• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation I Virtual Console games to be compatible with Bank: Allows Pokémon to be sent to ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Generation I Virtual Console games to be compatible with Bank: Allows Pokémon to be sent to ...

The Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console versions of the Generation I core series games will be able to send Pokémon to Pokémon Bank, which can then be transferred to Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Continue reading...

Where is it confirmed that they can't be moved to Generation VI?

Where is it confirmed that they can't be moved to Generation VI?
On the official site

Note that Pokémon cannot be moved directly from Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow to Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire,Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank.

I notice the use of the word "Directly"...

Is Pokemon Bank trading going to be compatible two way between Gen 6 and 7, I wonder?

Probably not... but they did use the word "Directly".
The wording implies that it's one-way.
Once Pokémon Bank has been updated, you'll be able to use it to transfer Pokémon you've caught in the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console versions ofPokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow into your copy of Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon. Pokémon from Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y can also be brought into Pokémon Sunand Pokémon Moon in the same way.

Pokémon from Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y can also be brought into Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon in the same way.

This is curious. "In the same way"

I would venture a guess that Pokemon Transporter would be used to move Red, Blue and Yellow's pokemon forward to Gen 7... But Gen 6 can already access Pokemon Bank normally.

I see one of three things happening then.

1) Gen 6 will remain compatible with Pokemon Bank and anything in the Bank that does not know Gen 7 exclusives, is not a Gen 7 Pokemon, etc can be transfered back to XYORAS. (Similar to the time capsule in Gold and Silver)

2) Gen 6 will be locked out of the Pokemon Bank system, and from then on we'll have to use Transporter to move Pokemon from XYORAS.

3) Gen 6 will still be allowed to access Pokemon Bank, but anything marked as touching a Gen 7 game will be hidden from XYORAS.

Chances are I'm probably over thinking this and I'll just work the same way it's worked for the past few generations. :\

Strange, I wonder why it's possible to go from RBY to Sun/Moon, but not from RBY to XY/ORAS?

Is it possible the software for converting a Gen I format Pokémon to post-Gen III format exists on Sun/Moon, but could not exist on Bank? And if not, why not...?

I would've thought that Bank had permanently solved the "one way trip" issue, as it allows for any compatible game to withdraw and deposit Pokémon at the player's leisure, and it doesn't really matter what game they've been to beforehand, but this announcement doesn't really jive with that. It suggests they're planning to upgrade Pokémon formatting in some way that XY/ORAS won't recognise.

Unless, and this is speculation, you can get a RBY Pokémon onto XY/ORAS games, but only after it's been properly converted on Sun/Moon. The site does specify that you can't move Pokémon "directly" to XY/ORAS from RBY. Perhaps they mean they have to take a detour to Sun/Moon to be converted to post-Gen-III format first?

Last edited:
Strange, I wonder why it's possible to go from RBY to Sun/Moon, but not from RBY to XY/ORAS?

Is it possible the software for converting a Gen I format Pokémon to post-Gen III format exists on Sun/Moon, but could not exist on Bank? And if not, why not...?
I'd assume the reason is as simple as "creating incentive to buy the new games". That and they might want to do something with regards to things that don't exist in Gen I, namely abilities. Perhaps Game Freak wants to avoid Fissure + No Guard Machamp, and will create "Retro" Abilities for all the Pokemon that come from those games. While I expect these Retro Abilities to pass through breeding, Fissure won't because it is no longer a TM (and TMs don't pass through breeding anymore anyways) and isn't in Machop's natural moveset.

EDIT: Anyone else concerned how HM Moves will be handled in this situation? We don't have a move deleter, and I don't want my Yellow Starters to not be able to come over.

Last edited:
I guess it's fine. Everything is basically available in Gen VI alone. There probably won't be many (or any) Gen I Pokémon in Sun & Moon themselves.

I'd love it if they gave the Virtual Console Pokemon unique attributes. A few useful TMs (due to abilities) just aren't enough.
I'm expecting a special Ribbon, and that's about it. It's possible they specifically get certain Abilities (e.g. Hidden Abilities), but my guess is that it's just a standard Ability (which you could change via Ability Capsule if necessary).

I'd love it if they gave the Virtual Console Pokemon unique attributes. A few useful TMs (due to abilities) just aren't enough.
Hidden Abilities and a ribbon are about all I can see happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom