• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV: It came, it saw, will it conquer?

Midnight Blue

~Love Is Hard To Define~
Reaction score
As we're near the end of the Sinnoh saga in the anime, and Generation V being released later this year. We went through DPPt and HGSS(soon in America). What are your thoughts about Gen IV? Was it great? Was it alright? Are you going to miss it? Do remember before Generation IV? Is it one of the best generations?

Pokemon games wise it wasn't my favourite.

Pokemon anime wise IT CONQUERS ALL!!!
~~my opinion~~

It was a good gen. It brought the best things to the table (Lickilicky, wifi, Lickilicky, something to do post game, ...Lickilicky...), but it never compares to the feeling of stuffing myself with a barrel of prezels while catching a Caterpie in Silver's Bug catching contest...

Pokemon anime wise IT CONQUERS ALL!!!

GenIV Pokemon Anime is good my @$$!

The generations in order of quality, in my opinion:

Gen IV and II
Gen I
Gen II

The games were alright. There were way too many new evolutions of old Pokemon this gen, although some helped fixed otherwise worthless Pokemon like Yanma, Gligar, Murkrrow, etc.

To me this gen didn't really do anything groundbreaking except add online, it mostly felt like a generation to help fix up old Johto Pokemon with new evolutions.

I'm betting that when Gen V debuts on the DS, it'll be much more groundbreaking.

I don't think Gen IV is that bad.

The anime was ok, but I don't think it was at it's best. The increase in video quality is nice though, the latest episodes are in HD.

Remakes of G/S = win, with some nice improvements over FR/LG.
wifi battling and trading > link cables, even though I don't own a DS yet.

It was pretty decent, but "fans" were far far FAR too whiny about it for their own good. Especially the ones who wanted a GSC remake.

EDIT: I completely forgot about Wifi, that was a quantum leap in gaming since it's much easier to trade with people that way.

Was it great. I'll admit DP did have some similarities to RSE, not that that's that bad, as I liked Emerald. But Platinum got really good. And then we were given HGSS, which looks amazing. All in all, I've enjoyed this generation a lot. Was it the best? Yes. I love Gen II even to this day, but we got it and Sinnoh all in Gen IV. What's not to love?

anime wise, it was also good. Yeah, I still don't like Dawn or Piplup much but they are growing on me. We've had good plots, a lot of interesting changes, fun characters, and some breaks from the norm. So, anime wise it was good as well.

This generation earns a 9.5/10. Why the half off? Because there was still some things that could have been different and I would have preferred it that way, though they are minor.. And Rhyperior. Just... Rhyperior.

Also, as this was the generation that got me into the online fandom, I do have to hold this generation as special, specifically HGSS which inspired me to join here.

Whether you like it or dislike it, you've got to give Generation IV the respect it deserves. I feel like it probably came at the most appropriate time with Wi-fi and such a big following backing it thanks to the Internet.

I remember getting into it near the start as the last generation was finishing up, but for the bigger part of the growth period, I wasn't around. So a lot of the charm I felt with previous generations isn't there as much, though I recognize the gen. for what it did.

I still haven't tried HGSS (and I'm dying to do so), so those games still haven't been programmed into my blood the same way Fr/Lg was during Generation 3. I'm hoping they can be the last great send off to #4.

The anime was great, but it's still unfinished. No self-respecting story finishes up with a lousy ending. So crossing my fingers for something fantastic.

Anime-wise and game-wise, I'd say that Gen IV conquered. The new game mechanics, Pokemon and characters were what kept me hooked to this generation.

Here is what I will give gen 4 credit for: It was a good idea for them to use Wi-fi and make trading easier and connect the entire world of pokemon fans together. I will also give them props for reinvigorating the fandom, which had diminished greatly during the third gen. HG/SS bringing back the pokemon following gimmick from Yellow and expanding it to all pokemon has been celebrated across the fandom. (Then again, the entire idea of this remake has garnered immense praise, let alone that it went above and beyond) Back when they were revealed to us, the fourth gen was stated to be the ultimate editions of pokemon. They may not have exactly accomplished that, but given the circumstances, they came close. Now gen 5 strives to exceed even that and bring us a new experience. They have a tough act to follow, and they have gotten off to a fairly good start. Here's to another addition to our beloved series, and hope that this one doesn't fall to the fate of the previous odd numbered gen.

I like Gen IV because of the new features it brought to the games (wifi, (some) 3d etc), and HGSS looks to be awesome. However I just really didn't enjoy Pearl. The storyline was just not as good as the rest - although I've heard Platinum is better so maybe I can forgive on that. But it still can't beat the Third Gen imo.

Have to give credit to the side games too.

Ranger 2 and Mysterious Dungeon 2 were major improvements over their predecessors and I felt were quite great game, almost as good (or better, as the case may be) than the main series itself. I certainly loved their unique take.

Gen IV was essentially Gen III 2.0. When you get right down to it, the only thing that GenIV really brought to the table (besides the new Pokemon, obviously) was all of the Internet features, and 3D buildings on the overworld. Other than that, there was hardly any difference between it and the generation that came right before it.

Gen IV was essentially Gen III 2.0. When you get right down to it, the only thing that GenIV really brought to the table (besides the new Pokemon, obviously) was all of the Internet features, and 3D buildings on the overworld. Other than that, there was hardly any difference between it and the generation that came right before it.
And this tiny little thing that pretty much split the entire attack list into Physical or Special. Y'know, miniscule.

And this tiny little thing that pretty much split the entire attack list into Physical or Special. Y'know, miniscule.

Forgot about that. Even then, I still stand by my previous statement. It was still GenIII 2.0.

Well, honestly, it's kinda hard to hold a candle to gen3 with improvements on the battle systems without completely changing up the entire system itself. Gen4 clearly is the best generation out so far, as nothing else in pokemon matters aside from the pokemon themselves and the battle system.

IMHO: IV>III>II>I

Just because R/B/Y came first doesn't mean it was actually good. Original? Yes. Good? Not exactly.

Well, honestly, it's kinda hard to hold a candle to gen3 with improvements on the battle systems without completely changing up the entire system itself. Gen4 clearly is the best generation out so far, as nothing else in pokemon matters aside from the pokemon themselves and the battle system.

IMHO: IV>III>II>I

Just because R/B/Y came first doesn't mean it was actually good. Original? Yes. Good? Not exactly.

Well if just improvements in technology automatically make Gen IV the best, then that makes no sense seeing as any games these days with that logic is far better than anything before 2000's.

Just because D/P/Pt came last doesn't mean it was actually good. Original? No. Good? Not exactly.

See I can do that too.

It conquered all right. The Anime blew me out of the water with how it completely surprised us in almost every episode, kept things in a nice continuum and allowed the amount of fillers to stay at a low amount, even with 170 episodes+. The games though up till platinum saddened me. Only thing that kept me going and going was HGSS.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom