• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2019 release doesn't guarantee a good game, if Game Freak still has the philosophy of appealing to the mobile gamers. A 2018 release doesn't guarantee a rushed game, if Game Freak changed their vision and/or got outside help. I personally feel like we're back were we started: we know nothing. Although I do think a 2019 release is getting more likely with each passing day, I won't believe anything until we get actual news.

Honestly after the abysmal rushed Gen 6 series, I was fairly satisfied with Gen 7 and that restored my love towards the series, I have faith that Gen 8 will be a good one. Myself like most other fans are more worried about the reboot concept that the riddler and other leaks are insinuating will be happening. Hopefully it doesnt muck with the battle system too much.

I agree I'm positive her Eevee will evolve into a new Eeveelution notably Flying type from the hints and teases.
how you be possitive and so excited? my god i lost completely the hype and i m burned the point questioning i am really pokemon fan and really how nintendo its right now maybe its i am overttached in nostalgia and 2 screen format for long time and the idea you can games and dlcs with any cost dont know good day

A 2019 release doesn't guarantee a good game, if Game Freak still has the philosophy of appealing to the mobile gamers. A 2018 release doesn't guarantee a rushed game, if Game Freak changed their vision and/or got outside help. I personally feel like we're back were we started: we know nothing. Although I do think a 2019 release is getting more likely with each passing day, I won't believe anything until we get actual news.
Couldn't have said it better. I'm starting to lean towards 2019 release after this direct, but we are still in Q1 of the year. If we don't get anything by June/July then it is a done deal. Let's wait for CoroCoro leak to see what's up with Lugia and that stupid movie.

I don't think that's gonna happen. Last time they did that, fans got mad that they couldn't use their old favorites. As a result, BW2 added a bunch of old Pokemon to the dex. I think that this refers to Zeraora.

Let me reboot my comment. .... "A reboot perhaps B2&W2 style.

Hard to know what the riddler is saying. :confused:

There really is nothing else I can say about Rebootmon, as it really is as cut and dry as it looks. A reboot, and anything that would entail. Though I must ponder if by using it specifically means that this isn't some derived meaning of reboot, but the common definition of it. Aka, a HARD reboot. Mind you, this doesn't have to mean pokemon, but something else being irrevocably changed to where all the previous versions are being ignored. I'm not sure if there's a version of this that WOULDN'T be so controversial it could destroy the fandom, perhaps permanently. Nonetheless, the least devastating blow in this avenue to me would be the aforementioned timeline shift. In this sense, everything you knew about the events of previous games does not exist. It never existed. A completely new story that either makes no references or even features knowledge from the past, or we start all over again from scratch.

Well that's interesting...

There really is nothing else I can say about Rebootmon, as it really is as cut and dry as it looks. A reboot, and anything that would entail. Though I must ponder if by using it specifically means that this isn't some derived meaning of reboot, but the common definition of it. Aka, a HARD reboot. Mind you, this doesn't have to mean pokemon, but something else being irrevocably changed to where all the previous versions are being ignored. I'm not sure if there's a version of this that WOULDN'T be so controversial it could destroy the fandom, perhaps permanently. Nonetheless, the least devastating blow in this avenue to me would be the aforementioned timeline shift. In this sense, everything you knew about the events of previous games does not exist. It never existed. A completely new story that either makes no references or even features knowledge from the past, or we start all over again from scratch.

A rebooted timeline actually kinda makes sense; in USUM's post-game, we're exposed to the existence of alternate universes and teased with RR Giovanni returning. Maybe with the Switch game, we're starting with a new "universe" that has nothing to do with the events of past games.

About the Reboot thing...

The last time it happens was on the DS and people already had history on the 3DS with D/P, P, and HG/SS so of course people wanted to see their old favorited especially since HG/SS took then back to Kanto and B/W was on the DS again. This time they are on the Switch so things are a little different now.
Also we have Pokebank so regardless of whether or not there is a reboot, we can get our old Pokémon through that method.
Finally the real question is, is it a reboot of Kanto or a reboot of the series in general, taking place in a new region?

About the 2018/2019 rusher thing. I see a lot of people saying that X/Y was horrible because it was rushed but somehow Sun/Moon is better because it wasn’t? How long they take to make the game doesn’t actually matter.
X/Y wasn’t actually rushed. Sun/Moon was.

X/Y started development in 2010 after Black/White so they had the rest of 2010, all of 2011, all of 2012, and a huge chunk of 2013. That was about 3+ years of development.

Ohmori said he started working on Sun/Moon after Or/As in 2014. He likely had some general ideas of what he wanted to do (at least the region since X/Y hinted at it a bit). He had the rest of 2014 (which wasn’t much), all of 2015, and the rest of 2016. That was about 2+ years of development, less than X/Y. I believe Ohmori also said something about having to resuse assets for the trials because he had no one to help him.

Also keep in mind for X/Y they had to 3D model a whole bunch of Pokémon

My point is, the amount of time it takes to make a game does not = quality of the game. People say X/Y was rushed and Sun/Moon was good but in reality Sun/Moon was rushed, X/Y wasn’t.

Maybe they will do it like the comics do it (the way they handle reboots).

What I mean is some comics have many different universes in the multiverse and sometimes it gets confusing so every once in a while they do a reboot and merge everything together into one universe in a reboot (like they did with the Marvel universe recently)

Right now the Pokémon Multiverse is getting a bit crazy. There is the normal universe, the Mega Evolution universe, and now Ultra Space. A reboot could combine them all into one and basically say “This is the new Pokémon”

I'm fine with any kind of reboot as long as they don’t retcon stuff like Megas completely.

Ideally I'd like a reboot to take place in a very different Kanto with rainbow Rocket as the villains. It'd be much preferable to a Kanto 3.0 region. I do not want the new region to be a Kanto pandering fest. Even Kanto itself would be preferable to that.

I don't understand how a rebooted timeline would make any sense when we start every game as a new character in a new region with very loose, barely existent and pretty damn negligible chronological connection between them- unless it's a reboot for one particular region, which... also seems pointless to do when you could just make a new region with new lore.

It's really hard to see how a reboot scenario would work with this series, since we don't have the same character from one game to the next and throwing out all currently existing lore and pokemon doesn't seem like a sensible option. I guess the best idea we've got is a B/W scenario with the entirely new pokemon... which I hope isn't the case because I hated those games for exactly that reason. But on the flipside, B/W released the most pokemon out of any gen, which if they released over 100 pokemon with this gen, could make up for the last two gens having the lowest number of new pokemon to date? Doesn't seem particularly likely at this point, though.

I feel like an overhaul of the battle system would make the most sense (and while I know this isn't a popular opinion, I do hope for it because I'm very tired of the current battle system and would rather have a more real-time setup- bit of a button masher and would like to get through fights quickly) or it could be...

Like Island Trials. The trials were obviously the equivalent to gyms in Alola, but what if they developed more on the idea of getting away from the gym format and did something that really was a change from the gym grind? Something that would redefine how the games are viewed? More of an RPG scenario than Pokemon has ever been? Something more story-based and further removed from trying to become champion of a region, like... if we took our pokemon and jumped into a Zelda game.

About the Reboot thing...

The last time it happens was on the DS and people already had history on the 3DS with D/P, P, and HG/SS so of course people wanted to see their old favorited especially since HG/SS took then back to Kanto and B/W was on the DS again. This time they are on the Switch so things are a little different now.
Also we have Pokebank so regardless of whether or not there is a reboot, we can get our old Pokémon through that method.
Finally the real question is, is it a reboot of Kanto or a reboot of the series in general, taking place in a new region?

About the 2018/2019 rusher thing. I see a lot of people saying that X/Y was horrible because it was rushed but somehow Sun/Moon is better because it wasn’t? How long they take to make the game doesn’t actually matter.
X/Y wasn’t actually rushed. Sun/Moon was.
X/Y started development in 2010 after Black/White so they had the rest of 2010, all of 2011, all of 2012, and a huge chunk of 2013. That was about 3+ years of development.

Ohmori said he started working on Sun/Moon after Or/As in 2014. He likely had some general ideas of what he wanted to do (at least the region since X/Y hinted at it a bit). He had the rest of 2014 (which wasn’t much), all of 2015, and the rest of 2016. That was about 2+ years of development, less than X/Y. I believe Ohmori also said something about having to resuse assets for the trials because he had no one to help him.

Also keep in mind for X/Y they had to 3D model a whole bunch of Pokémon

My point is, the amount of time it takes to make a game does not = quality of the game. People say X/Y was rushed and Sun/Moon was good but in reality Sun/Moon was rushed, X/Y wasn’t.
The problem with the switch titles is that we have no idea about the games development. So saying that the games will be rushed if they come out in 2018 is not rational imo. Masuda could have started them in 2014 for what we know. This entire argument should not be taken in consideration until we have official infos from GF about the games development.
I also would like to point out that from December 2018 to March 2019 nothing significant will happen, 3 months won't change the games.

P.s. I'm maybe the only person really excited about this reboot rumor. After 20 years of pokemon I was kinda sure that GF would have simply made another pokemon game but on the switch. I'm glad to see that maybe I was wrong and that maybe GF was brave enough to create a new pokemon experience for an innovative console. This is what made both Zelda and Mario great games. I would wait and see what they did before judging.

Last edited:
A rebooted timeline actually kinda makes sense; in USUM's post-game, we're exposed to the existence of alternate universes and teased with RR Giovanni returning. Maybe with the Switch game, we're starting with a new "universe" that has nothing to do with the events of past games.

Which is basically a small problem, since it means that eliminates the possibilty for Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos remakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom