• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debunked: Colress gives you devices to fuse Solgaleo/Lunala with Necrozma in USUM, and even mentions his experience with the previous DNA Splicers.

Also, I don't know what to make of Kanto as a possibility. It wasn't just nostalgia that made Pokemon Go popular for a time, but because of the dream of real life pokemon. (that wasn't exactly what they got, but I digress) I'm also not sure if Gamefreak would also think on the lines that the reason that BOTW and Odyssey were so popular was purely because of open world. That's part of it, maybe, but in both instances, it was more a return to an older play style that was loved for both franchises. Pokemon has never changed it's core gameplay, so that idea is invalid for it unless you're sincerely suggesting we GUT pokemon down to what it was in earlier gens.

The only other ways I can even fathom doing this without interfering with anything is to just bring in features that were loved from previous gens that have been put on the wayside in recent times. Stuff like alternate paths and trainers with more pokemon. Maybe even trainer rematches and PokeNav. I don't feel old locations are that important to this. BOTW and Odyssey didn't need them, and neither do we. It's the only thing that will bring in the same crowd as Go? That didn't stop Sun and Moon. Not to mention even a remake won't bring back the craze. We've tried that several times and none of them worked. What would? Open world would seem to work towards this as well, but it would need to be far more than that. We would need for this to be the most customizable and anime-like experience that is still possible within the confines of a game.

Last edited:
If anything, this distribution announcement tells me that we're getting closer to hearing about the new Switch game within the next couple months. What I mean is that it appears they're rolling out Pokemon news in relation to the main series games for 2018.

Kinda wish we get some mythical releases as well, cause I wasn't focused on natures and stuff at first so almost all of mine have terrible ones.

Debunked: Colress gives you devices to fuse Solgaleo/Lunala with Necrozma in USUM, and even mentions his experience with the previous DNA Splicers.

Also, I don't know what to make of Kanto as a possibility. It wasn't just nostalgia that made Pokemon Go popular for a time, but because of the dream of real life pokemon. (that wasn't exactly what they got, but I digress) I'm also not sure if Gamefreak would also think on the lines that the reason that BOTW and Odyssey were so popular was purely because of open world. That's part of it, maybe, but in both instances, it was more a return to an older play style that was loved for both franchises. Pokemon has never changed it's core gameplay, so that idea is invalid for it unless you're sincerely suggesting we GUT pokemon down to what it was in earlier gens.

The only other ways I can even fathom doing this without interfering with anything is to just bring in features that were loved from previous gens that have been put on the wayside in recent times. Stuff like alternate paths and trainers with more pokemon. Maybe even trainer rematches and PokeNav. I don't feel old locations are that important to this. BOTW and Odyssey didn't need them, and neither do we. It's the only thing that will bring in the same crowd as Go? That didn't stop Sun and Moon. Not to mention even a remake won't bring back the craze. We've tried that several times and none of them worked. What would? Open world would seem to work towards this as well, but it would need to be far more than that. We would need for this to be the most customizable and anime-like experience that is still possible within the confines of a game.

Didn't Colress create the fuser with Necrozma based on his experience with the DNA splicers? It's completely likely I'm misremembering things as it was such a short and almost out of nowhere scene.

And what I mean by Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey returning to their roots isn't that they're exact copies. Far from it. Both go back to core design choices of earlier games and then refine and expand on them. Zelda goes back to an open world, but this one is three dimensional and gives you the ability to jump and climb things. Previously mountains in a Zelda game meant navigating the bottom until you found a path. Now you can just climb over it and almost anything. It takes what were staples of its linearity, something that previously closed off areas, and openly dares you to explore them. It often rewards you, too. Odyssey does a few things. First, it allows you to become the enemies and obstacles, therefore drawing you in, rather than pushing you forward. It also doesn't reset the level once you've acquired a moon. There are natural end points and story progression that you'll take, but once that's done, the goal is up to you.

Taking the same approach to Pokemon And keeping in mind the intent, I don't think Pokemon needs to become more anime like. I think it needs to get back to its roots of social discoveries. When it was popular originally, people would tell stories about their experiences and it would turn rumors into myths not unlike those that inhabited the game. What I think it needs to do is open itself up to multiplayer. I don't mean an mmo. I mean allowing 1 to 3 other people to join you, either online or in person by using the joy con's split system. I know the English theme song sang of becoming the very best, but the game itself said trade with each other and you might find a new, even stronger Pokemon. Battling each other is fine, but allowing a second player to travel with you and control their own Pokemon in double battles alongside you would open up the world. They don't even need to enable voice chat. Take a cue from the game Journey and have a button that calls for the other persons attention. Even if the game was linear, as long as it felt open enough, it would redefine how we explored a region. You could do an MMO, but I think there's something about the solitude of a Pokemon campaign that's appealing. Getting to share it with a tiny amount of real people would make everything feel new and unknown, but not overwhelming. As long as it felt intimate and personal so the player didn't feel lost or insignificant, it would work. In that sense it actually would be more like the anime, with Ash traveling with a select few companions. If Game Freak could emulate that, I don't think they'd need anything else.

A reimagined Kanto with a large amount of the newer generations would work best at drawing people back in and getting them used to what's changed. However, if they can do the small team approach, a completely new region would work just as well as long as there were enough recognizable Pokemon early on.

the real thing its ¿so early how people have this information? even more i m impressed how pokémon evolves i mean almost reach 1000 mons the time passes and i was thiking about my complain in battle system i cant judge nothing without watch something visual the idea its not bad but the risk for make new things its make unhappy others you can do anything because the "balance of" please everyone its impossible much information and i dont take time for thinking and i expressed so bad and childish

@Feign BotW and Odyssey didn't return to their series roots' to the same degree that a Kanto remake would. For BotW, Zelda always takes place in Hyrule but the layout, locations, characters, and lore change up from game to game to the point where they're all the same kingdom in little more than name. And Odyssey only really included the Mushroom Kingdom as a post game Easter Egg whereas the majority of its locations were new. Whereas with Pokemon, going back to Kanto would mean most of the region and its assets would remain the same, even for a sequel. It'd be a remake by Mario and Zelda's standards. For this game to go BotW/Odyssey it'd need to be a brand new region. BotW and Odyssey's game worlds were designed from the ground up for their games, so should Pokemon's.

Hey, I have a theory that the new game could tie in with the anime and the movies (include "I Choose you" movie). This theory could involve with Ash could possible come back as the main character in the next gen game with a twist.

I am thinking about posting in a new thread,but Do you guys want me to post it on here?

Hey, I have a theory that the new game could tie in with the anime and the movies (include "I Choose you" movie). This theory could involve with Ash could possible come back as the main character in the next gen game with a twist.

I am thinking about posting in a new thread,but Do you guys want me to post it on here?

Maaaaybe do it in a new thread. This thread isn't really for theories. Prolly best to be on the safe side and post it in a different one

And if it's not Kanto adjacent, then I'll guess that it's a more mature take on the series. Just look at that first Switch commercial. This is the new target audience:

I get the impression that the Switch is trying to rope in as many people possible without restrictions... they’ve done a lot for younger players- 1 2 Switch was a launchtitle, and Nintendo Labo is meant for kids.
I think Pokemon will try to appeal both to children, with some subtle 'mature' elements for older players.

Legendary Year...really? Let's just face it, a 2018 release is proving to be more and more unlikely. I lost all my hopes when I noticed the absence of information about it on Direct, to be honest.

We had Zeraora, then the release of Detective Pikachu in March, followed by the absence of information about the game in Direct, and now this, the "Legendary Year".

It's over guys, at least for me it's obvious that the game will not be released this year. We had the distribution of mythicals in Sun and Moon season, but it was the twentieth birthday, and Sun and Moon wasn't such an important generation jump as well. As I said in an old post, for a generation jump like this, would be best to announce the games in early January, for marketing purposes. Youtubers have already made the list of games they most want to play this year, for example...

The environment is no longer 'conducive' to an important announcement like this imo. They are totally turning the fans' attention to many other things.

But I still expect some little information about the games at E3.

Last edited:
Yeah, unlike the mythicals this has its own sub brand, and will likely get a merchandise line going and everything. This and Detective Pikachu are gonna be TPCi's big things this year, and Gen 8 is gonna be reserved for 2019. I dunno why people expected differently in the first place, no gem will ever be just 2 years.

Specially since we had a mythical year in 2016, and mythicals seem to be a bigger thing than Legendaries. Most of the distributed legends are also available in USUM, with the exception of shiny Zygarde. And I’ve seen some users mention that December was left out.

So I don’t know why does this disqualify a December 2018 release.

This doesn't disqualify anything, only adds up to the rest.

After all, why would the most difficult hardware leap be what would take less time to do?

Also, as I said, an important announcement like this should have been made earlier, and be the focus of the franchise till the release. It's almost February, and we are still going to have Zeraora announcement, Detective Pikachu release, and now the Legendary Year.

It seems obvious to me that we will not have the Switch main game this year, but you believe what you want. I didn't say that it disqualify a 2018 release, only that it is proving to be more and more unlikely to happen. impossible to happen imo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom