• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation III

The "bashing" of Generation III is a general trend I have noticed ever since I joined the online Pokémon community, however it's questionable whether it is really justifiable.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

Generation III is, in my opinion, the second best generation, after Generation IV. It was the first gen to have good graphics, the first with decent sprites, the first with a decent plot...

Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

Yes I agree with this. Hoenn was a great location, it had varied areas and it introduced double battles. There are reasons why I like it and why I see others dont (I'd like to defend RS too):

The Pokemon: Its strange isn't it? You wait and wait to see what new pokemon appear, but when they come, you still want rattata and pidgy on routes (which your sick of seeing on routes when they are there as they appear too often!). IMO it was a better way to have mostly new pokemon in RS, it gave you something different and allowed you to get to know your new pokemon. There was still a few Gen I and II pokemon around...Pikachu, rhyhorn, Doduro/Drio, Oddish etc.. (safari zone), Geodude/Graveler, Machop, Slugma/Magcargo, Tentacool/cruel, Magikarp/Garaydos, Staryu etc... so you were not stuck on only Gen III pokemon, but in early routes, only Gen III pokemon mostly, besides one or two Gen I pokemon.

Too many water routes: Yes there is a lot of water routes, but on quite a few, your not forced to use them. Its an Island, what do you expect, no water at all? It wasn't that bad, you could dive and explore under water, something you couldn't do previous. Also diving let you explore new locations like underwater caves and let you access some areas you couldn't without dive, such as sootopolis and one or two other areas. Wish diving had stayed in Gen IV.

The locations like mt Pyre were good, as was the weather effects (thunder and heavy rain while your walking along some routes. Also like the way when you got near the volcano (forget its name) in Verdenturf, you could walk around and collect falling ash for flutes, that was different, but these differences/additions are what make the games good.

Gen III introduced: Swarms and Berries, which Swarms at least were welcome in Gen IV. Also not everyone liked contests, but they were good sometimes. Also the Battle Frontier was introduced here which IMO and quite a few others, it was very good and better than the one in Platinum/HGSS. Different bikes (Mach or Acro..I think Acro) and this was interesting as depending on which one you had, you could get to different areas...it was annoying using the Mach bike to get to Rayquaza in Sky Pillar, but it was fun none the less.

Graphics/animations: I liked the graphics, simple yet appealing. Even the battle graphics and animations were good IMO. I liked the psychic move animation with the purple effects.

Battles: Introduced Double Battles and pokemon that could use them (Minun and Pluse) and twin gym leaders that used this style with lunatone/solrock and moves such as helping hand. Also battles were slightly faster than Gen IV battles.

Evil Team: Was the first (And still is) the only gen to introduce two different bad teams (aqua/magma) depending on what game you had, and in Emerald, both storylines were used. I liked this as it gave variety somewhat.

Specific things: The games did introduce rare, but not impossible to find things such as Mirage Island and Feebas. A bit annoying, but I did like this, still havn't found Mirage Island on my Sapphire Game.

Overall: To much change for people, people were too used to their Kanto and Gen I pokemon as it did appear in all games proir to RS. I still am sticking to my guns when I say, if RS was remaked in Gen V, they will be the best games to date if they are redone how GS was redone in HGSS.

I enjoyed Sapphire a lot when I got it around the time it was released. Awesome games. The region was nice, and I liked almost all of the pokemon.
The graphics were a major step up from I and II.
I can still stand playing the Gen III games today, unlike the older generations. I still miss Sapphire, actually. Can't find it.

Also, some of the best Pokemon music ever made came from Gen III. In my opinion, R/S/E music > D/P/Pt.

Although I enjoyed Ruby a lot, have to say Platinum's plot and storyline were quite better, but Hoenn gets my vote overall for the music and especially the Pokemon. DP was a waste if you ask me.

Gen III is my favourite one. Especially Emerald. I replay again and again even today. The Battle Frontier was the greatest addition to the game

I think the Hoenn region is almost my favorite. Though my favorite pokemon now are mostly kanto and some johto pokemon, I still like Hoenn. It had awesome music, a pretty good try at better graphics, and overall good.
I think Sinnoh kind of failed, though, and those are my least favorite pokemon. Though I still like a few of them, I think Pokemon was running out of good ideas in gen IV.

For great truth. As much as Johto brings on the nostalgia for me, Gen III was a huge step forward for the series.

The big thing that hit me in HGSS was Bill's phone number. There's little point to it now but it was used as a feature in the originals to dance around the fact that the old box system sucked. The games can harp on about how great a programmer Bill is but Lanette really does not get enough credit for actually making it user friendly.

GS stayed too close to the originals. RS took a risk and produced a fresh experience. Whenever this happens, there will be fans who can't let go to the old. Hopefully, they at least liked FireRed and Leaf Green and appreciated that DP wasn't quite as dramatic a restart. But RS is always going to be underappreciated for what it actually did.

I have a bit of an attachment to Generation III, as it's the generation that brought me back to Pokémon after a hiatus of about a year and a half. And when I did return, I found that the gameplay and the storyline had improved significantly while I'd been gone, and that the 135 new Pokémon they'd introduced were really really interesting. Though I did get FireRed for Christmas 2004, my first true GenIII game was Emerald in May 2005 - and it blew me away. The Aqua/Magma storyline was more in-depth than anything the game had done before, with more of a sense of danger and excitement than anything from the first two generations. And the improvements in battle mechanics, qualities of berries, the ability to rematch trainers at will, the skills of certain Pokémon - it all made for a very enriching gaming experience. I can't knock Generation III; it was a huge step forward for Pokémon as a whole.

In fact, I may just get out my Emerald game this weekend and start playing it again. Last time I left off, I was about to take on the Elite Four - I think it's high time I finished what I started.

Hmmm...we got a remake of G/S/C, and now people are praising the third gen. I wonder why that is? That being said, yes, I do believe the third gen got a lot of unnecessary hate, but I say that about everything the fans complain about. Makes me wonder if there was any real reason for this hate. Above all, I think the removal of trade with previous generations is the culprit. Everyone had to start over after their countless hours on R/B/Y and G/S/C. This was due to the retooling necessary to facilitate more pokemon and the new EV system. Thankfully, this probably won't have to happen ever again. This is the only real complaint I ever hear about. All the rest are fairly superficial. This began the fandom's slow decline to what it is now, a bunch of people unsatisfied with whatever Gamefreak comes up with, no matter what it is. Ru/Sa remake? It will happen, I'm sure, but it will not be as hyped as HG/SS was, and even less accepted. (And I say this knowing HG/SS is accused of ruining G/S/C forever by some people, so that's saying a lot) Ever since Ru/Sa was released, I walked amongst the fandom, feeling alone for liking the third gen. Some came to concede Emerald was good, but that was never enough for me. I know that most still hated it, and this hurt will always linger. So pardon me if I seem harsh, but I cannot be convinced so many people would support a remake, even if it could be as good as HG/SS is.

I agree with all of this.

I played Emerald, but my first game was Gold. And you know what? I preferred Emerald to Gold, hell it still holds up to Platinum and HGSS to me. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of compatibility, day and night, etc., but we had to move away from that old ass archaic system that was set in Gen I and continued in Gen II. The fad was over, it was never and will never achieve that popularity that it once had, and we had to move on.

Imagine if Hoenn or Sinnoh was just next door to Johto, had loads of Kanto Pokemon, Team Rocket again, and loads of Kanto Pokemon in Gyms? That doesn't force you to be progressive and give the new Pokemon a chance, it forces you to stick to your old ways and not try anything new. Then the generation preceding that abandons this and moves on and forces you to use new Pokemon. Of course some people will miss the old ones, of course some people will long for the days, and of course some people will leave. But we had to move forward, we had to get NEW fans, we had to grow.

Now I'm rambling, but I just want to say that what Gen III did had to be done, and set the tone for DPPt, HGSS, BW, and so on.

I do not agree with this. Gen III almost killed my interest in Pokemon until just recently when I decided to pick up Platinum for old times sake. Gen III was just so bland with their blatant copies of Gen I pokemon (Beautyfly? Really?) and I'm not ashamed to admit that I was severely sour about not being able to transfer my Gen I and II Pokemon over. Also Hoenn really (for me at least) lacked the soul that Kanto and Johto had.

Although I will admit Generation 3 made a lot of updates to the battle system, and how much fun Hoen was to explore, it is still my least favorite.

Ruby and Sapphire had a ton of new pokemon to catch, but none of the old ones I loved having, and after beating the elite four there really wasn't anything else I wanted to do. The battle tower and contests annoy me.

FireRed and LeafGreen had all the old pokemon I wanted but none of the new ones I'd finnally grown to like, no time so I couldn't get umbreon, and no use for berries. I do like exploring the sevii Islands.

Emerald had the battle frontier and ditto so I liked it much more then the others.

Although Generation 4's only change to the battle system was the physical/special split that had a huge impact. It also introduced a ton of great new moves and and items that affected battle.

-Online battling also got me into competitive battling a little so I spend more time training instead of restarting the game when I get bored.
-Online trading made it possible for an average person to really beat the game. -Event distribution was made reasonable.

The three things that really sold Gen. 4 to me was the amount of pokemon you could get in any of the games, exploring the sinnoh region, and all the post elit 4 content.

you could get around 350 pokemon in any given game with nothing but the game and a DS.

Gen four may be Gen 3+ but that is a much appreciated plus.

Generation 3 was the best and you know it so STHU.

Of course some people will miss the old ones, of course some people will long for the days, and of course some people will leave. But we had to move forward, we had to get NEW fans, we had to grow.

You act as if it's impossible for old fans to like new pokemon, which is a blatant lie.

You act as if it's impossible for old fans to like new pokemon, which is a blatant lie.

I know I did. The first game I played was silver. I like sappire and emerald much better. The fact that there were a lot more new pokemon instead of mostly knato pokemon was more impressive to me. I mean, just look at mudkipz. Who doesn't liek them?

Best. Generation. Ever.

As a generation as a whole, Gen 3 is my 2nd favourite. What my biggest gripe with the games was Hoenn. It wasn't that good of a region, there was too many water routes, pointless locations like the Mossdeep Space Centre (had no ingame relevance at all), lame Pokemon, and a very bad storyline, one which if you played Sapphire doesn't make sense, (how does a volcano erupting expand the seas, surely it would make more land as in Ruby and Emerald.) But this does not take away from the fact that Gen 3 as a whole did a lot for the series in terms of game mechanics, also the above ground secret bases really need to be brought back, much better than Underground bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom