• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

I don't really mind Generation III, but it's my least favorite Gen. If they were to remake Generation III it would kind of bother me, but not that much since I'd still get the game anyway. Something that would make me happy with the game itself as well as getting it would be a Hoenn Sequel where you go through Hoenn three years after and end up battling Brendan or Wally (or both) and May is the Professor or something. (Insert someone saying a sexual remark about May here)

Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

My experiences with Gen III:

Like most kids, I attended a summer camp.

However; I live in NYC, so a majority of my fellow campers were depressed upper middle class twits shoved in a summer camp because its hours correlated with the opening and closing of the Stock Exchange.

Instead of participating in the lame camp activities they forced on us in-between trips to Museum of Natural History and the Aquarium, we'd sit around playing Game Boy [and later, Game Boy Advance].

Everyone owned Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal.

There was a small cafe in the lobby of the building. Under the pretense of “getting a soda” my friends and I would sneak into the cafe, claim a few seats, and engage in epic Pokemon battles.

Despite being a casual gamer, I have many fond memories of link cable tournaments, trading Pokemon, and sharing numerous “Missingno.” urban legends. [lol, anyone remember Pikablu?]

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire came out when I was ten years old.

Unlike Generation I and II, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire were shunned.

Many of my camp friends had imported the games from Japan [corresponding with their exclusive imported GBA's, no doubt] – yet I easily beat their teams in link-cable battles because everyone seemed to have abandoned the game once they reached Mossdeep City/Sootopolis City.

Following the crowd, I moved on to Yu-Gi-Oh.

-----

Looking back, my main issue with Generation III was the unfamiliar Region/Pokemon and tedious game-play [dear G*d, the water routes!].

Instead of a new Pokemon game that introduced innovative elements, it felt like a knock-off Pokemon game with decent graphics and a slightly better battle system.

However; wherever Game Freak went wrong in Generation III, they certainly went right in Generation VI!

[corresponding with their exclusive imported GBA's, no doubt]

Too true. Say what you will about Gen III, there were some wonderful Pokemon-themed GBA units released in Japanese Pokemon Centers. :cheers:

Not having played any of the games, I'd think my words would be of little value, but I must state that if there's something wrong about Gen III, its how they handled access to Ho-Oh and Lugia.

Seriously, if you only had the GBA and the GBA titles, you need an event item. Seriously, why do they need to be only accessible by events? They weren't event Pokemon in Gen II!

Only GBA-Gamecube owners were lucky, as they could at least rent Collesium and XD to get Ho-Oh and Lugia there. Still, it shouldn't have taken another generation to make them catchable on handhelds without events. And thankfully, they didn't wall off the Weather trio as triggered by some event item.

Gen III was my favorite. I grew up taking it to school to trade with peers. I played Sapphire and my two best friends had Ruby and Emerald so it was very convenient.

I've played all the games. My favorites are R/S/E. I can't stand D/P/Pt. They're too boring. If you mixed Team Rocket and Team Aqua/Magma, you'd get Galactic. There was nothing new. Half the Pokemon were extra-evolutions of old ones.

Hoenn had some great water routes. It's music was great. It had the best graphics at the time. There was much more to do.

I hate it when people complain about events in Hoenn. There were 6 legendaries to catch in each Ruby and Sapphire. There were two events: Deoxys and Jirachi. Look at all the events required for D/P/Pt. That's not even close to an argument.

(how does a volcano erupting expand the seas

From what I remember in Sapphire, Team Aqua were trying to make the volcano extinct, so that they could fill it with water. But still pretty bizzare nonetheless.:-/

I thought Gen III was okay, I certainly don't have any complaints for it. If I had any complaints for any of the handhelds, it'd be that G/S/C and HG/SS didn't have much of a main storyline like R/B/Y, R/S/E, and D/P/Pt. But other than that... I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to these games.

As for the overall bashing? If people are gonna be bashing anything, at least have a legit reason to do it, instead of "zomg Gen *instert Gen here* was the worst one ever, because I'm so hardcore with the older/newer games and it completely ruined the whole Pokemon franchise for me!!!111" Personally, I think bashing of anything isn't the real mature way to go if you're gonna complain about something.

I liked gen III mainly for the graphics, the fast gameplay, and the awesome music.

I hate it when people complain about events in Hoenn. There were 6 legendaries to catch in each Ruby and Sapphire. There were two events: Deoxys and Jirachi. Look at all the events required for D/P/Pt. That's not even close to an argument.

Ruby and Sapphire had virtually no events. Only the Eon Ticket for Latios or Latias, depending on your version. The other Gen III games had all the events, with Emerald having the most.

The advantage to Gen IV's events is that they're easier to get, for the most part.

My only gripes with Ruby and Sapphire was the lack of things to do after the elite 4 and the fact that the rivals sucked. But other than that it was a great generation. I wasn't bothered by the lack of comparability between Gen III and the previous Gens because by the time i got Ruby Version(which was a long time after it was released) i no longer had my gameboy color or any of my old pokemon games for it, so i never even tried it.

Yeah, my favorite Generation is Gen II, and i will admit i am biased since my first game was gold and i replayed Silver version so many times when i was a kid that i remember every trainer's pokemon and levels in the Johto Region and in Victory Road and know the entire soundtrack by heart.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Generation III introduced Zangoose, which replaced Marowak & Bulbasaur & Dragonite as my favorite pokemon (i could never decide between those 3 before). When i first saw Zangoose in Ruby version it was like love at first sight.

Last edited:

I acually love Gen III: It's where I started off gamewise! I grew up with the weather trio, the Regis, and the wishmaker. I'd j**z my pants if they were remade for the 3DS!!!!!

Seriously, those who complain about lack of things to do after E4, play Emerald. Its a major improvement. The Battle Frontier takes longer to complete than the rest of the game.(Atleast for me)

Gen III was excellent in my opinion. I bought Ruby and Sapphire and played both games many times.

Gen III also has some of my favorite pokemon: Mudkip, Castform, Absol, Tropius. The game itself was lackluster I admit (even for a Pokemon game), but I think Gen III has many of the most creative Pokemon.

Personally I'd love to see a Gen III remake for the same reason I was excited for the Gen II remakes, I missed them the first time.

I played the original Gen I way back in the day, then didn't play again until D/P came out so I missed a good portion of the overall Pokemon story.

Okay seriously wtf is with all these editorials lately?!? It's kind of getting annoying!

Having said that, i do agree with the writer. I dont think third gen gets enough love really, and people who bash it often (but not always) do it for silly reasons. "oh i couldnt migrate my gen 2 pokemon waaah!!" and so on. D:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I was severely sour about not being able to transfer my Gen I and II Pokemon over.
WHY DOES THIS BOTHER EVERYONE SERIOUSLY
Don't you guys like natures, abilities, ribbons, and keeping the Pokerus status forever D:

Last edited:

Would you rather have incredibily buggy game-coding and having gender/shininess be determined by IVs alone? Do you want to use monsters that have maxmimum IVs of only 15 against monsters that can have double that?

Also, while it's possible for a 16-bit character to exist on a 32-bit "enviroment", it's impossible for the opposite. Thus your Time-capsule idea would be impossible.
Now that you say that I realize that they actually updated the graphics and how hard it would be to transfer Pokemon from those two completely different games. I guess people just needed to learn to move on and live with the new games. At least it gives you an excuse to keep your Pokemon on your older versions as well, and you can keep your team together.

WHY DOES THIS BOTHER EVERYONE SERIOUSLY
Don't you guys like natures, abilities, ribbons, and keeping the Pokerus status forever D:

It's called spending hours leveling up to 100.

Of course a level 100 Pokemon would be useless until defeating the final Gym Leader, anyway... so ultimately, what's the point? By the time you've done that, a significant amount of time has already been invested in your current team.

I've tried running Red and Yellow on two GBA units connected with the old Universal Link Cable (the cable with a Y-split on one end, to connect either 2 GB Pockets, 2 GB Colors, or 1 original GB and 1 Pocket or Color), and they communicate properly. Had the stats system not been changed, it probably would've been possible for GF to include trading compatibility between the first two generations and the third... provided you used the Universal Link Cable (that being necessary, because that's all the old Generations supported). The Gen III game could've been programmed to simluate the communication style of the previous games.

It would've been pointless, though, as the stats system we have now is far superior. And it was better implemented in Gen III and IV.

Last edited:

But really how useful is that in third gen? Its not like you can use them until the end of the game anyways... and if you're worried about preservation, get Pokemon Stadium 2 or something seriously :p

You guys missed the point. People put hours and hours into training these pokemon. They liked them, they were favorites. They wanted to continue using them against their friends because they liked these pokemon so much

So to have them permanently stuck on games with a countdown to death was kinda frustrating.

As I started from Gen III, I do agree wit this editorial. Give Gen III some more credit.

But on the other hand, I do understand the feelings of people who wanted to transfer their old pokemon. Imagine, if you had been able to trade with GSC, you could have a level 100 Charizard which you trained in Pokémon Red, sitting in HeartGold. The feeling of it all would be amazing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom