• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. :D Because the entire eevee evolution mechanic is based off a mutation as its gimmick, so it is nice to see deviating designs and moving to a different norm. Hopefully this new evolution doesn't disappoint.
Personally, I hope it's more along the lines of glaceon than sylveon- glaceon is like the perfect zone between too simple and too much to look at. I mean sylveon's design isn't technically that busy, but the ribbons and butterfly bows do make it look that way.

Pokemon that are classified as 'Baby Pokemon' can't be bred, because they're babies- so with IV breeding Mareep, for instance, if you breed together two parents with good IVs and get a baby with better IVs, you can stat breeding the baby right away to increase your odds for more good IV offspring- with baby Pokemon, you have to evolve them first, which usually involves raising their Friendship really high first, and for some of them involves doing this during night or day (Riolu...)

The baby Pokemon status could be scrapped too.

I actually like some of the evolution methods. It adds interesting quirks to some of the Pokemon's character or lore. Like Pancham basically being a playful kid that hangs around with the wrong crowd to evolve, or the earlier Ancient Power ones when they go through a "prehistoric" like evolution. It's cool and adds a bit more depth to the world, I think. Everything evolving at a certain level or with an evolution stone would be boring.

I could live without things like Incenses though.

The baby Pokemon status could be scrapped too.
Considered that but when you think about it, baby pokemon's designs are very... baby. It almost seems uncomfortable to consider them adults now. I'd lean more towards just accepting the IV problem- I mean, easy for me to say since I don't IV breed but- it kinda makes sense to have some pokemon be harder to breed than others. Is it a pain? Certainly. But it's like just adding another challenge to a regular mechanic.

What I think would make up for it, though, is if pokemon with baby evolutions were given access to something that would particularly benefit them? Like a certain special move that you could only get from breeding, that would benefit from perfect IVs and hopefully make the added frustration worth it in the end.

I actually like some of the evolution methods. It adds interesting quirks to some of the Pokemon's character or lore. Like Pancham basically being a playful kid that hangs around with the wrong crowd to evolve, or the earlier Ancient Power ones when they go through a "prehistoric" like evolution. It's cool and adds a bit more depth to the world, I think. Everything evolving at a certain level or with an evolution stone would be boring.

I could live without things like Incenses though.
I'm perfectly okay with some of the quirky evolution methods. XD I'd just like to see glaceon and leafeon's changed because we have leaf and ice stones now, so it seems kinda pointless to have to hunt down an even bigger rock.

*rubs ice stone on eevee's face* See this? It's an icy rock. You can evolve now. Go ahead. >=[ Do it.

Speaking of complicated, though... sylveon's evolution method. Hoo boy.

Last edited:
A lot of the base form pokemon are also too undeveloped as well.

Are we going to Tokyo? :cool:

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 127
For my part, I don’t want to see an overly extensive standardization of things - I’ve always been an avid despise-r of the “the Eeveelutions should all just evolve via stones” idea, for example - because I feel like it would make the world too sterile and boring and robotic. I think stuff like the evolution methods for Sliggoo and Inkay and Mantyke, or breeding Phione from Manaphy+Ditto are fun details which add character to those Pokémon, and make the world feel more textured.

But yeah, I would like to see some clean-up efforts. I’m fine with ditching incenses and the Baby category. I’ve been quietly begging since 2013 for them to either add a proper Fairy type boosting item or just cut the rest and rely solely on the Plates for that function (while we’re at it, give Arceus a Fairy-type move so it can finally use Twinkle Tackle please). Nidoran♀ and Nidoran♂ should be renamed (why not Nidora and Nidoro?) now that gender differences have been more formally established , although that’s probably considered sacrilege, but I don’t care. And while we’re at it, why don’t Tauros and Miltank share that whole “eggs from one can hatch into either” gimmick that Nidora/Nidoro (try and stop me, GF) and Volbeat/Illumise have? The Alola Dex already had the audacity to group them together on the same page (but admittedly, it also did the same for Passimian and Oranguru, which makes a lot less sense internally).

For my part, I don’t want to see an overly extensive standardization of things - I’ve always been an avid despise-r of the “the Eeveelutions should all just evolve via stones” idea, for example - because I feel like it would make the world too sterile and boring and robotic. I think stuff like the evolution methods for Sliggoo and Inkay and Mantyke, or breeding Phione from Manaphy+Ditto are fun details which add character to those Pokémon, and make the world feel more textured.

But yeah, I would like to see some clean-up efforts. I’m fine with ditching incenses and the Baby category. I’ve been quietly begging since 2013 for them to either add a proper Fairy type boosting item or just cut the rest and rely solely on the Plates for that function (while we’re at it, give Arceus a Fairy-type move so it can finally use Twinkle Tackle please). Nidoran♀ and Nidoran♂ should be renamed (why not Nidora and Nidoro?) now that gender differences have been more formally established , although that’s probably considered sacrilege, but I don’t care. And while we’re at it, why don’t Tauros and Miltank share that whole “eggs from one can hatch into either” gimmick that Nidora/Nidoro (try and stop me, GF) and Volbeat/Illumise have? The Alola Dex already had the audacity to group them together on the same page (but admittedly, it also did the same for Passimian and Oranguru, which makes a lot less sense internally).

Yeah I don't want a major standardization either- it's just that leafeon and glaceon pretty much evolve from rocks anyway, why not make it the ones that you carry in your pocket?

As for Nidoran/Nidoran, I'm okay if their names stayed the same but they were treated more like a Meowstic scenario and then had their gender-determined branched evolutions... I guess Nidoran F can produce male Nidorans, so they've kinda got it down, but the fact that Nidorina and Nidoqueen can't breed is extremely annoying and I would love to see it fixed.

I'd also love to see Tauros and Miltank treated more as relatives too. =<

Last edited:
I love the fact that we have Pokemon with weird or unusual evolution methods. The Shedinja case might be my favourite. It really adds more depth to the Pokemon world. However, I wouldn't mind if they would change Leafeon and Glaceon to evolve with the Leaf Stone and Ice Stone respectively.

That's mostly because of how they have to include the Moss Rock and the Ice Rock in every region. I know we have that situation with other Pokemon like Rotom's forms... but I don't know, I just feel like those other things are easier to integrate in a region without it feeling like they were obviously put there for those specific mechanics. Maybe that's just me, but the Moss Rock and the Ice Rock in every region bothers me a bit because it feels out of place.

With that said, I agree with that was said above. They really need to clean up some things. I feel like we have all sorts of items and mechanics, some of which do similar things. There is a point when adding new items, mechanics etc. stops being world building, but turns into making things unnecessarily complicated. They shouldn't simplify everything, just some things.

To me, it feels like the stones should be for alternate evos, and not the sole way some pokes evo, it just makes no sense.

I'm thinking that the game is most likely coming out in 2019. It's now mid-March. XY and SM were already revealed at this time of year. Late reveals tend to be either third versions or remakes, and I don't think that the Switch game will be either one of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom