• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
To give an example... If The Legend of Zelda had remained 2D, it would have been a series of improvements. But it made the jump to 3D, it reinvented itself, and it massively paid off. Compare A Link to the Past (2D) to Ocarina of Time (3D, reinvented the wheel) and A Link Between Worlds (2D, made improvements, didn't reinvent the wheel). ALttP > ALBW is essentially what Pokemon has been thus far. Just a series of improvements.

Quite the false equivalency. Breath of the Wild sold 4.7 million on a completely new (and expensive, naturally) console, on a market where it's competing with other 2 home consoles who are doing quite well. Sun and Moon sold much more... On a console that's been alive since 2011 and has sold over 80 million hardware units, it already has a gigantic install base. That's not a proper comparison.

And to go further... At just a glance, you can see that BotW has an infinitely greater scale than Sun and Moon, by virtue of being a home console 3D title with the appropriate development budget, and got critical acclaim for everything it did to change things up - and doing it right. Pokemon simply won't reach such heights with linear improvements.
Pokemon needs change with each generation no doubt, but a drastic sudden change like this would do more harm than good. Especially considering that it is their first Switch game. Also sure Zelda went through changes but even with the open world, the game remained an action-adventure game with mild puzzle solving. Changing a very well established turned based system in their first attempt at a console level game would be a very big risk. Abilities, items and stats would all have to be revamped to some degree.

Pokemon gets a lot of heat for "Not changing" but frankly a lot of long running series with more than 6 games in them have similar elements. That is what makes the core of the gameplay. I like the multiple changes GF seems to be introducing. Especially with Gen 7. Something of the same level but more refined would make for a good first game in my opinion.

I think the reason that pokemon gets a lot of heat for "Not Changing" is the fact that they usually toss away good ideas from the previous generation. Take the dex-nav, that is something that really should be standard in the games it is like a natural evolution of the pokedex, and was well received and what do they do, toss it away, or look at the PSS one of the best ways that they have done online connectivity what did they do with that toss it away for the vastly inferior festival plaza. Heck take phones and the Vs seeker, phones were a nice way to allow you to have trainer rematches and the Vs. Seeker was a better version of that and what do they do, they just toss it away. In fact look at ride pokemon, ride pokemon were a nice way to move away from HMs (personally I would have liked it more if it didn't use so many kanto pokemon for it) do you think they will improve it by making it so that you can use your own pokemon for it or do think they will just toss it out, sadly there is a greater chance that they will just toss it out for gen 8. Then there is how they have done character customization many people were worried that they would have gotten rid of it and they had good reason to be worried, luckily they didn't get rid of customization but you can't look at the current customization options and tell me that they aren't a bit of a step down from what we had in XY. The core formula not changing is something that people can deal with but the fact that they toss away so many good ideas only exemplifies the fact that the core experience hasn't changed getting it more focus and more heat.

I'm little afraid about the next Pokémon games on the Nintendo Switch. If the Game Freak really starts the development around in 2016 and plans to launch in this year, doesn't sound a little bit rushed? I mean, they never develop a big game for a home gaming console previously. If this actually happens and we receive a game in the late 2018 with two years of development maybe we got a good game, but not a ambitious one how would everyone loves.

I'm not meaning that i want a open world Pokémon or another stuff similar, i just want a big game of Pokémon, a Pokémon game that we could put on a high level, a GOTY level.

The only way that i see they could develop the Game in this short period, launch it in this year and become a big game is if a Nintendo staff are somehow helping they on the development.

I'm little afraid about the next Pokémon games on the Nintendo Switch. If the Game Freak really starts the development around in 2016 and plans to launch in this year, doesn't sound a little bit rushed? I mean, they never develop a big game for a home gaming console previously. If this actually happens and we receive a game in the late 2018 with two years of development maybe we got a good game, but not a ambitious one how would everyone loves.

I'm not meaning that i want a open world Pokémon or another stuff similar, i just want a big game of Pokémon, a Pokémon game that we could put on a high level, a GOTY level.

The only way that i see they could develop the Game in this short period, launch it in this year and become a big game is if a Nintendo staff are somehow helping they on the development.
Didn't a game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 take like 2 years to develop the actual game itself? And do you know how big and beautiful that game is? I get that longer development times equals better games for some, but it doesn't need to take more than 3 years to develop a game for pokemon.

The alleged "Kanto reimagining" leak claims that minimal gameplay will be shown in the next Direct. So we'll soon see if the person was lying.

Note that they didn't mention Pikachu having a new Z-move. Just making the event-exclusive move regularly obtainable would be special. But I can only see Pikachu working as a secondary starter.

The player character had better be Red's relative rather than Red himself. Make the games sequels, especially if there isn't an evil team until the post-game.
DasVergeben, a leaker who had leaked correctly before, claims there'll be a Nintendo Direct in January, and that it would have some Pokemon Switch gameplay.

So, I think we'll see quite soon.

EDIT: Sorry I spelled his name wrong.

Last edited:
DasVergeben, a leaker who had leaked correctly before, claims there'll be a Nintendo Direct in January, and that it would have some Pokemon Switch gameplay.

So, I think we'll see quite soon.

EDIT: Sorry I spelled his name wrong.
nintendo direct never revealed stuff when it comes to pokemon (they revealed stuff like spin offs but not a mainline pokemon game)
not gonna happen, imo.

Scroll down, apparently Pokémon 0 and Pokémon 1 have been registered. Interesting, as they are binary numbers.

View: https://www.scribd.com/document/368285833/EUIPO-eSearch

They're fake, unfortunately.
Just a quick PSA. In case you've seen these trademarks for a supposed "Pokémon 1" and "Pokémon 0", they're fake. A quick search reveals nothing, plus the logos themselves have been clearly edited (i.e. the Pokémon logo itself is from OR).

nintendo direct never revealed stuff when it comes to pokemon (they revealed stuff like spin offs but not a mainline pokemon game)
not gonna happen, imo.

We never saw a first announcement on E3 and we got it last one so anything is possible.
I mean I'm still on the side of "Pokémon will say something about its game on its own Direct, as usual" but.

We never saw a first announcement on E3 and we got it last one so anything is possible.
I mean I'm still on the side of "Pokémon will say something about its game on its own Direct, as usual" but.
it was only to shut people up about ultra sun and moon.

Btw I don't understand how people want to see a "realistic" looking pokemon game with unreal engine 4 and such, as if that's going to happen, some people have no idea of what art direction is

maybe the rumored nintendo direct is actually pokemon direct :eek:

The argument that they've never shown off a Pokemon game in a normal direct is kind of dumb imo. In the past it made sense for Pokemon to have their own streams as for a time they were largely doing their own thing. They didn't need to worry about people buying the system the games would be on as it was already a given the the 3ds sold well and was in the hands of many consumers. This time however it makes much more sense for them to show stuff off in a normal direct. The normal directs arguably get more views than Pokemon directs. They're for a larger base. Pokemon fans typically watch both normal and Pokemon directs. However non Pokemon fans might not feel the need to tune into a directs for Pokemon specifically. If they're trying to entice people into buying Switchs then showing footage of a new Pokemon game in a normal direct makes WAY more sense. It's more available to the public and gives incentives to those who aren't crazy about Pokemon to tune in anyway. That way they get more eyes on the new content and hopefully get people who might not have cared otherwise to consider buying Pokemon. Yes it has never happened before, but this time around both Nintendo and all those involved in the Pokemon franchise are in the same boat. They NEED people to buy Switchs. They're working towards a common goal this time (other than the typical goal of making money I guess?) This time I think both Nintendo and GF are unsure of how their games will do. 2017 was an amazing start and certainly showed them that people want to buy, but they're still being cautious. And putting some Pokemon footage in a normal direct will get people, Pokemon fans and even non fans, excited.

Thaaaaat all said.......I'm still having a really hard time seeing them revealing the game before they officially reveal Zeraora. Unless the footage they show is SUPER generic and they don't give us a name and don't give us really any info I just can't see them showing it off while there's still gen 7 stuff to reveal. Maybe this time they just don't care?

EDIT: OH! And one more thing! The argument that they threw in the Switch game announcement during E3 to shut people up about USUM is SOOOOO stupid. They plan these things out weeks, even months, ahead of time. People need to get off of themselves and see that Nintendo and GF don't plan stuff around their own likes and dislikes all the time. The Switch game announcement was in all likelihood always supposed to be during the presentation. It's not like they filmed the direct days before the presentation aired. Sheesh........Not trying to insult anyone, but ya'll need to get over yourselves.....

As I've said before, Zeraora might have been added to USUM just in case they had to delay the Switch games. It doesn't have a Z-move or an event.

I actually never thought of that. That could’ve been the backup plan in case the Switch games get delayed or something unforeseen happens. That way they would go 2 years without announcing a new Pokémon if the games can’t make 2018.

I believe the rumors that they are going to do a reboot for the Switch and I don't mind it will be like Pokemon Insursure. I thought Pokemon insurgence is dark and really fun fan game beside Pokemon Uranium.

I hope Game Freak doesn't threats Pokemon insurgence's creators like they did with the Pokemon Uranium creators. I thought it's really sad that Game Freak did that,but the Uranium team are a bunch of kids that having fun. Uranium and Sun/Moon games have similar story plots,but I think the Uranium idea came out of a Kajiu movie and it came out before Sun/Moon has released.

Probably Game Freak finally has comes a realize that they are running out for new POkemon for the newest generation and they wanted to restart from square one. Probably they like the fan game idea after they has a lot of people was playing fan games when the Sun/Moon games and anime doesn't do great after they came out and want to cooperate with their new games. At least they added more stuff like previous generation to the Ultra version and change up the storyline. I like that. I think they also realize that people don't care about new Pokemon and possible they are aiming for a dark and driven storyline to let older players and younger players,too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom