• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV: A look back: An inspection of the now three-year-old fourth generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Generation IV: A look back: An inspection of the now three-year-old fourth genera

Aww. It sucks to see my favorite generation coming to a close.

The DPPt series felt so vibrant and mysterious to me. They added so many new aspects to the game such as the physical/special split and the Poketch.
The storyline was much more developed than those of the previous games and I was amazed at how improved the plot was in Platinum. Team Galactic actually felt like a threat to the Pokemon World to me. If you didn't stop them they would've destroyed the world. No team has ever been able to do that. TG also was the closest to accomplishing their goal.
I was glad that they kept the contests. It keeps me occupied when I'm bored. The only thing I wasn't too happy about was that they got rid of jamming Dammit! I wanted to screw over other Pokemon! I was okay with the dancing, It was pretty fun, though dressing up Pokemon did seem kind of pointless.
And I for one loved Sinnos's Pokemon. Sure, they could've made less evos/pre-vos of Pokemon but it was pretty nice for me. My favorite's were Tangrowth, Frosslass, and Gallade. And I loved the amount of Legendaries in Sinnoh. It gave us more variety and made things more interesting.
I also liked the characters a lot, as well. Though Dawn is my favorite, I like how they tied quite a few characters in the plot, especially Cynthia.

That being said, Platinum was by far my favorite game ever. :D

Re: Generation IV: A look back: An inspection of the now three-year-old fourth genera

I actually stopped paying attention to Pokemon at the onset of the Diamond and Pearl games. I think was late to buy the initial game, played it a little, and then put it down for 2-and-a-half years.

To this day, I'm still not using the online function, haven't been to any events, gotten any secret Pokemon, or had reason to get excited. Most of my experience has been playing catch-up. The characters aren't as memorable to me as past ones might have been. The region feels weird and so do the Pokemon. I still haven't played Platinum. All in all, there were many attributes of this generation that put me off at first.

But I did enjoy how they went about adjusting things, like they do every region. They basically built upon the Generation 3 foundation, so learning the ropes was easy. The Physical/Special split became a welcome surprise (never thought they'd do it). Having actual Day/Night cycles was fantastic, as it was one of my favorite features from Gen 2. I was super happy they went ahead and gave Pokemon necessary evolutions (ideas which many of us had been considering). Wireless trading; Wi-Fi trading; global battling; all awesome things.

And then there's HGSS remakes. They really did those games justice.

A retrospective already? It's only 3 years old, not 10.

Anyway, Gen IV is by-far the best generation yet.

Hm. HG and SS did have an impact. People I saw leave Pokemon 2 generations back were playing SS and HG. And DP and introduced a new region and revamped the series. I think Gen.IV was good for all of us. It had some fandom complaints, but oh well. Gen.V may ruin the series, but I doubt it will. All I think it will do is make more complaints, but still..................................IM STOKED FOR GEN.V!!!!:yahoo:

Dang. Too bad I just got into Pokemon...all these fond recollections of Generation IV...at least I'll be able to look back fondly on Generations to come when I'm a more experienced trainer myself...

I loved Generation IV and it`s my favorite generation so far.
The games were so so enjoyable, and believe me, they are the only main series games that I have played over 100 hours. [I have played Gen III games only 23-75 hours, however I have played them through many many times.]
My first gamegeneration was Gen III and althought I love that too, I must say that Gen IV got my Pokémon fandom in whole next level. There was so much to do and see, the graphics, story and characters were so nice. The plot of D/P/Pt and especially Pt was superior. I really loved that. Music was really nice, and Platinum`s BF was finally in that level, that even I can win some symbols : D

I was really excited about the remakes of Gen II since I haven`t experienced Johto adventure never before then. So far it seems like a really enjoyable Pokémon title, but the storyline wasn`t as exciting as it was in Platinum. That is my only complaint about HG/SS and Gen II games in general.
I must say that so far the Generatin II remakes have the most beautiful layout of any Pokémon games. And music is really nice + the storyline is rather long. Pokéwalker and a change to walk with your Pokémon are really cute features too!

Overall Generation IV was the most perfect one since the Pokéboom of Generation I. The anime is even better than the original series, I`m really really enjoying it. I love the characters, I love the storyline <3

I hope that Generation V can do as much as Generation IV. Or at least keep it at same quality. I really loved this generation, and I`m sure that I will love also Generation V.

This wasn`t perfect generation, cos any of them aren`t. Let`s see what the new Generation will bring to us.
I love how the world of Pokémon is evolving all the time. I`m really excited about the future of Pokémon.

Last edited:

Generation IV was interesting. However, most people seem to view it as one of two things: either a testing of the waters for the DS (some people think Generation five being on the DS proves it) or as a Generation III plus. What about all the new stuff it brought? More exotic/detailed environments, the hugely influencing split of physical and special attacks, and quite a couple breaks from linearity. With the split mentioned, completely useless pokemon like weavile actually had some use! Many people often ignore this when bashing.

However, the people defending it also ignore a couple things. First of all, everything is so slow! Surfing, though it was later sped up, was about the same speed as trudging through mud. And the battles on the highest level of speed still make it feel like less of a fast-paced battle like the previous generation and more like a game of chess with stats. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, but still. Second, the 3-d environment with 2-d sprites didn't work out very well. I hope generation five fixes that, because the sprites stuck out really awkwardly. Regarding the battle system a couple types like Grass need a bit of tweaking to not suck.

Generation IV kinda screwed up a bit, but also brought many traits that greatly improved the system. All it really needs is a little tweaking for the next games and it will be good.

Nice write-up, though I'll have to disagree with you on Voltorb Flip. I love that stupid game. :) They could've let people buy coins, though.

TTEchinda said:
...and hopefully the next region's Game Corner won't be botched. Voltorb Flip FTL. Lemme buy coins.

That is my ONLY complaint towards HGSS.

Anyway, quite a thoughtful analysis you put up there. Although my utter lack of knowledge for Competitive batlling has caused me to not touch my HeartGold for a week now, I might just attempt to finally beat Red this time.

Well I still find it amazing that it has been 3 years since DP came out. (I did get Diamond at '07 though) many changes had been polished by it.

I still haven't started DPPt, I'm getting on it though. Maybe it will be good, this is the only Gen that I haven't played.

The Generation IV games and series have brought us very good things so far, and hopefully it will continue until Generation V is finally released.

This is the real Generation that I got back into with the anime since watching the old Johto series. These games also kept making me want to pick them up again, and I probably have the most hours logged into any of my Pokemon games so far with over 100 hours plus all of the trading hours that I have done. The inclusion of Wi-Fi was absolutely brilliant and brought the games up to the next level which was nice so they were more accessible.

I am still a bit upset about them releasing a third version (Pokemon Platinum) and have learned my lesson to not purchase both games since they aren't all that different. Here is (still) hoping for a third version to conclude our Generation IV series with a bang.

I loved these games. They added so much to Pokemon like wi-fi, the physical and special attack split (I always wanted that), and alot of cool new pokemon. I did stop watching the anime in Sinnoh though but I hope the new Generation V can pull me back to the anime. Well that was an awesome Generation of Pokes we had. Im looking forward to a great new one.

I will definetly miss Gen. IV since it was the first generation I ever got into. I missed out on Gen. I-III since I didn't get into Pokemon until I turned 10 (and that's when trainers get their starters!), unlike people who started playing when they were 6 and and 7. Getting Pearl (and Ranger, PMD2, and others) completly changed my life, and I started religiously watching the anime.

When Generation V actually gets here, I think I'll welcome the change but my heart will still hurt just a little. When I got Pearl, I was so amazed at all the Pokemon (not just the new ones, but ALL of them), the storylines, and the fun. To me, Pokemon isn't just something to pass the time, but something that's become a part of me.

Surprised some people were introduced to pokemon with this gen.

Surprised some people were introduced to pokemon with this gen.

Some people don't really follow fads and just recently they might have given Pokemon a try.

Or they just might be young. Remember the people who just got into Pokemon with Gen IV are becoming the majority of the fandom, and us old fossils who have been around since the start are fading out.

I personally left Pokemon due to the fact that Gen. III was not so hot in my book. I took one look and ran.

After an old friend who has been a Pokefan as long as me (since Generation I)told me to buy D/P, I took a chance with his opinion and discovered something worth playing.

Although R/B/Y and G/S reign supreme, I got to hand it to the new and awesome capabilities that the DS has allowed Pokemon to go: Wi-Fi.

On gameplay, the soundtrack was great, the sprites (at most) were great, and catching 14 Legendaries exclusive to the Sinnoh Region (at least before they made it even more accessible in HG/SS, which is stupid)is flat out awesome.

Now I have the technology to do what I always wanted to do, and that is competitive battling. Woot!

It's wierd Istill remember getting Yellow when I was little... It's amazing how much it has changed in those years... God I feel old now... GenIV seemed a lot longer than four years.... But hey It's GenV now!

when I get over my nostalgia and think about it, I realise I really love Gen IV. In particular, the wi-fi feels like it was the point of the games all along.

Pearl is the only game I've maxed out the clock on. Ever.

Although I quibble with
the article said:
(Galactic) grunts were ignorant and misguided, believing the lie they were told that they were helping the world
because even Cyrus believed he was helping the world. That was his entire motivation, to fix things and bring "justice" because the world was too warlike and violent to help itself. And as twisted as he was and as much as he needed to be stopped, he had a point, and I think that's what makes Team Galactic so powerful to the fans--because even though we know we have to put an end to their plans, they make you think about the nature of things. About the limits good intention has when it leads to evil action. About what is justified to obtain peace.

(and yet I've read that people think that Cyrus is popular because of his looks. What? I'm a huge fan of his and I think he looks like a zombie. I like him because he's a compelling, conflicting, and overall fascinating character.)

pardon but would this hold any relevance?
2s0k1ol.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom