• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say the term regional variants is already a fitting name for it. They call the current regional variants Alolan forms really because that's the only current region it has occurred in as of yet. Presumably the next region would have [blank] forms and those would fall under the regional variant umbrella

To be fair that was 3 years ago. Using the term "terminal unit" is generic enough it could mean anything, but it does hint to the Switch's docked mode. Back then the final designs on the Switch were likely not even drawn up with yet entirely. Nintendo prolly had an idea for a concept and specs for it, but I don't think they knew that it would look exactly as it does now then. Back 2014 yes people were speculating about Nintendo's next system, but it wasn't until at least 2015 that things really got rolling. Also anything can sound like fanservice if you spin it that way. In 2010 if anyone said that they'd bring back certain gen 1 Pokemon with new forms people would say that it sounds too fanservice-y and wouldn't happen. In SM we got Regional variants in the Alolan forms. Also as far as more MMO style gameplay is concerned to be fair the tech was never really there for Pokemon until now. Until now GF never had a system available that would allow for proper player to player communication that is even similar to MMO style. Sure there's some minor stuff they did with the Entralink, but that's in person stuff and only for a very specific mechanic with very specif rules. Anything can sound like a fanboy wishlist without context. Nothing is truly impossible tho.

Yes, nothing is impossible, but what about likely or feasible? What do you think the odds are that someone would have access to that amount of detail 3 years before the Switch's release? Nintendo is very secretive, you need to be in order to keep the competition from stealing your ideas. So they're not just going to let this kind of information leak out before it's ready. Second, Game Freak probably had no idea what they wanted for a Switch game at the time. Hell, they may not have even known about the Switch at the time. They were too focused on SM so the generation after probably wasn't on their radar yet.

Yes, nothing is impossible, but what about likely or feasible? What do you think the odds are that someone would have access to that amount of detail 3 years before the Switch's release? Nintendo is very secretive, you need to be in order to keep the competition from stealing your ideas. So they're not just going to let this kind of information leak out before it's ready. Second, Game Freak probably had no idea what they wanted for a Switch game at the time. Hell, they may not have even known about the Switch at the time. They were too focused on SM so the generation after probably wasn't on their radar yet.

Things slip out all the time. That's why we have leaks every time a new game is announced. It's because people take major risks. Nintendo does keep a tight grip on info, but GF and TPCI aren't Nintendo. If some schmuck at either of them learned about a new game system there would be nothing stopping them from leaking. Nintendo ninjas don't actually exist and aren't lurking in the shadows watching anyone who has ever come in contact with them. As far as GF knowing about the Switch I'd say they 100% knew almost right from the get go. Not only are they in charge of making Nintendo's 2nd biggest franchise, they are known to have received info on new up and coming systems before like the 3DS. Plus considering the Switch is a huge departure from what they're used to it would be irresponsible for Nintendo to NOT let them know well ahead of time that they'd need to start thinking about how to develop for a system like the Switch. It's not like they could rely on being able to make a game for another system exactly the same as the 3DS. Plus GF plan out each gen years in advance. Pokemon concepts, story boards,and possible mechanics all get thought out all the time. They're always coming up with new ideas. Hell Tirtouga was a concept back when they were making gen 1 and didn't become an actual Pokemon until gen 5. So yes I do believe even back in 2014 they were thinking this far in advance. Was the game in full production back then? Of course not. Like you said they had gen 7 to produce, but concepts aren't hard to create in conjunction with actual game development. And considering once again that the Switch is a HUGE change from what they're used to working on I'd expect them to be more than willing to spend that amount of time at least thinking about it. Considering many people like to throw around the idea that XY, ORAS, and even SM were "rushed" games I'd say them focusing part of their time on conceptualizing the Switch game during that time makes a whole lot of sense. It would explain why the games don't feel fleshed out as much as people would want them too be. If they're in part splitting their time thinking about a game that far in advance of course those games may suffer. It's a shame, but that may very well be how it happened. On the other hand sure you may be right. The person who posted it may have gotten VERY lucky. The original article that had the rumor stated the person responsible for the rumor is trust worthy, but at the end of the day we have no way of knowing how true that really is. At this point however things are lining up. We have a rumor that talks about a system that is very similar sounding to the Switch. It also mentions things that current rumors, that have no ties to it, say are a thing. Could it all be a coincidence? Sure, but it certainly seems like it isn't.

New Pokemon Type similar to Shinies, no details yet on how they work but I’ve been told they “change the game significantly”.
Quoted from the Plus and Minus rumor.
I think it sounds a bit like Alolan forms/ region forms, which they'll probably still make new ones.
They probably would rename it though.
Alolan forms aren't really like shinies though? They're a different appearance, sure, but every alternate form has a different appearance. (East/West Shellos, Deoxys, Cherrim, etc) It doesn't really make sense to single out shinies as an example of differing appearances, especially when the difference between Alolan and Kanto Pokemon is usually more than just a different color palette. (Plus there's the whole mechanics of encountering-shinies are found by chance, regional variants are found by location)

I'm reminded of how fake psychics scam people-say something vague, let the victim interpret it to mean something specific, and pretend to have special info. All this quote really says is "new forms are introduced, and it changes things". That's not a hard thing to predict-most gens have had Pokemon with multiple forms.

I think people misinterpreted what I was trying to say earlier. I do realize that Pokemon games have dark undertones, but what the so-called "leak/rumor" is describing still wouldn't fly in a Pokemon game. Human sacrifice to a deity, whether if "just by magic" or some other means, is still pretty dark by Pokemon standards. Please leave that stuff in M-rated games, thank you.

If you saw Alolan vulpix and ninetales which were done early on you could be forgiven it was similar to shinies. Similarly the Grimer rattata and meowth lines all look very similar just different colours
yes. Alolan vulpix/ nintales are literaly just blue, no other differences from normal.

Anyway, I THINK that both megas and z moves will be back, but in differnt forms so they can co-exist.

Yeah there are things on the list that may not happen even if the rumor is real. I'd say these are the most likely candidates:

- The main legendary for Pokemon Plus is a Shi Foo Lion-looking Psychic/Ground-type that has multiple faces, the Pokemon Minus legendary is a Ghost/Fairy type that has two dashes for eyes and is a hurricane-like appendages with many arms and hands.
- one is a mail system that only uses flying types and focuses on sky battles
- New Pokemon Type similar to Shinies, no details yet on how they work but I’ve been told they “change the game significantly”.

Those 3 things to me scream early planning stages and things that are either cut altogether or changed into other things. The legends are close enough to Solgaleo and Lunala (sort of anyway) that it's possible that GF decided that the over all idea would be better off in Alola and changed them accordingly. This would leave room for 2 new legends. The sky battles part screams the mindset of GF back in 2013/2014. Back then the concept was still relatively new and they probably didn't know if it would be a main stay or not. Obviously it was not, but early on in production planning they may have thought otherwise. Even going as far as to design a basic concept around the mechanic. The final thing could very well be regional variants. Most of the variants look similar enough to their original forms that if someone saw the concept briefly or in it's early stagged plan they might think they'd be like shinies of some sort. Or hell maybe regional variants were at first meant to be rarer than they actually ended up being. We don't really know. Either way all 3 of these things were subject to obvious change. Ideas flow back and forth sometimes. Sometimes one idea for a project works better in another project. It happens. One of our rumor sources even says that scrapped concepts from XY might make it into the new game too. The PM rumor says that old concepts will be taken to it as well. It does make sense if you look at it from a production view point.

There are ways of making things subtle and vague enough to still make the E rating.

There are still some people to this day who think the original Giovanni didn't commit suicide and the splash heard in the celebi event is static or something.
Speaking of death, there is a pokemon that you kill in ultra moon. By this cemitairy on melemele island, there's the girl with a pikachu, which you battle. And when you beat it, the girl screams 'Pikachu!', and if you talk to her latter, she says "The grave where pikachu rests... I adress it using it's words."

Last edited:
If you saw Alolan vulpix and ninetales which were done early on you could be forgiven it was similar to shinies. Similarly the Grimer rattata and meowth lines all look very similar just different colours
I can cop to Vulpix and the Grimer line, but Ninetails, the Rattata line, and the Meowth line all have different physical traits beyond their color palette. Besides, if they knew which Pokemon were getting the form, why didn't they mention them by name?

Hey Everyone, I haven't been in the loop in a while so I was wondering if anyone can fill me in a few details? Which are the most credible leaks/rumors as of right now? Which leaks/rumors have come from the same people who leaked Team Rainbow Rocket and other stuff? What are the sources to these rumors?

Speaking of death, there is a pokemon that you kill in ultra moon. By this cemitairy on melemele island, there's the girl with a pikachu, which you battle. And when you beat it, the girl screams 'Pikachu!', and if you talk to her latter, she says "The grave where pikachu rests... I adress it using it's words."

How much later after you battle her? If it's not right after your battle, then it's highly unlikely that you're the one responsible... it could have died from something else.

Ideas flow back and forth sometimes. Sometimes one idea for a project works better in another project. It happens. One of our rumor sources even says that scrapped concepts from XY might make it into the new game too. The PM rumor says that old concepts will be taken to it as well. It does make sense if you look at it from a production view point.

Exactly! Over time ideas change slightly and are moved around. I feel some people take things too literally, in that if something's not 100% the same, that is akin to being 100% different.

I can cop to Vulpix and the Grimer line, but Ninetails, the Rattata line, and the Meowth line all have different physical traits beyond their color palette. Besides, if they knew which Pokemon were getting the form, why didn't they mention them by name?

This for example, yes there are some physical distinctions, it's not just a palette swap between the forms I mentioned but the leak even said "similar to shinies" The fact they don't work exactly the same as shinies, and have a few barely noticeable physical alterations, isn't really enough to say the leak about them being similar was false.

On a similar narrative, I think the Zygarde cell quest from Sun/Moon and that odd rather random rock with Core Colours embedded in it, that resides in the machine in the trailer, to me screams something that has been carried over essentially ported from a time when they were planning for Zygarde to head a Kalos follow up before they switched to ORAS instead. While we will unlikely have undeniable proof this is the case, I think this is probably a very likely example of a big concept idea from one project being incorporated in another instead.
If a leaker back in 2013 announced "in the XY follow up game you will go on a quest to find zygarde cells and use this odd rock thing to fuse it together", the fact the XY follow up got scrapped wouldn't make the leak 100% false.

This for example, yes there are some physical distinctions, it's not just a palette swap between the forms I mentioned but the leak even said "similar to shinies" The fact they don't work exactly the same as shinies, and have a few barely noticeable physical alterations, isn't really enough to say the leak about them being similar was false.
Please read what I wrote here:
I'm reminded of how fake psychics scam people-say something vague, let the victim interpret it to mean something specific, and pretend to have special info. All this quote really says is "new forms are introduced, and it changes things". That's not a hard thing to predict-most gens have had Pokemon with multiple forms.
If "like shinies" is just supposed to mean "they look different", then all this leaker said was "there will be Pokemon with forms that make them look different, and it will change the game". Yes, it's true, but it's so vague that you could pretend it's talking about anything. We've had a Pokemon with a different form in every generation since Gen 3, with a different appearance and a related change in battle.

Please read what I wrote here:

If "like shinies" is just supposed to mean "they look different", then all this leaker said was "there will be Pokemon with forms that make them look different, and it will change the game". Yes, it's true, but it's so vague that you could pretend it's talking about anything. We've had a Pokemon with a different form in every generation since Gen 3, with a different appearance and a related change in battle.

You're quite right form changes have existed since Gen 3, but all make drastic changes to the design unlike a lot of Alolan forms (specifics mentioned above) and similarly, with the exception of Megas, form changes don't bring big changes normally.

There's no point going round in circles over it though, I think you're being overly sceptical and not giving credit where it's due, you think I'm a gullible "victim" I doubt either of us are going to change our minds on this so let's move on :):D

Oh and Happy New Year everyone!

but all make drastic changes to the design unlike a lot of Alolan forms (specifics mentioned above)
96px-550Basculin-Red.png
96px-550Basculin-Blue.png

96px-585Deerling-Spring.png
96px-585Deerling-Summer.png

100px-666Vivillon-Archipelago.png
100px-666Vivillon-Elegant.png

100px-669Flab%C3%A9b%C3%A9_Red_Flower_Dream.png
100px-669Flab%C3%A9b%C3%A9_Yellow_Flower_Dream.png

How much later after you battle her? If it's not right after your battle, then it's highly unlikely that you're the one responsible... it could have died from something else.

Pretty sure that trainer is referring to a Pikachu she had before the one you battle.

What in the flying fuck did I miss out on in the last three weeks? I mean damn, I am seeing everything from Kanto to DW Battle Systems, to all sorts of nonsense. To break down my thoughts:
People are taking the Battle Quote all wrong imo. I have been saying this for a year now, movement in battle should happen. "Like DW" most likely means just that, as in nothing else really changes. You move your Pokemon around, choose an attack before time runs out, and MAYBE a dodge feature is added. Nothing groundbreaking, its still turn based, all it does is just add a little immersion.
-Kanto 20 years later as the new region could work. Again, I have been spouting this for months. Kanto/Johto as one huge region you can explore with some cities in Kanto making one huge metropolis, some new cities popping up north of the regions, etc would be fun to see. This could also tie into the innovation/tradition theories, as you can have two radically different games. One where you start in Johto and move slowly towards Kanto in a world where Johto's more traditional viewpoints and culture was adapted into Kanto or the other version starting in Kanto in a world where everyone got tech happy and is very futuristic. Think Opelucid City:The Games. It would be the same timeframe and of course tech would still exist in both versions, but the Johto game would be more like a rural JRPG that has trains/phones and what not, while the Kanto game would see a more advanced world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom