• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's not Detective Pikachu that's in the way really. It'll release and everything will be fine. What I could see as a problem is if Spiky Chunsoft really does announce a PMD game. And that's especially if it's released for the Switch. It's one thing to release something like Smash and a main series Pokemon game around the same time as they're very different games that aren't technically under the same franchise (well sort of), but if they plan to release a PMD game sometime this year that would get pretty eaten up by a main series game coming out this year too. Even if it comes earlier they likely wouldn't want to risk it getting pushed to the side by a main series game. Sure the're an audience that would play both, but there are also many that would go to the main series game first rather than play the PMD game. Nothing is impossible, but we will just have to see what happens.

It's just gonna be Pokken stuff, It's just gonna be Pokken stuff, It's just gonna be Pokken stuff....

Me trying to convince myself that Saturday will be nothing.

Yeah it's not Detective Pikachu that's in the way really. It'll release and everything will be fine. What I could see as a problem is if Spiky Chunsoft really does announce a PMD game. And that's especially if it's released for the Switch. It's one thing to release something like Smash and a main series Pokemon game around the same time as they're very different games that aren't technically under the same franchise (well sort of), but if they plan to release a PMD game sometime this year that would get pretty eaten up by a main series game coming out this year too. Even if it comes earlier they likely wouldn't want to risk it getting pushed to the side by a main series game. Sure the're an audience that would play both, but there are also many that would go to the main series game first rather than play the PMD game. Nothing is impossible, but we will just have to see what happens.
I don't see how PMD would pose a problem, though. I don't think PMD makes quite as much sales as the core games so it seems like it'd be the smarter thing if they bowed out and waited until next year, rather than pushing the main games to move their intended release date for it. Game Freak wouldn't benefit from that move- granted, neither would Spiky Chunsoft, but I'd think the originators of the franchise would get a degree of favoritism there. Plus if Nintendo wants to sell more Switches, they'd probably want to push out their incentives earlier on in the product life cycle where they can accelerate growth- aka push the big sellers out sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
I don't see how PMD would pose a problem, though. I don't think PMD makes quite as much sales as the core games so it seems like it'd be the smarter thing if they bowed out and waited until next year, rather than pushing the main games to move their intended release date for it. Game Freak wouldn't benefit from that move- granted, neither would Spiky Chunsoft, but I'd think the originators of the franchise would get a degree of favoritism there. Plus if Nintendo wants to sell more Switches, they'd probably want to push out their incentives earlier on in the product life cycle where they can accelerate growth- aka push the big sellers out sooner rather than later.

While Smash, FE Switch and one pokemon game (be it PMD or main series) could easily come out late this year, Smash, FE Switch and two Pokémon games seems very unlikely, especially if they’re all for the same console.

Plus, the last time we got a PMD game, we didn’t get a main series game until the next holiday season

If they announce PMD then I see little point in throwing out the core game just a few months later.
It'll devour it completely.

I don't think that a main series game and a MD game will come out at the same time. This is because the main series game will eat into the MD game's sales and I don't think that Spike Chunsoft wants that.

If a PMD game gets announced that says a lot about what they plan to do for this year. If one does in fact get released this year it pretty much means they don't intend to release the main series game. We will likely get info on the new main series game this year, but the actual launch date would in my opinion be on the other side of the new year. That way they can focus on PMD this holiday and then release the main series game in the Spring. PMD needs the holiday season more than the main series so it kind of makes sense if you ask me. Also If a PMD game comes out this year then that will help sell Switch units in preparation for the main series game to come out in early 2019. Of course again nothing says we absolutely have to have a PMD game come out this year. They may choose not to even do one for gen 7.

I don't think that a main series game and a MD game will come out at the same time. This is because the main series game will eat into the MD game's sales and I don't think that Spike Chunsoft wants that.

I agree with Riley on this one, I believe they would save a PMD for a gap year like 2015.
Although in Europe it came out in 2016 this was February so didn't really clash with SM in November.

Out of curiosity why are people talking about a possible PMD release has there been hints?

I agree with Riley on this one, I believe they would save a PMD for a gap year like 2015.
Although in Europe it came out in 2016 this was February so didn't really clash with SM in November.

Out of curiosity why are people talking about a possible PMD release has there been hints?

There's supposed to be an announcement on 23 March by Spike Chunsoft, where they're going to reveal 4 games, including one game for the switch. So people are speculating that the Switch game might end up being PMD.

While Smash, FE Switch and one pokemon game (be it PMD or main series) could easily come out late this year, Smash, FE Switch and two Pokémon games seems very unlikely, especially if they’re all for the same console.

Plus, the last time we got a PMD game, we didn’t get a main series game until the next holiday season

We didn't have an immediate intended release date for a main series game that time, though, did we?

The way I see it, Nintendo wants to sell Switches. Now, I'm drawing upon a weak recollection of my marketing classes here, but generally you want to get most of your sales early on in a product's life. They made a strong start with Breath of the Wild and they'll want to keep that momentum going and make the system look like it has a lot going for it. Several big titles such as Smash, Fire Emblem and a core Pokemon game are big sellers for Nintendo. Releasing these games at once isn't really a big problem because it makes the Switch look hot and like something that people must have.

But releasing more than one Pokemon game at a time might be. The thing is- does Nintendo seem to care? We're looking to get two games in one year at the moment regardless, considering Detective Pikachu, so I'm willing to bet that the number of damns Nintendo gives that a Pokemon game might eat up another is pretty low.

So with that in mind...
Does Nintendo have a problem if PMD releases? Probably not.
Does Game Freak have a problem if PMD releases? No.
Does Spike Chunsoft have a problem if a core series game releases? Maybe... but is that really Nintendo's problem or Spike Chunsoft's?

Also If a PMD game comes out this year then that will help sell Switch units in preparation for the main series game to come out in early 2019.
I also kinda have to argue the opposite here. PMD would benefit more from a core game releasing first rather than the other way around- PMD doesn't make as many sales as a core game does. If the core games come out first, that's more people who already have a Switch who might be willing to pick up a PMD game when it releases later.

And I wouldn't be too quick to believe the arrest story.

If this is all taking place in China(which I'm assuming it is), then I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he is gonna get arrested. Leaking confidential things is illegal in most countries anyways, and in China you can get arrested for even posting your opinion online about a political figure. I'm not even joking.

Tbh i will take PMD over main series this year, it will also give more time to game freak to make the game look better.
also pmd on the switch will looks crazy good so i'm hyped.

Oriden said:
The thing is- does Nintendo seem to care? We're looking to get two games in one year at the moment regardless, considering Detective Pikachu, so I'm willing to bet that the number of damns Nintendo gives that a Pokemon game might eat up another is pretty low.
What is this based on? Spin-off games are rarely released close (within 5 months) to main series ones. In fact, I believe that the only exceptions involve different systems. The year itself doesn't matter if the gap is still long enough for the marketing periods to be separate.

What is this based on? Spin-off games are rarely released close (within 5 months) to main series ones. In fact, I believe that the only exceptions involve different systems. The year itself doesn't matter if the gap is still long enough for the marketing periods to be separate.
Based on the assumption that we're getting Detective Pikachu and another game (be it PMD or a core game) this year, but I guess the months might make a difference? Still, if I was Nintendo- I'd put the core game first so PMD could benefit, because I don't think PMD is enough to sell many consoles but a core game would be.

I also kinda have to argue the opposite here. PMD would benefit more from a core game releasing first rather than the other way around- PMD doesn't make as many sales as a core game does. If the core games come out first, that's more people who already have a Switch who might be willing to pick up a PMD game when it releases later.
This right here.

I don't see a PMD title being successful this year, since the target audience might not have a switch yet and I dont think PMD is a system seller.

Based on the assumption that we're getting Detective Pikachu and another game (be it PMD or a core game) this year, but I guess the months might make a difference? Still, if I was Nintendo- I'd put the core game first so PMD could benefit, because I don't think PMD is enough to sell many consoles but a core game would be.

True. But it also depends on when Smash or FE actually releases, since imo, they need 2 months apart at least too not interfere with eachothers hype and sales (In a perfect world FE releases first, since Smash will overshadow their sales big time).

Same will happen with Pokemon Switch. It has to be at least 2 months apart from Smash and FE (But especially Smash).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom