• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point there's no doubt gen 8 is the next game to come out. It's just a matter of when. It honestly has a 50/50 chance of coming out in either 2018 or 2019 imo. While many of the rumors we've seen aren't necessarily real, there are a few sources and rumors that suggest that the game will be out by the end of next year. Given how multiple sources are now saying that Nintendo is pressuring GF in various ways it wouldn't be surprising. Honestly at this point tho I'm getting sick of people saying they'd rather it come out in 2019 because they want GF to take their time with it. I'm not saying that's a bad thing I'm just saying that poepel are assuming negatively. We have no real way of knowing how long they've been developing at this point. You can't go by those hiring listings because that could very well have just been them needing a few extra hands on board. Generally speaking a new gen game takes about 3 years to make. It's clear at this point that they develop many of their games in tandem. It would make sense for them to have gotten started on the early stages of gen 8 at least as early as 2015. And that's regardless of whether it comes out in 2018 or 2019. Game developers that have good reports with the bigger companies like Nintendo get developer units pretty early. GF was one of the first 3rd part developers to get the 3DS developer unit after all. Seeing how Zelda was being made and projected to come out on the Wii U back in 2015 it'd make sense for Nintendo to have had the Switch in mind given how Zelda got nearly fully pushed to it. (it might as well have not even come out on the Wii U lolz) So why wouldn't GF have the knowledge of the Switch that early too?If the game comes out next year it won't be because it was rushed.. It'll be because that's how they want ed it. GF are very particular about their games and they've even said it in recent interviews that while they take suggestions from Nintendo they actually just do their own thing and don't worry about it much. If they think they need more time then they'll take the time. Regardless of when it comes out out I wouldn't be too worried. At least not until we see the game for ourselves.

I think that if game freak is going to release a switch game it'll probobly come sometime in mid-2018 when everyone has a switch. Half the people I know still don't have switches.

I think that if game freak is going to release a switch game it'll probobly come sometime in mid-2018 when everyone has a switch. Half the people I know still don't have switches.

I doubt it'll come before the fall of next year. Not only is late fall the traditional time for them to release Pokemon games, but also it's as you said they'd want to give people some time to get Switch's. Also it's better for them to release closer to holidays (at least this time around) as it'll help sell more units both for the actual game and the Switch. If it's released in 2019 then maybe they could get away with a summer release (which I'd personally love), but not in 2018 I don't think. I think we're looking at another November release date if it's 2018

I doubt it'll come before the fall of next year. Not only is late fall the traditional time for them to release Pokemon games, but also it's as you said they'd want to give people some time to get Switch's. Also it's better for them to release closer to holidays (at least this time around) as it'll help sell more units both for the actual game and the Switch. If it's released in 2019 then maybe they could get away with a summer release (which I'd personally love), but not in 2018 I don't think. I think we're looking at another November release date if it's 2018
I honestly don't think we'll get Gen 8 next year. I think Gen 8 will be a late 2019 release. If Gen 8 comes out next year then Gen 7 would have only lasted two years. That would make it the shortest Gen ever (Gen 1 was technically 3 years). I just think a 2018 release would be... rushed. Not in the sense that the game wouldn't be good, but in the sense that a new Gen is starting too soon and the current Gen is over too soon. It's GF's game and they can release it when they want but personally I don't want a 2018 release. I probably won't even have a switch in November 2018.

I honestly don't think we'll get Gen 8 next year. I think Gen 8 will be a late 2019 release. If Gen 8 comes out next year then Gen 7 would have only lasted two years. That would make it the shortest Gen ever (Gen 1 was technically 3 years). I just think a 2018 release would be... rushed. Not in the sense that the game wouldn't be good, but in the sense that a new Gen is starting too soon and the current Gen is over too soon. It's GF's game and they can release it when they want but personally I don't want a 2018 release. I probably won't even have a switch in November 2018.
Well not with that attitude you won't. (I'm joking. Please don't kill me.)

I'm still of the mindset that they won't do full open world. I think to start off they may do something a bit more like Mario Odyssey. Only instead of the areas being completely separate like in Odyssey they can have them connect like they do now already. That would allow GF to play around with bigger spaces like the sandbox zones of Odyssey, but still have control over the progression of the map and story. And then maybe the next gen after would be open as they'd be able to get rid of the walls between the giant individual areas

Indeed. But they also prefer PS4 over 3DS.
Also, Zelda BoTW is surprisingly very well received in Japan.

I think I'm currently 50/50 about open world.
I think what dragon quest 11 did on ps4 is what game freak should be targeting in regards the size of world.

Final fantasy xv and zelda might be the only open world games accepted by japan

Also: how are we defining open world here.

Open world is typically associated with open-ended quest progression, a la Elder Scrolls and its go-anywhere do-anything mantra. But there's also seamless map design like we had in Breath of the Wild (literally its only distinct transitions were to/from shrines and Divine Beasts, even entering/exiting houses was seamless). And there's rigorous sandbox systems like in Minecraft or Scribblenauts where you can build/do complicated things from elementary parts and how they affect each other.

I think a seamless overworld for Pokemon is completely doable; the 2D generations arguably did this better and more often. Open quest progression would require a major re-thinking of the game's difficulty curve (not necessarily a bad thing, just more time consuming) and sandbox systems, while always amusing on their own, are not really relevant to Pokemon.

Open world is typically associated with open-ended quest progression, a la Elder Scrolls and its go-anywhere do-anything mantra. But there's also seamless map design like we had in Breath of the Wild (literally its only distinct transitions were to/from shrines and Divine Beasts, even entering/exiting houses was seamless). And there's rigorous sandbox systems like in Minecraft or Scribblenauts where you can build/do complicated things from elementary parts and how they affect each other.

I think a seamless overworld for Pokemon is completely doable; the 2D generations arguably did this better and more often. Open quest progression would require a major re-thinking of the game's difficulty curve (not necessarily a bad thing, just more time consuming) and sandbox systems, while always amusing on their own, are not really relevant to Pokemon.
Yeah that's the one thing where open world wouldn't worked. Breath of the wild had enemies that could be taken on by anyone with a little practice. Pokemon are leveled based on area which would really screw over people who ran into the wrong area.

Breath of the wild had enemies that could be taken on by anyone with a little practice. Pokemon are leveled based on area which would really screw over people who ran into the wrong area.
Good luck with that White Lynel on the Great Plateau then, lol

But seriously. While your argument is certainly true, remember the game can automatically generate the stats and default movesets for any Pokemon at any arbitrary level, and it's only the encounter tables in each area that control how strong they are. If they had some reliable metric to scale this to the player's expected progress, some open-ended route exploration and quest design could be a thing.

For example, in Skyrim, humanoid enemies are arranged into types and subtypes, with each subtype having a specific range of levels. When you reach a new location, the game scales it to match your level at that time, picking appropriate subtypes of enemies accordingly (e.g. Bandit < Bandit Looter < Bandit Highwayman < Bandit Marauder). It may also contain a few specific "boss" enemies (e.g. Bandit Chief) whose subtype has higher base stats and whose level scales across a wider range than the underlings.

Or, anyone who's played Seiken Densetsu 3 may remember that near the endgame you had to find and traverse 7 new dungeons, in any order, to defeat their bosses; each time you defeated a boss, enemies in these dungeons leveled up by 2. Granted, by this point +2 levels was only a modest increment, but it worked.

Last edited:
Good luck with that White Lynel on the Great Plateau then, lol

But seriously. While your argument is certainly true, remember the game can automatically generate the stats and default movesets for any Pokemon at any arbitrary level, and it's only the encounter tables in each area that control how strong they are. If they had some reliable metric to scale this to the player's expected progress, some open-ended route exploration and quest design could be a thing.

For example, in Skyrim, humanoid enemies are arranged into types and subtypes, with each subtype having a specific range of levels. When you reach a new location, the game scales it to match your level at that time, picking appropriate subtypes of enemies accordingly (e.g. Bandit < Bandit Looter < Bandit Highwayman < Bandit Marauder). It may also contain a few specific "boss" enemies (e.g. Bandit Chief) whose subtype has higher base stats and whose level scales across a wider range than the underlings.

Or, anyone who's played Seiken Densetsu 3 may remember that near the endgame you had to find and traverse 7 new dungeons, in any order, to defeat their bosses; each time you defeated a boss, enemies in these dungeons leveled up by 2. Granted, by this point +2 levels was only a modest increment, but it worked.
That would be too much work on GameFreak's part. This much change could also alienate veteran players.

Legitimacy is obviously in question, but this guy apparently says he has gen 8 info. Also supposedly he had info back before XY. Who knows if it's true tho. If it is tho maybe we got ourselves a tanuki, goat, and wolf starter trio? Only time will tell I suppose.

View: https://twitter.com/gekkougalarry/status/937734210953064448

Assuming they are in order, going clockwise, I would love a Grass/Dark Tanuki, a Fire/Steel Ram/Goat and a Water/Ice Wolf as starters. I've been wanting a Tanuki (not folklore, real animal) Pokemon for ages.

This trio honestly has the potential to be the best trio of starters if GameFreak does it right. A Fire/Fairy goat/ram would have great potential. But I somehow feel that wolf would be the grass one...

I don't know if all three starters would be mammals. There's usually at least one reptile/amphibian/bird in the mix.

Legitimacy is obviously in question, but this guy apparently says he has gen 8 info. Also supposedly he had info back before XY. Who knows if it's true tho. If it is tho maybe we got ourselves a tanuki, goat, and wolf starter trio? Only time will tell I suppose.

View: https://twitter.com/gekkougalarry/status/937734210953064448

He didn't say the picture was about the starters...
I've chatted with him many times before.
He actually has a Bulbaforums account even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom