lion in Hawaii. What I think is of note are the typings. Solgaleo, a lion representing the sun, does not have a fire typing. Instead it's Psychic/Steel. The original legendary in the rumor was Psychic/Ground. It's not a perfect match, but it doesn't make sense for something representing a ball of gas to be ground. The Lunala analog is a Ghost/Fairy who is hurricane like with many arms and slits for eyes. Lunala ends up being Psychic/Ghost, but as Lunala and Solgaleo share the same evolution line, it makes sense that you'd lose one type. Not to mention Mimikyu ends up as a Ghost/Fairy, filling that role rather nicely.

Now, look at their official "Full Moon" and "Radiant Sun" Phases:

solgaleo-lunala-website-screenshot-63a6f.png

Lunala looks like a moon, yes, but also like the start of a storm. A hurricane's strength is thought to be influenced by the phase of the moon, just as ocean tides are. The wings all have hard edges like they could have changed from arms at some point, although I'll say that part is more of a personal opinion, and the eyes were likely changed to match Solgaleo's. It's not uncommon to find winged lions in Southeast Asia at Temples, which goes great with Solgaleo riding on a cloud...rock? Something floaty. I think there's a chance they may have represented weather if they appeared in other games, but that's just a theory going off the supposed pattern another user brought up earlier of evolution gen 1/6, day-night 2/7, weather gen 3/maybe 8 idk.

I'm not saying any of this as it exists in the rumor is fact or real, just that it is very specific in certain aspects that seem to correspond with Sun and Moon alongside rumors we're now hearing about implementing a new battle system for the Switch. It would address the issue of how Game Freak intends to radically shake up the game without losing the core fans. The Plus and Minus rumors offer what I think is an elegant and kind of cheeky response. You want your old gameplay? Here it is, exactly as it was before. If they did remove the islands to make Alola and are left with a Peninsula, then Spain is also one. Maybe they didn't want to do a region that's a mixture of landmass and islands as they just did the Gen III remakes. It's all just theorizing based on what little we have, which is exactly what this specific thread is about. Even if it is fake, the phrase "fakes" appears in the title of this thread and is therefore appropriate.

Or they'll do the sensible thing of offering a choice that has nothing to do with the system.

Yes, but it's Game Freak. If it has nothing to do with the system, you'll have to go to the Game Freak in game headquarters to change it after you've played the new controls half way through the game. Or after the 6 hour tutorial. You thought Sun and Moon was bad? Wait until you find out the developers took some notes while playing Kingdom Hearts II on the secretly in production Switch release for Kingdom Hearts 2.192.168.0.1.

The Game Freak of yore offered a menu option for switch/set style and move animations (and still do), at least.

Plus & Minus may have been planned, but it was most likely scrapped and reworked into Sun & Moon.

That's what I'm mostly saying. I think it was split up and reworked and what we get with VIII will be an expanded peninsula setting. Also I can't believe Plus and Minus was anything other than a codename for so many reasons.

This isn't to you specifically, but as far as game names: I'm of the mindset that Pokemon 0 and 1 are potentially very good titles if it's in reference to binary as well a reboot as a console series. It just sends a strong message that this is a good place to start for those who haven't kept up over the years. I don't think those will be real, though. (I know the trademark was fake, but I just immediately had a positive response thinking of the games as a reintroduction.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom