• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshawott

The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
With the world going absolutely port and remake mad and with the Pokémon franchise itself having released remakes in the past (FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver), demand has obviously kicked up for other games in the series' history to be remade for modern platforms and fans. In the past, we have had a single Remake Discussion thread, but as calls continue and continue, sometimes it's better to neaten things up. This is why we're starting a couple of new threads - this one for the discussion of possible remakes of Generation IV games, as well as a separate on for Generation III. The house-rules are the same as the last thread, but with a couple of new additions:

- Respect other users and their opinion, do not participate in flamewars, and keep discussions civil.
- Comments that merely state whether or not one wants remakes are considered spam.
- For the purpose of the discussion, discussion on the validity of remakes or which ones should be prioritised over others is a no-no. Assume that all remakes are going to happen and discuss what new features you would like to see et cetera.
- Discussion of remakes of games from Generation III (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) and Generation V (Black/White) are a no-no. There is a separate thread for the former and the latter is just silliness.
- Do not address rulebreakers yourself. Report them and let us moderators deal with it.

Now, play safe, have fun and remember to always wear a helmet, as they'll keep you safe. Failure to comply with these rules will result in spam, or potentially flaming/trolling infractions. Repeated offenders will be dealt with severely.

Last edited:
Not interested in DPPt remakes, but if Game Freak ever returned to Sinnoh mythology, I feel there are a few things they should do to justify Dialga's and Palkia's themes. The themes of those two, unlike their Platinum counterpart, Giratina's, are not incorporated in gameplay mechanics at all. It's a real shame, because spatial and temporal mechanics, like spatial manipulation or time deceleration would be quite interesting to play with. In the case of sequels or remakes, or even games that simply bring the Creation Trio to the front, I hope the Legendaries' themes are not empty statements like in DPPt, but actually promoted through the game's design.

If they indeed made sequels, Diamond and Pearl could work in a similar way to the Oracle games in the Zelda franchise, with Diamond focusing on time travel through Dialga and Pearl focusing on changes in the region through Palkia.

Not interested in DPPt remakes, but if Game Freak ever returned to Sinnoh mythology, I feel there are a few things they should do to justify Dialga's and Palkia's themes. The themes of those two, unlike their Platinum counterpart, Giratina's, are not incorporated in gameplay mechanics at all. It's a real shame, because spatial and temporal mechanics, like spatial manipulation or time deceleration would be quite interesting to play with. In the case of sequels or remakes, or even games that simply bring the Creation Trio to the front, I hope the Legendaries' themes are not empty statements like in DPPt, but actually promoted through the game's design.

better yet i would love it if they made a time dimension and a space dimension for us to explore in each respective game just like the distortion world in platinum. But i'd much rather wait till generation VII for these remakes as they still aren't nearly as old as certain games which should be remade first. maybe on the 4ds or whatever the next one'll be called.

If they indeed made sequels, Diamond and Pearl could work in a similar way to the Oracle games in the Zelda franchise, with Diamond focusing on time travel through Dialga and Pearl focusing on changes in the region through Palkia.

I think the time travel territory is Celebi's. Dialga's time control is more in the context of time acceleration/deceleration or even time dilation (say, distorted flow of time depending on the location). An example of an idea that could be incorporated can involve the player going to a city for a small errand only to return months later, from other characters' perspective. Similar things can be done with spatial manipulation, like distortion of width/height/length or altering the size of objects.

Psst, I think you meant "Discussion of remakes of games from Generation III (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen)...".

I could totally get behind this idea, with the Distortion World, Giratina and Arceus having big roles as well.

I'd love to be able to explore Dialga/Palkia's respective dimensions, as well as the Distortion World again and perhaps even visit Arceus at his dimension (I don't really consider the Hall of Origin to be a dimension, it's just a floating square of glass) and as for a story, maybe there could be this sudden space/time anomaly? And as the game progresses, the Distortion World gets affected too, and it is up to the player to find out what is happening. Maybe a bit grand for a Pokemon game, but I think they really could use a big story. They are RPGs, after all.

I don't really think a remake of DPPt would be that interesting really, the games were already near perfect before, there's not much else they can do to improve it besides the obvious. They might add more Pokemon to the Sinnoh Dex, but going on Platinum's Sinnoh Dex, it doesn't need much. What they should do is put more areas on the south end of Mt. Coronet, around Rt. 212ish.

Last edited:
This is just too early. Remakes tend to be made around the time the original can not be played on the current system. That rule would explain why we didn't receive gen 3 remakes in gen 5.

We got FRLG in Gen 3, at a time when the GBA Micro came out and I believe the Micro could not play GB or GBC games. HGSS came out in Gen 4, when the DS was out and you could play DS games and GBA games, but not GB or GBC games. I don't believe a Gen 4 remake will be coming for a good 10-15 years, when DS carts are completely phased out.

I wouldn't mind D/P remakes since it would be fun to explore Sinnoh again with updated graphics, but I agree that it's far too early for them. There's no reason to remake them when people can still play the games on the 3DS. I suspect that they won't even consider remaking this generation until a new handheld system that doesn't play DS games comes along and that probably won't happen for a good number of years.

I don't think there will be Generation IV remakes any time soon. Unless they wanted to make some sort of prequels or sequels down the line, they will probably not remake DPPt for the Nintendo 3DS. There could be the possibility though, that they may do remakes to have a full 3D version of them in a few years.

I don't think there will be Generation IV remakes any time soon. Unless they wanted to make some sort of prequels or sequels down the line, they will probably not remake DPPt for the Nintendo 3DS. There could be the possibility though, that they may do remakes to have a full 3D version of them in a few years.

Sequel could be a nice way to change up the regional design. And I can see them continuing Platinum's storyline.

It's too soon IMO. I can't even imagine DPPt remakes, lol. Why make 'em if you can just play them through the 3DS's backwards compatibility?

Yknow, as much as I'd love Diamond & Pearl remakes I just don't see them happening for a good few years atleast. I'm a huge fan of Sinnoh and would love to explore that region in full 3D and so forth, but I'm more enthusiastic about a Ruby & Sapphire Remake at the moment.. as I have been for quite some time now. ;;

Sure, DPPt remakes/sequels/whatever may be far into the future, but who's to say it can't be discussed now?

We don't need DPPt remakes yet, they don't seem old enough yet and RSE remakes haven't even been made yet, but I hope Lucas gets a redesign because that hat is ridiculous!

Yes! Somewhere I can vent my craziness!

The lack of Cynthia is intriguing. Two of her Pokemon got megas, and Togekiss got a retype. I'd expect a BW style appearance.

May I just remind, this is the Gen IV remake thread, not the Gen IV Is Coming This Gen thread. I'm pretty sure it's just discussing possible remakes in general.

I'd like inner Coronet to be more varied.

I can see Bolt the Cat being happy as he'll that I've found a new stomping ground XD

This would be amazing. Unlikely, but amazing.

I would be interested if instead of a remake, we actually revisit Sinnoh years later (ala BW2.) Seeing the vacuum created by the absence of Galactic, the consequences of the DPPt storyline and Cyrus' new plans, as well as how the area has changed. Far more interesting than rehashing the story

Gen IV is when I started playing Pokemon. But I feel like it is too early for sequels, or remakes for them. (Then again, I would rather have a Gen 4 remake than a Gen 3 remake)

Blegh. No Gen IV remakes for me. At least not for another 2 generations or so. They aren't old enough. All I need is for more Sinnoh Pokemon to be available this generation through a means other than remakes. Plus, DP remakes won't even be considered before RS remakes. That's a solid fact. Chances are we'll get RS remakes soon, hopefully this gen, and then a couple gens later, DP remakes. May even see RB remakes again (due to 3D capabilities) before DP ones.

I'd like inner Coronet to be more varied.

Explain?

I can see Bolt the Cat being happy as he'll that I've found a new stomping ground XD

I don't really care, I just find it odd that you think they should remake DPPt before RSE. I just don't see as much that needs changing in DPPt as I do in other games. They pretty much nailed the region design, the Pokedex (in Platinum), and the story, the only things to add are features that were added since then.

I would be interested if instead of a remake, we actually revisit Sinnoh years later (ala BW2.) Seeing the vacuum created by the absence of Galactic, the consequences of the DPPt storyline and Cyrus' new plans, as well as how the area has changed. Far more interesting than rehashing the story

Vacuum? Having no evil team would make for an uninteresting storyline. Unless you're suggesting a new evil team for this game, Team Galactic is going to show up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom