• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, remakes will always be made, no matter how much you love it or hate it, they will always exist and more will keep coming out. If you seriously think Game Freak can just keep making completely new games all the time, you're sorely mistaken.

I sure hope the new Sinnoh Pokédex could add all the Sinnoh legendaries. What kind of regional Pokédex omits Pokémon native to that region anyway? I want the Sinnoh part of the Pokédex full by the time I get to the postgame. No blanks should between #387 Turtwig and #493 Arceus when I get the National Dex.

My point was not that third versions are not profitable-my point was that remakes are even more so, and so it wouldn't make sense to not do a remake just for the sake of breaking patterns.

This. Anyone who's taken Economics 101 should know about a concept called opportunity cost, where you don't just consider the outright cost of a product, but how much you lose compared to alternative options. Businesses don't just look for an option that's profitable, they look for the option that's the most profitable. And third versions are proving to be far less profitable than remakes, so they should probably consider doing away with third versions for good.

This. Anyone who's taken Economics 101 should know about a concept called opportunity cost, where you don't just consider the outright cost of a product, but how much you lose compared to alternative options. Businesses don't just look for an option that's profitable, they look for the option that's the most profitable. And third versions are proving to be far less profitable than remakes, so they should probably consider doing away with third versions for good.

And this perfectly coincides with plans to add DLC. A $20 DLC for the original game is much more attractive than a $60 purchase where you have to start your game all over again.

And this perfectly coincides with plans to add DLC. A $20 DLC for the original game is much more attractive than a $60 purchase where you have to start your game all over again.
You don't even need to take a class for that. It's common sense. And I do believe an expansion pass system, like the one Xenoblade 2 is using, might also benefit the series in the long run.

I think it actually might be better for them to approach DLC like New Super Luigi U, release a DLC pack including all of the third game content as well as an updated version of the game that comes with the DLC included. That way if you don't already have the original game, you can still get the third version right out of the box.

More on topic, I'm also wondering if they could give DP remakes DLC. This could be a solution to the issues with post game/third version content ORAS had, with Platinum content such as the Battle Frontier being DLC. They could also sell the event Pokemon as DLC and expand on them with Delta Episode-esque story arcs and maybe some extra wild Pokemon in the areas to make them more worth it.

I think it actually might be better for them to approach DLC like New Super Luigi U, release a DLC pack including all of the third game content as well as an updated version of the game that comes with the DLC included. That way if you don't already have the original game, you can still get the third version right out of the box.

More on topic, I'm also wondering if they could give DP remakes DLC. This could be a solution to the issues with post game/third version content ORAS had, with Platinum content such as the Battle Frontier being DLC. They could also sell the event Pokemon as DLC and expand on them with Delta Episode-esque story arcs and maybe some extra wild Pokemon in the areas to make them more worth it.
Just as long as they don't lock Giratina behind DLC, I would be fine with it. Heck, maybe just the Battle Frontier being DLC locked is fine, that way, Game Freak can take their time to develop it more so it won't turn out like yet another Battle Maison.

I doubt they would bring back a Battle Frontier with or without DLC.

Except that areas of Kanto needed to be cut from the final game in order to fit in with Johto. Sinnoh would simply not be the same if it had areas cut from it.
The Switch is far more powerful than the Game Boy. It is possible that they can put the whole of Sinnoh and another region onto a cartridge.

The Switch is far more powerful than the Game Boy. It is possible that they can put the whole of Sinnoh and another region onto a cartridge.
However, Sinnoh would be more barren of content if it was included with DLC to keep the framerate from going down. The remake route is objectively better than the DLC route to have Sinnoh in a 3D space. More money for Game Freak and better frame rate overall for the game.

Well, the remake route would be a lot better. I mean, I guess we would want to relive the plot events from Sinnoh on the Switch and not have Gym Leaders changed around. When you went to Kanto in GSC/HGSS there was a lack of Team Rocket (only one grunt was there to steal a machine part). You start in Vermillion City instead of Pallet Town. You don't choose between Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle until you beat Red in HGSS. In GSC, you don't get those starters at all. So I guess, when we want to go back to Sinnoh, we don't want to just revisit areas like Mt. Coronet or Jubilife City. We want to relive the experience from Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. So yeah, remake games would be a better idea than a Sinnoh DLC pack. Besides, we should be able to save up some storage memory when it's on a separate game card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom