• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • Recently, some of our fellow Pokémon fan sites have received legal requests to take down leaked Sword and Shield images. We have not received one of these requests yet, but we are taking some preemptive measures to stay on the safe side. We ask that from now until the games release (November 15th) that you do not post any new leaked images anywhere on the forums.

For more information, see this thread

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Fire type variants would be nice, but what Sinnoh really needs is more Dragons. The only Dragons in the Sinnoh Dex, even with Platinum's expansion, were Garchomp and Altaria. If they're adding variants to the game, that should definitely change. This might be a good time for a Bug/Dragon Flygon variant, which they could stick in Rt.212S to actually give you a reason to go there (besides the Move Tutor).

Reaction score
I wonder now, if Gen VIII is coming this year, would that mean that gens lasting 2 years would become the norm so GF can make quicker $$$? If so, that could mean that DP remakes won't come before 2021.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I wonder now, if Gen VIII is coming this year, would that mean that gens lasting 2 years would become the norm so GF can make quicker $$$? If so, that could mean that DP remakes won't come before 2021.
I think you’re making too many assumptions there to make an educated guess on the DPPt remake year...

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Keeping in account recent rumours the release schedule could go these ways:

Schedule 1

Kanto Game -2018
Generation 8- 2019
Break- 2020
Remakes- 2021

(This is unlikely imo since Gamefreak probably needs a break after working so much from the first Switch game. But there have been rumours that GF had more than one Switch game in development so its possible...)

Schedule 2

Kanto Game - 2018
Break - 2019
Generation 8 - 2020
Remakes- 2021

So... in my opinion the remakes are quite likely to be released in 2021.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
At this point, I don't even think that the DP remakes will even be on the Switch.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Why not? The Switch is likely to get supported by Game Freak until 2023-2024.
I don't think that they will support the Switch for that long. Nintendo will eventually develop a successor. And, I think that DP remakes will be made for that console.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I also don't really think that they will release two remakes for the same console.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I also don't really think that they will release two remakes for the same console.
And they haven’t 'remade' a region twice. Your point?

Depending on what exactly LGPE is, it may be not a remake at all. A Kanto revisit has disturbed the remake schedule so we cannot say anything right now.

Reaction score
I think we should have gotten these remakes last year instead of USUM.
Also, GF supported the DS for 6 years, and they take their time before jumping to a new platform.

EDIT: Aren't these Kanto games believe to be Gen VIII?

Darth Ignis
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the imminent Kanto game is Gen VIII. Rumors are that you can visit more than one region, and one of the regions being. DP remakes are highly likely.

Reaction score
if they give us johto megas here, then Feraligatr potential dragon candidate.
Gen 5 Carracosta also would be nice.

But maybe they could implement Tyrantrum you know how?

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
I was talking about Fire-type variants on the Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread the other day. I came up with a Fire-type Clauncher based on a mantis shrimp.

(By the way, I initially wanted to get X for Clauncher, but I got Y instead, and I can't remember why.)
This might be a good time for a Bug/Dragon Flygon variant
I never liked the idea of Flygon being a Bug-type. It seems too boring. Ditto with Yanmega being a Dragon-type, because there's noting draconic about its design, and it only makes sense in English. In Japan, the animals associated with dragons are seahorses.

(Is Bulbagarden Forums being slow for anyone else?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeb