• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways, I think the leaked flying Eeveelution is fake. (https://forums.bulbagarden.net/index.php?attachments/1520878350471-jpg.108768/ this is the one I'm talking about) Each generation of Eeveelutions has had something distinct and different from the others.
Generation 1: The elemental ruff of fur around their necks.

Generation 2- Eeveelutions no longer have 'collars' on their necks, and Espeon and Umbreon had a simple design.

Generation 4- Glaceon and leafeon have simple bodies, but with a bit more elaborate designs/appendages on their heads (Glaceon with the icicles (?) and leafeon with the leaves on head). They also have coloured 'socks'. Their design lacks Generation 1's collars and the simplicity of Generation 2.

Generation 6- Probably the most different. Sylveon appears taller than all the previous evolutions, and has ribbons and bows. It’s much more elaborate than the previous ones.

The 'leaked' one is too similar to Sylveon, and like I said, each generation's eeveelutions have a distinct style, and I doubt GameFreak would break that pattern. The stripe on the neck also looks iffy. The neck looks oddly detached from the rest of the body, and the head is too large in proportion to its feet in my opinion.

*Incineroar, Decidueye and Primarina are crying in a corner holding their respective Z-Crystals*

*The Tapu cry even harder hiding their Z-Crystals in their shells

Yeah, that slipped past. :oops: I’ll be firing my editor!

Now allow me to rephrase:

The only Gen 7 Pokémon that wasn’t an obvious candidate. The Starters having their own Z-Moves is hardly a surprise since they’re the poster children for the gen (sorry Kalos Starters, you got drowned out by the RBY trio), and the tapu are Legendaries and their Z-Power is part of the lore. No one else, not even the mascots, or the Ultra Beasts where Kukui was all “Ooooo I wonder what kinds of moves they can use!” got their own Z-Moves at first. Just this one Mythical, and you could argue that there’s no clear reason as to why it should have one before so many others.

Mythical, and you could argue that there’s no immediately obvious reason why it should have one before so many others.

Magearna's forms were planned, so giving a Z-Move would be just an extra. Marshadow would've been left with nothing aside from the green-form it gets only while attacking. A Z-Move seems the most logical thing to promote the new mythical with.

Magearna's forms were planned, so giving a Z-Move would be just an extra. Marshadow would've been left with nothing aside from the green-form it gets only while attacking. A Z-Move seems the most logical thing to promote the new mythical with.

Sure, but then, there doesn’t seem to be anything special about Zeraora. Nor was there anything special about Volcanion even after Diancie had a Mega Evolution and Hoopa had a form change. Unless you count it being Fire/Water, which is interesting, but not quite the same thing I’d say (and even if you would put Volcanion’s unique typing on the same level as a Mega Evolution or a form change, Marshadow also had a unique typing, so by that logic, that’s all it would need to seem special). Not every Mythical has a functionality gimmick, and these days they seem to exist to do little more than promote the movies and get people going to GameStop anyway.

Also, we don’t know if they ever really intended to distribute the other Magearna form. At least thus far, they seem pretty content to just leave it be in its regular Buff Klefki form.

Also-also, Marshadow wasn’t even the only event Pokémon with a special Z-Move in Gen 7. There was also Ash’s Pikachu. If they’d wanted, they could have just let it have all the Z-Move glory while leaving Marshadow in true Volcanion status.

Last edited:
I don't think that Pokemon and Smash will come out at the same time. Releasing two big titles at the same time is corporate suicide because they will end up cannibalizing each other's sales.
Oh yeah it's not like they will release zelda by march and mario by december of the same year oh wait they did do that haven't they?

@Esserise Not every Mystical has to have a gimmick, but most mythicals these days seem to have one. Both Volcanion and Zeraora are late-generation Mythicals, which do not seem to serve a huge purpose other than tide us over till the next generation releases.

A Mythical does not need to have a gimmick, but a gimmick helps in marketing.

Not to mention Mew got a Z-Move out of nowhere, and it would seem strange if they were not promoting Z-Moves with a Pokemon of the 7th generation.

It seems weird that Zeraora has nothing notable about it, but that seems like a different topic. (I think Zeraora will get something with the Switch games).

Not to mention Mew got a Z-Move out of nowhere, and it would seem strange if they were not promoting Z-Moves with a Pokemon of the 7th generation.

Mew is Gen 1, and Gen 1 got preferential treatment for Z-Move distribution. I don’t think that one is as “out of nowhere” as it seems, or at least no more questionable than Snorlax getting one. Logically, it makes perfect sense - Mew has always touted the ability to use any kind of move, so it stands to reason that it should be able to use a Z-Move.

If they thought it would seem strange to not promote Z-Moves using Gen 7 Pokémon, then that kinda just returns us to my original point - that they were already in strange territory by giving Marshadow its own Z-Move before candidates like the mascots of the games, or the Ultra Beasts. The problem isn’t so much that Marshadow got one, but why did this standalone Pokémon get one without several of the other, more noteworthy, more involved new Pokémon receiving their own first?

(And that is a rhetorical question - I already know why, as I explained in my original post. It’s because Marshadow’s whole deal is to be a kind of Z-Move prodigy, which ties into the point I was making, that the term “zenith,” in its case, refers solely to Z-Moves, with no connection to the celestial meaning of the word.)

But at the end of the day, it’s not like it’s uncommon for Game Freak to throw weird curveballs at us.

Last edited:
Mew is Gen 1, and Gen 1 got preferential treatment for Z-Move distribution. I don’t think that one is as “out of nowhere” as it seems, or at least no more questionable than Snorlax getting one. Logically, it makes perfect sense - Mew has always touted the ability to use any kind of move, so it stands to reason that it should be able to use a Z-Move.
Then shouldn’t it be able to use all the signature moves, and the signature Z-Moves?

I think Marshadow getting a Z-Move was just a promotion tactic. Z-Moves for Solgaleo and Lunala were planned, since they got released in USUM. I think they were left for USUM/possible Switch port for SM which got scrapped as an incentive to get people to buy the games, since people would be buying SM anyway and they needed every incentive they could to get the audience to buy USUM which are not that different from SM.

Smash being announced for late 2018, has basically killed the possibility for Pokemon Switch in 2018 (Since considering FE also comes out late 2018, that would mean 3 big games in a span of 2-3 months, which is a bit much, since both Smash and Pokemon will hurt FE sales, while only one of the two not so much).

And yes, i am aware Smash and ORAS came out 2 months apart, but here is also a slight difference than with the Switch, since they didn't need too sell a system.

-Smash started development in 2014 and likely had its release date pegged before this year, it changes nothing for Pokémon as Nintendo certainly knew both were in development. Same with FE for that matter.

-FE, Pokémon, and Smash appeal to different audiences.

-We had multiple major Switch games release across the year such as Splatoon 2, ARMs, Odyssey, BotW, Mario + Rabbids, Xenoblade 2, Pokken DX, Mario Kart DX, and so on, most of them only having a month between each other. None of them cannibalized the other, and in fact most enjoyed huge successes with Xenoblade 2 being the series first million seller, Splatoon 2 having ridiculous legs, BotW being the most successful Zelda since OoT, and so on. If Pokemon, FE, and Smash released this year they likely wouldn't hurt each others' sales, in fact history shows it'd be the opposite.

-Even ignoring that, the fact that ORAS and Smash 3DS exist as examples show that having both within the same year wouldn't end in tears for either franchises.

Smash (and FE) means nothing, the only thing it shows is that Nintendo wants two holiday titles this year to move Switch systems.

Then shouldn’t it be able to use all the signature moves, and the signature Z-Moves?

If you’re pedantic about it, yeah, but Mew hasn’t actually been able to use every move for several generations now. The general idea of it having an incredibly versatile movepool is still there, though, and Z-Moves are a kind of move that aren’t particularly restricted, so it makes sense for Mew to have one.

I think Marshadow getting a Z-Move was just a promotion tactic. Z-Moves for Solgaleo and Lunala were planned, since they got released in USUM. I think they were left for USUM/possible Switch port for SM which got scrapped as an incentive to get people to buy the games, since people would be buying SM anyway and they needed every incentive they could to get the audience to buy USUM which are not that different from SM.

Which is fine speculation, but this entire tangent we’ve been on is rather beside the whole point I was making. I was simply explaining that “zenith,” in Marshadow’s case, refers to it using its full power and being themed around Z-Moves, rather than having any celestial significance. The sheer fact that “zenith” can refer to a celestial event isn’t relevant to the use of the word in regards to Marshadow. S’all I was saying.

plus the fact game freak will release the game when it's ready and nintendo can't do anything about it, i mean they can force game game to release few days after but that's about it.

At least it has an event only move in Hurricane so it’s more useful than one without lol. This is fairly decent honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom