• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm just concerned about a potential genre shift. I like the turn based combat of the game. I'm curious about what they could do from an environmental/exploration aspect, but I hope they don't shift to real time battling. That's my only concern, I guess.

I don't think they'd go that far. Turn based battling is a pretty defining mechanic in the series and they're probably veeery reluctant to abandon that to say the least. Neither of those two games really made any kind of genre shift that wasn't in line with the series roots so I don't think this game will either. I imagine they are going to rethink certain conventions in the series but I'm not sure this is going to be one of them.

I don't think they'd go that far. Turn based battling is a pretty defining mechanic in the series and they're probably veeery reluctant to abandon that to say the least. Neither of those two games really made any kind of genre shift that wasn't in line with the series roots so I don't think this game will either. I imagine they are going to rethink certain conventions in the series but I'm not sure this is going to be one of them.
Yeah, that's my concern. I could see a aRPG pokemon game as a spin off, but not as a mainline game. Other than that they could go nuts with the changes. If gamefreak takes anything from those games, then it should be the player's freedom. I think this is reasonable especially based on what I've seen from Odyssey when the story is linear to a degree but there is a lot to do and you have a choice in how to tackle things.

I think we may get starters in late 2018 and new game in late on christmas 2019 or in early 2020 after new year.
Or they want give us new generation for a aniversary

Yeah, that's my concern. I could see a aRPG pokemon game as a spin off, but not as a mainline game. Other than that they could go nuts with the changes. If gamefreak takes anything from those games, then it should be the player's freedom. I think this is reasonable especially based on what I've seen from Odyssey when the story is linear to a degree but there is a lot to do and you have a choice in how to tackle things.

Yeah, that's one big thing I want Game Freak to take from those games. The newer games are really missing that sense of adventure and self-driven progression and I'd really like to see that feeling return.

I agree with the fact that they need to bring back the sense of adventure, the self-driven progressing but I also feel like they need to shack up the formula as well; especially since it's the same: Protagonist -> spring/summer location + Mom sending you out on a journey because "THE PROFESSOR SAYS SO" but I hate the long ass tutorials as well.

Or at least give us the option to skip tutorials, makes things easier and quicker imo.

pokemon generation 8 starters:
-Grass/Ice Wolf escimo warrior style; speed 110 good both defences ; learns first impression, ice shard; stats total 534 like Swampert has.
-Fire/electric apache indian rabbit, speed 125; magnet rise, shadow sneak;
-Water/ flying Eagle, speed 75 good hp attack sp. attack low defences, learns aqua jet, fake out , mud sport, gets Gale Wings (hope some starters like torterra or chesnaught get accelrock in future+ we need to get one day a grass/electric starter in future that take neutral demage to flying)

the dude that started the whole "Gf is trying to be disruptive with the next games" is apparently really trustworthy but I still don't buy it because of the gameinformer interview with masuda/ohmori (where masuda literally states that people shouldn't get their hopes up)

Are you paying attention to the gaming industry at large? Nearly every triple A game dev is finding a way to bilk customers for reoccurring customer spending. Look at Microsoft and Sony. If you want to play Online, pay a monthly fee. Nintendo is going to do the same next year for the Switch. Take 2 entertainment has stated that EVERY GAME they release going forward will have some system to help maximize customer reoccurring spending. Even with Battlefront II, EA has just disabled the system saying they will introduce it back again (UNCHANGED) at a later date. Every day you see more and more games that are adding micro transactions, paid DLC, or other ways for devs to make more and more money from the players. This trend isn't going anywhere, it's a matter of when, not if, it invades our universe. When it does, I will bury myself in the past gens and I'll be out on this franchise forevermore. I will speak that with my wallet as well.

Are you paying attention to the gaming industry at large? Nearly every triple A game dev is finding a way to bilk customers for reoccurring customer spending. Look at Microsoft and Sony. If you want to play Online, pay a monthly fee. Nintendo is going to do the same next year for the Switch. Take 2 entertainment has stated that EVERY GAME they release going forward will have some system to help maximize customer reoccurring spending. Even with Battlefront II, EA has just disabled the system saying they will introduce it back again (UNCHANGED) at a later date. Every day you see more and more games that are adding micro transactions, paid DLC, or other ways for devs to make more and more money from the players. This trend isn't going anywhere, it's a matter of when, not if, it invades our universe. When it does, I will bury myself in the past gens and I'll be out on this franchise forevermore. I will speak that with my wallet as well.
Paid online is for maintaining servers. Going forward, where more and more players are joining multiplayers, it makes sense. Micro transitions are in no way necessary. Also as you said that a lot of games have included them, they're still not the majority and many many developers are against it. Anyway, this is not a thread to discuss micro transitions. However I don't see GF doing that in a Pokemon game.

While I haven't been very happy with GF's decisions for the best part of a year now *coughgenerationsevencough*, the thing I've continued to appreciate about them is that they've kept micro transactions and DLC out of the main series. That sort of stuff should stay with a game like Pokémon Shuffle.

If they do pull this stunt, I hope it creates enough of a backlash to make them quickly drop the idea. My wallet doesn't deserve to be routinely pickpocketed by greedy game developers for content I would have gotten inside a usual game years ago. Can you imagine having to pay real money to unlock the rest of Kanto and then its eight gyms, one by one, after beating Lance in GSC/HGSS?

Anyway, Generation VIII... For Game Freak's sake, I hope the Switch's price has gone down a bit by the time they move the main series there. That's my largest concern now.

Anyway, Generation VIII... For Game Freak's sake, I hope the Switch's price has gone down a bit by the time they move the main series there. That's my largest concern now.

That, or release a newer and cheaper model, like they did with the 2DS. Switch Mini, perhaps. A handheld optimized Switch. That's what I'm hoping for. Heck, release it within the month or two before Pokemon and it's great. Maybe even release a Switch Mini + Pokemon bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom