• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that simply. The Kanto in Gold and the Kanto in Red take place in the arc of 2-3 years. There was a wall before that prevented gen 2 pokemon to reach kanto maybe? No. They simply took place in two different universes
But in gen II red exists and he disbanded team Rocket. So it has to be the same universe.

Thats an interesting thought. If the new games end up being a Kanto revisit of some sort with no new Pokémon, but a different story line with different characters and plots, built with a new engine, is that considered gen 8? Its definitely not gen 7, but if a new region and a new set of Pokémon is what we use to define a new generation can we call it gen 8?

I think so but its fun to think about.
It would still be considered Gen VII, because there is no new region, no new starters, and no new box legends.

The term is really a substitute for the word sequel, since we can't really use it. Most of the long-running series that I'm aware of have abandoned the term of sequel, and merely call them new entries into the series. That is also a term that doesn't work too well for us because we get multiple games for each one, and they are collectively grouped into one entity. The rest would have to rely on where the barrier needs to be placed, and no one can agree on that.

I wouldn't take the one leakers info as fact. Just because at one point they planned for a November release doesn't mean things haven't changed. It's certainly not impossible that they're still sticking to that release, but suddenly taking it as fact is a dangerous move. We'll just have to wait and see what happens

What if he came from a completely alternate Kanto, like I know he's from a universe where he rules, but what if this Kanto is a completely different region compared to the original?

Everything that I know of that simply started telling another story but with the same kind of setting are not usually considered by the fandom to be numbered with the rest of them. They are usually considered to be another series, albeit set within the same franchise. Mind you, this can still be considered to be the "main" part of the series if the original story line is discontinued from that point forward. If the original story is still running, then it's considered a spinoff series. May run into some semantics there considering Star Trek, but that's TV and movies and not video games. FF is numbered like sequels, but none of them are really sequels, and those that are were made at different points in time for different specific entries, so they can't be considered in the same context as pokemon's games. Stuff like Mega Man and Mario question what the definition of a spinoff truly is because most of what they did became series in their own right, and even considered on the same level as the original series. Mario has the added confusion of they stopped numbering the games and they never had continuity to begin with. So what really is a sequel at that point?

It would still be considered Gen VII, because there is no new region, no new starters, and no new box legends.
If it was made in a completly different engine it couldnt be gen 7 imo.
I dont want to repeat myself but i think that is a good way to tell generations apart.

It's quite the interesting story and certainly shows that they were planning to get the game out this year. It really makes you think. On one hand if what they said is still the plan then what's taking them so long to start promoting it? At the very least you'd think they'd get Zeraora out of the way already. On the other hand if something happened to cause them to push the release back you gotta wonder what it was exactly given that the script is already translated or is currently being done at least. Also you gotta consider how spin offs and other series come into play

So you can't say anything to anyone? Not even your friends in private, like at your house or skype or something?

Yeah, companies tend to be very serious with this kind of stuff. Heck, I remember a couple summers ago when the 8th Harry Potter Book was released we were sworn to absolute secrecy. We could not say how many copies would be getting, when they were coming, and when they were there. And a punishment if you were caught saying anything was enough to terminate your job.

So,apparently this is what CoroCoro's scoop is about?

Attachments

• 1520794878844s.jpg
    1520794878844s.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 114
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom