• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Game Freak of yore offered a menu option for switch/set style and move animations (and still do), at least.

Trueeeeeee. I hope you're right. I'm excited to try any new style they have, but turn based is so comfortable. I also don't know how long of a game session I'd be able to put in if it was always some sort of brawler for battles.

I could see the games being called Past and Future or something like that. The Twitter sources I've been following have alluded to a time based thing when they hinted that the starters represented the past, present, and future. So at the very least I think time in general will be a theme in the games in some way.
Considering we haven't done time, it would be a great game. The closest we've gotten is an event in HGSS....that's it. And some flashbacks in BW2. But to have it be imperative to the story would be great.
Wait until you find out the developers took some notes while playing Kingdom Hearts II on the secretly in production Switch release for Kingdom Hearts 2.192.168.0.1.
Hey KH2 tutorials were fun.

In seriousness and using KH as a reference: the brawling style would not work for pokemon. It's always been a casual game where you can play while watching David Tennant play the bad guy. But if they had it in brawling style then no longer would we be able to play it so casually. Games like Kingdom Hearts that are open world brawling tend to take a lot of time and can't be played a few minutes. You have to set aside too much time. Pokemon is a game that can be played while eating breakfast. So I doubt they would change the formula to make it like some large game.

Switch isn't only a big console like playstation and wii. That's why it's the next gen version of the gameboy. Portable. Taking away what makes it that would just make it another RPG and less playable for those that are busy.

I have the same name as a singer. Should I not have that name?

Please. Real world examples don't apply. Such an analogy is not only pedantic, but outlandish. There's practically no such thing as a unique name in the real world. Fictions rarely ever reuse or repeat names (or, in many such as Pokemon, main characters - I know there are multiple Youngster Joeys, which would have been a retort that actually had any merit). The developers and translators are smart enough to know that Alder has been used, and relatively recently, and would of course pick another name (especially when there's so many options) in order to differentiate their characters - whether for cataloguing, marketing, info/wikis, merchandise, etc. etc. Even then, it's more so the fact that the name repetition is a sign of the leak being fake - even if such an occurrence is technically possible. So, no, it's not flawed logic in the least.

Considering we haven't done time, it would be a great game. The closest we've gotten is an event in HGSS....that's it. And some flashbacks in BW2. But to have it be imperative to the story would be great.

Yeah, I'd be down for some Past and Future. As long as it doesn't get too temporally messy, time travel playing some kind of interesting role could be cool. And it would be a good excuse to bring Celebi back for another event. I mean, Deoxys was a mythical yet they included it in ORAS so I don't see why not - especially if the games end up revisiting Kanto/Johto.

In seriousness and using KH as a reference: the brawling style would not work for pokemon. It's always been a casual game...You have to set aside too much time. Pokemon is a game that can be played while eating breakfast. So I doubt they would change the formula to make it like some large game.

Switch isn't only a big console like playstation and wii. That's why it's the next gen version of the gameboy. Portable. Taking away what makes it that would just make it another RPG and less playable for those that are busy.

Totally agree.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd be down for some Past and Future. As long as it doesn't get too temporally messy, time travel playing some kind of interesting role could be cool. And it would be a good excuse to bring Celebi back for another event. I mean, Deoxys was a mythical yet they included it in ORAS so I don't see why not - especially if the games end up revisiting Kanto/Johto.

I don't think the game would involve a whole lot of actual time travel. That might require them to essentially make multiple regions in one game which would be too ambitious for Game Freak. It probably won't be much more than the Celebi event in HGSS. I imagine it'd be closer to Opelucid City: The Game, where instead of physically traveling through time we see version differences where various areas chose to either embrace the past and remain traditional or embrace the future and adapt to change.

Time travel would be convoluted. It’s a very tricky subject. I think like oplecluid is all we need. But I meant like one game is literally the region in like the 1600s and the there is the region in like the 3000s.

Now that would be rad. Expanding the Opelucid theme to the entire region would really make the two games stand out. Version exclusive Pokemon could even be based on this time difference. Modern Pokemon reliant (potentially) on technology, like Magnemite, Voltorb, and Porygon, could be exclusive to the Future game. In the Past game, Farfetch'd hasn't been hunted to extinction yet :ROFLMAO:

Now that would be rad. Expanding the Opelucid theme to the entire region would really make the two games stand out. Version exclusive Pokemon could even be based on this time difference. Modern Pokemon reliant (potentially) on technology, like Magnemite, Voltorb, and Porygon, could be exclusive to the Future game. In the Past game, Farfetch'd hasn't been hunted to extinction yet :ROFLMAO:
You seem to be forgetting the most important aspect of this all...

Magikarp would be strong

Well, they had us travel in Ultra Sapce in Gen 7 so it wouldn't surprise me if they started implementing time travel in the main plot. They could have done it with the event in HGSS that involved Celebi and Giovanni, but they did that as a separate event instead of the main gameplay (which I was disappointed about). There's also Pokemon themselves that have the ability of time travel, so it's not like it's impossible or anything.

Well, they had us travel in Ultra Sapce in Gen 7 so it wouldn't surprise me if they started implementing time travel in the main plot. They could have done it with the event in HGSS that involved Celebi and Giovanni, but they did that as a separate event instead of the main gameplay (which I was disappointed about). There's also Pokemon themselves that have the ability of time travel, so it's not like it's impossible or anything.
If they do, that would pretty much ruin Pokemon continuity. This gives them the excuse to create many Ultra Suns and Ultra Moons, using the excuse that oh, time travel or ultra warping is what caused this. And this trope is really cliche

If they do, that would pretty much ruin Pokemon continuity. This gives them the excuse to create many Ultra Suns and Ultra Moons, using the excuse that oh, time travel or ultra warping is what caused this. And this trope is really cliche

To be fair, they've already pretty much acknowledged that there are a bunch of different versions of individual games thanks to the Entralink. Pokemon continuity has always gravitated towards an absurdly high number of different timelines for as long as they've been acknowledging that alternate timelines exist, so I don't see how expanding on already existent time travel themes would really change anything.

Time travel's already been done in spinoff games, like Ranger and Mystery Dungeon. Personally, time travel is a pretty strong hit-and-miss sort of thing, and it usually depends on how it's being used. Time travel used to see events of the past firsthand and expand the universe more are interesting, but time travel that's just "oh hey let's undo a major part of the story" is pretty obnoxious.

I definitely agree that multiverse universes are cliche and often poorly-done, but time travel wouldn't really justify them-time travelling doesn't create a new universe.

If it’s Spain/Kalos games and time travel is involved maybe we could go back to the War 3000 years ago

Time travel would be convoluted. It’s a very tricky subject. I think like oplecluid is all we need. But I meant like one game is literally the region in like the 1600s and the there is the region in like the 3000s.

I don't even think they'll do that much. I think it'll be more like a region set in 2018/2019 that feels like something out of the 1600s or the 3000s. If I'm right about the correlation between past/future and tradition/innovation, then it makes a lot more sense. See, the beauty of the tradition/innovation theme and why I'm so inclined to believe it's real is because it's a theme that reflects what's going on in the series and the fanbase right now. Pokemon is at a crossroads right now with the jump to console, they can either choose to stay the course and stick with what the series has always done or they can adapt to the new technology, and there are different fans with different opinions on this issue and in what aspects. The point of this theme seems to be how the values of those periods can apply to the present day, not just how those periods differ.

I could see them doing time travel in a similar form of HGSS. Only maybe instead of it being a single scene they could give you a facility to explore. You wouldn't be changing anything in the future, but you could see what a single area looked like in the past compared to the present day. Maybe they'd even have some stuff about how you need to find a lost item in the present, but need to go to the past to see where a person hid the item. That'd be pretty cool.

That'd be a different timeline, though, not a difference universe. There's not suddenly two Kantos-it's just Kanto with its history altered. As a comparison on a minor scale-when someone gets a tattoo, they're changing their skin, but they haven't created a separate, new version of themself-they just changed the existing one.

But maybe I'm splitting hairs? If that specific trope is what bothers you, then what we're calling it doesn't really matter.

That'd be a different timeline, though, not a difference universe. There's not suddenly two Kantos-it's just Kanto with its history altered. As a comparison on a minor scale-when someone gets a tattoo, they're changing their skin, but they haven't created a separate, new version of themself-they just changed the existing one.

But maybe I'm splitting hairs? If that specific trope is what bothers you, then what we're calling it doesn't really matter.
Probably. I fear that if they introduce some type of travel through time/dimensions, they will abuse it way too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom