• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying we'll get nothing at all this year. The opposite in fact. I think this year will be filled with gen 8 news. I just think people are thinking it'll be like all the other years when in fact it's already shaping up to not be. I think the news will start rolling out in June and while that doesn't mean they games can't come out this year it also doesn't seem as likely as if they were announced last month. It's in Nintendo and TPC's best interest to use the most time they can to promote the new games. So it logically doesn't make sense to announce in say June and release by November. People act like the month or two of silence is a black hole where nothing happens after the initial reveal. They likely do that on purpose. The lack of immediate news makes us want it all the more. Sort of like what it's doing to us now. The fact that we have filled 316 pages of speculation means that even just an acknowledgement of the game existing is enough to get people excited. So the longer they draw out news the better for them. And for the record I don't want the game to come out next year necessarily. I'm just trying to be realistic. And again if I'm wrong I'm wrong and that's cool with me because then we'll get news sooner than I expected. I do think they meant to get it out this year and I do think there is still a small chance it could come out this year, but acting like "2018 or later" explicitly means it's gonna happen this year is as silly as saying it has to come out next year. Whatever happens will happen I guess. I'll try not to be such a downer, but considering the outrage that people went through during Pokemon day and sort of again during the direct I'd say a tiny bit of pessimism is necessary.
Pessimism is not necessary when there's realism. I've seen no one here constantly pointing out that the games will come out this year. While I keep seeing people that keep writing about the lack of hope for this year release basically each two days.
Realism: we don't know when the games will come out. When there's a new announcement we keep an eye on it cause there could be something. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't. It's not like our lives will end with nothing announced, we don't really need help on realizing that nothing has happened. We don't really need a post each two pages saying that the games will come out next year. We know that could happen. We have accepted the possibility. Can we speculate or should we close this chat and come back in June?

Last edited:
I don't understand why anyone wants a 2019 release- that doesn't guarantee anything in the quality of the games. It doesn't mean that they will have "taken their time with it" any more than if it does release in 2018. They said 2018 or later, which means that they thought that they might make the 2018 deadline. In all likelihood, they're still going to try to aim for that, and it probably won't make any difference if they miss it. They're not going to go "Welp, we missed 2018, let's slow down and take another year on this."

I can understand accepting that a 2019 release is possible, but I don't understand actively wanting it.

Personally- USUM wasn't worth buying for me. I'd like to move on and have it confirmed whether or not regional variants are going to make a return. I'd also like to see that ultra beasts don't make a return. I'd like to see new eeveelutions and new pokemon.

And as someone who runs a pokemon art/roleplay group... I'd like to see if the new games can revive interest in the franchise because on that end, it's gotten kinda dead.

I don't think 2019 means more development time (although I would hope that means they'd spend the time tweaking it) just from a marketing and promotion standpoint, especially if they're going to want to show off new features and mechanics, an E3 preview with a 2019 release makes sense to me.

Look at Gen 2: Gold and Silver were revealed at Space World 97 with a Demo. Lots of features were hinted at in the lead up to 1999 and the release. Lots of rumors too, especially with the infancy of the internet. Originally, Gold and Silver were supposed to be released at the end of 1997 for the Gameboy but as we know... they came out in 1999 in Japan and 2000 in the US.

Not saying the develop cycle is the same, but this isn't the first instance of games being announced or a possible release date hinted at and then nothing happens.

I understand the wanting to move on, I get that. I really do. But just because the fans are ready doesn't mean TCPI or Nintendo are ready for us to move on. I am curious to see what the future holds and want details as much as the next person but I am also willing to wait.

Pessimism is not necessary when there's realism. I've see no one here constantly pointing out that the games will come out this year. While I keep seeing people that keep writing about the lack of hope for this year release basically each two days.
Realism: we don't know when the games will come out. When there's a new announcement we keep an eye on it cause there could be something. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't. It's not like our lives will end with nothing announced, we don't really need help on realizing that nothing has happened. We don't really need a post each two pages saying that the games will come out next year. We know that could happen. We have accepted the possibility. Can we speculate or should we close this chat and come back in June?

Then you be the person to push why the game could still come out this year. This thread is literally for discussing these things. I give my opinion and reasons why I think X and you give your reason why you think Y. We don't have to agree. It's fine if we don't. Also I literally just said that I'd accept whatever ends up happening so stop acting like I'm not being flexible with this because I am.There's no reason to close the thread just because we disagree when the game will be announced/released sheesh.....

I personally don't care either way since whatever happens will make the boss happy.
However, the last thing I want is the series to be hit with another does of fatigue after the inevitable Gen 8 hype wanes.
Brothers I'm with you, speculation is fun but I've seen where people hype themselves up to the point that start to "expect" things to happen only for them not and thus leading to them antagonizing Nintendo over something that was never promised.

When thinking about possible additions or changes to the battle system, I imagine 'action commands' could be a nice touch ... done properly, of course.

Imagine, for example, that perfectly nailing the action command for an attack gives the move a 10% boost in power (or for status moves, accuracy). Utterly failing said action command yields a -20% penalty. The same also applies to taking hits, reducing the power (or accuracy) of an opponent's move. This means your action commands can yield up to a ~37% variation in the overall effectiveness of a move in battle. In multiplayer battles this can potentially double (to about 50%) because both players are performing their own action commands, but if both players hit their action commands equally, the net effect on a given move is zero.

Then you be the person to push why the game could still come out this year. This thread is literally for discussing these things. I give my opinion and reasons why I think X and you give your reason why you think Y. We don't have to agree. It's fine if we don't. Also I literally just said that I'd accept whatever ends up happening so stop acting like I'm not being flexible with this because I am.There's no reason to close the thread just because we disagree when the game will be announced/released sheesh.....
The difference is that I'm not giving my opinion/reasons: 2018 or later is an official statement. It's not like I'm fighting for it. I respect your point of view and your reasons but what's official is official. That's the basement, 50% and 50%. We should all agree on this and then we can speculate and give our opinions.

View: https://twitter.com/PokeshopperVGC/status/972681135284158464

See. He has seen the cover and he is still on the 2018 or later XD

I still think we could be looking at a December or January release with potentially fewer months of promotional build up- thus explaining the "2018 or later" and addressing the "too many spoilers" issue that we've had in the past.

Look at Gen 2: Gold and Silver were revealed at Space World 97 with a Demo. Lots of features were hinted at in the lead up to 1999 and the release. Lots of rumors too, especially with the infancy of the internet. Originally, Gold and Silver were supposed to be released at the end of 1997 for the Gameboy but as we know... they came out in 1999 in Japan and 2000 in the US.

I think we've come a long way in development since gen 2- gen 2 and even gen 1 were both put on hold for long periods of time, due to resources or other issues. Game Freak was a young company and technology wasn't nearly as advanced. We had a ton of glitches in those generations- a whole ton. And like glitches have gradually become minimal with each release, I don't think they've failed a proposed release date since gen 2, have they? =/ I just don't think it's really comparable this far down the line, unless they decided to be considerably more ambitious with the Switch games, which... in all likelihood, probably not?

In fact, my hopes for a 2018 release lie mostly in that I really doubt that these games will be extraordinarily revolutionary-seeming like BOTW was-- I'd like to see them prove me wrong-- but Sun and Moon were supposed to be "out of the box" and when you got past the renaming of things... they were still very much in that same old box.

I doubt they care about how much the spoil.
The name of the game is maximization.
Cause so much hype that it forcefully pulls people in like a vortex

I think for me: If we get a Gen 8 announcement Juneish/E3 time and get Pokemon reveals for the months after till a release, 2018 or early 2019, that would be fine for me.

My only issue is if we get a spin-off (Which we will if this is a 2015 case), revealing new Pokemon in the later half of 2018 will kill all the hype (If any of course) for the Spin-off unless it gets released before Pokemon start showing.

As for this Corocoro, I'd wait and see for it before jumping to many conclusions.
After seeing Paul Ryans post on the cover, I've lower expectations but something wanted to point out.
Last time that I can remember where Corocoro said "Look at for the next scoop" was with Type: Null and we got Silvally. I could be completely wrong on this but it just seems weird to tease a movie distribution a month before it's reveal.

Again, could be completely wrong on that last part and If I am, oh well.

Also I've said it once but Do not believe ANYTHING MegaXY says He leeches off other people and spams threads on VP. Only trust reliable sources. I browse VP everyday and he is universally hated on there.
Just thought I'd throw that out again seeming a few posts have been made on him.

I doubt they care about how much the spoil.
The name of the game is maximization.
Cause so much hype that it forcefully pulls people in like a vortex
The problem with spoiling too much, though, is that they wind up putting all their cards on the table and lose a bunch of people because why bother playing a game if you already know 90% of what's in it? Even if you only follow official Pokemon news, they wind up spoiling most of the game, and if you're not one of those hopeful people unexposed to the datamine who rushed to get the game to see what's left... your friends are gonna tell you flat out that you didn't miss much.

So, does anyone actually have a picture of the cover?
Nope. We just pretend to have seen it so we can debate. XD
Joking apart, Paul ryan is pretty professional. We don't know if he saw the cover himself or if he read something about it, but if he posted a tweet, I think he is kinda sure about the lack of pokemon on the cover.

whether it's 2018 or 2019 a skip year is coming.

so would rather

2018 - skip year
2019 - gen 8
2020- remake of d/p or whatever

or

2018 - gen 8
2019 - skip year
2020 - remakes

I want back to back years

The problem with spoiling too much, though, is that they wind up putting all their cards on the table and lose a bunch of people because why bother playing a game if you already know 90% of what's in it? Even if you only follow official Pokemon news, they wind up spoiling most of the game, and if you're not one of those hopeful people unexposed to the datamine who rushed to get the game to see what's left... your friends are gonna tell you flat out that you didn't miss much.
That's main casuals and children whom rely on word of mouth to truly get into stuff.
We old-timers are likely to buy the games regardless.

whether it's 2018 or 2019 a skip year is coming.

so would rather

2018 - skip year
2019 - gen 8
2020- remake of d/p or whatever

or

2018 - gen 8
2019 - skip year
2020 - remakes

I want back to back years
I don't think that gen 4 remakes will come out in 2020 if gen 8 comes out in 2019 anyway. I mean a Switch title requires a bit more than one year, it's not like the 3ds. You also have to consider that if they release the games in 2019 it's because they are not ready, so it will not be like past years that they start a generation while another is coming out.
Probably with the switch era we will see less game releases (but let's hope for better games at least)

I don't think that gen 4 remakes will come out in 2020 if gen 8 comes out in 2019 anyway. I mean a Switch title requires a bit more than one year, it's not like the 3ds. You also have to consider that if they release the games in 2019 it's because they are not ready, so it will not be like past years that they start a generation while another is coming out.
Probably with the switch era we will see less game releases (but let's hope for better games at least)

On the other hand, we might not lose too much speed in releases if they're reusing resources for the brunt of it. The pokemon models we have now could last us awhile.

Yeah, but they don't need to market to us, so spoiling the games is a lose-lose situation either way.
It basically causes the games to go viral which is what they want.
Like with how almost everything in SM became a meme and got spread around like wild fire.
The end result was millions in sales and like seven different awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom