• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because the franchise is moving to a console does not mean that there will be big changes.
So? It's not like Smash has changed at it's core as well in around 19 years. Thinking Smash will outsell Pokemon just because Pokemon hasn't changed much is just silly. Pokemon Switch will more than likely be like XY in terms of sales.

Just because the franchise is moving to a console does not mean that there will be big changes.
Well no, but it does mean that the average consumer will be interested if there is, and that was your concern, right?

Sales reports actually reveal that Pokemon has not lost popularity over the years and continues to sell more copies than Smash, so it's really no worry about competition there. Here's some numbers to look at, if you want- IR Information : Financial Data - Top Selling Title Sales Units - Nintendo 3DS Software

Pokemon obviously has far more power than people are willing to admit. Does that guarantee anything? No, but neither is doing nothing and expecting the same result.

Well no, but it does mean that the average consumer will be interested if there is, and that was your concern, right?

Sales reports actually reveal that Pokemon has not lost popularity over the years and continues to sell more copies than Smash, so it's really no worry about competition there. Here's some numbers to look at, if you want- IR Information : Financial Data - Top Selling Title Sales Units - Nintendo 3DS Software
Doesn't change the fact that everyone: the general consumer, the media, critics, and longtime fans have accused the series of being stale.

About Pokémon revealed before their respective games, these are the ones I can think of

Gen 4-Munchlax, Lucario, Bonsly, Mime Jr and Weavile
Gen 5-Zorua, Zoroark and possibly the starters
Gen 7-Magearna

Doesn't change the fact that everyone: the general consumer, the media, critics, and longtime fans have accused the series of being stale.
And doesn't change the fact that these accusations haven't plunged Pokemon's sales below Smash's sales, so the Pokemon competing with Smash concern is still a moot point. XD

I don't think that Pokemon and Smash will come out at the same time. Releasing two big titles at the same time is corporate suicide because they will end up cannibalizing each other's sales.

While a bit different, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was released late November 2014 in USA/EU, at the same time as ORAS and both games did well.
Dunno.

While a bit different, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was released late November 2014 in USA/EU, at the same time as ORAS and both games did well.
Dunno.
Well, one of them was on a handheld and that is a completely different market.

So what? It might lose a some fans that think the series has gone stale, but for the first Pokémon maingame to be on a main console- that's going to boost sales as people will be interested and check it out just for that.

Plus, there's all these rumors that things may change. There might be a new battle system, possibly a soft or hard reboot. There's no reason to be negative about it right now.

By the way, I heard MEGAS in 4chan was banned. Don't know how bad, but it seems to have happened after a supposed post about the Rebootmon pic. Talking about some Primal Red and Cyber Blue bizz.

By the way, I heard MEGAS in 4chan was banned. Don't know how bad, but it seems to have happened after a supposed post about the Rebootmon pic. Talking about some Primal Red and Cyber Blue bizz.
I don't think that the new games will be a Gen I remake. New consoles have always started with a new generation, and I don't expect that to change.

Still, pretty sure they can get along well.
I mean, nobody's suggesting here for both games to be released at the same month on Switch, but Smash can be September and Pokémon November and it would be totally plausible.

Plus, there's all these rumors that things may change. There might be a new battle system, possibly a soft or hard reboot. There's no reason to be negative about it right now.
That can potentially alienate many longtime fans and cause them to exit the series.

Oh yeah wanted to say this to you Riley. Earlier you mentioned that if the game had a battle system change, people will ditch the game and it'll fail, but now you're saying the game will fail if nothing's changed. Both arguments makes it seem like you think the game will fail either way. That's not just keeping your expectations low, that's just straight up being nihilistic.

As Jukain asked, What DO you want?

Last edited:
I said this earlier, but Mario and Zelda both released in the same year and turned out fine. Besides, both are systems sellers, if they want smash or pokemon, they're free to get both

While this is true, they weren't released at the same time.

March 2017: Zelda
October 2017: Mario

Both are big games and console sellers, but they were released 8 months apart from eachother (After Zelda was released, they could start up hyping Odyssey without interfering with the Zelda hype and sales).

Smash being announced for late 2018, has basically killed the possibility for Pokemon Switch in 2018 (Since considering FE also comes out late 2018, that would mean 3 big games in a span of 2-3 months, which is a bit much, since both Smash and Pokemon will hurt FE sales, while only one of the two not so much).

And yes, i am aware Smash and ORAS came out 2 months apart, but here is also a slight difference than with the Switch, since they didn't need too sell a system.

Last edited:
Super Smash Bros for the 3DS was released in September 2014.
Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were released in November 2014.

I don't know what difference you think a couple months makes but...

index.png
index2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom