• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • AussieEevee trains in the Bellsprout Tower on his journey through Johto. Watch as he ascends to the next level here.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
I <3 Kabu and Raihan
Reaction score
About "hints"... Game Freak reference every previous region once they become part of the overall lore. They also make remakes at somewhat regular intervals. These two things are not necessarily correlated. It's more like one of those "broken clock is right twice a day" things, or being right for the wrong reasons.

Also Sinnoh's route themes are, collectively, the best in the series, and the bike theme is great and Mt. Coronet and Galactic HQ are top percentage, and Platinum gave us the Distortion World theme, the Global Terminal theme, and Sinnoh's Frontier Brain and Battle Factory themes which are all like, my favorite tracks ever? So.

I think there are only two tracks that I dislike... Hotel Grand Lake's theme (it's this thick, molassessy rural cacophony... it's hard to explain but it's like the musical equivalent of trekking through the mud tiles one route over) and the Victory Road theme, which I actually had a long talk about recently because it's So Lame. But I kinda get why it is... the Pokémon League theme is so beautifully melancholic, in a way that none of the other League themes are (they all lean more toward foreboding epicness), and I feel like it's supposed to come as a bit of a surprise that it is like that. It's supposed to sneak up on you after emerging from the gauntlet of Victory Road and make you reflect on your journey and the fact that it's almost over, and that that's kinda sad. Which I think would be too tonally jarring if it just came off of a really triumphant epic piece like, say, Hoenn's Victory Road theme. But you can't precede it with a similarly sad & slow piece because then the effect of the League piano is weakened, so you have to find something that's more neutral. So I think maybe they aimed for something a little more directly atmospheric even if it meant being kind of generically cave-y. Functionally it works, it's just not what I would expect from a Victory Road. Worthy trade-off? Probably

also f*** Kalos

On a journey to become whole again.
Reaction score
Except that hints towards Diamond and Pearl remakes this time around are real, like the mention of Sinnoh on a poster in Detective Pikachu movie, it's obvious that sneaky marketing happens well before a remake is announced. There isn't much marketing for Sinnoh at this time because of Gen 8 needing to be prioritized in the marketing aspect much more.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
If the remake is a western European country, I just expect them to make Kalos characters appear, instead of putting something of the region in there.

Something like Grimsley and Annabel, but then, let's say Serena and Trevor helping you on your journey.

Even though I'm not sure if they would let a protagonist return that is not Red.

I <3 Kabu and Raihan
Reaction score
Except that hints towards Diamond and Pearl remakes this time around are real, like the mention of Sinnoh on a poster in Detective Pikachu movie, it's obvious that sneaky marketing happens well before a remake is announced. There isn't much marketing for Sinnoh at this time because of Gen 8 needing to be prioritized in the marketing aspect much more.
But again, there's references to other regions in the movie promotion as well. The theatrical poster with the city street includes a sign saying "Unova Style Pizza." But that's not a "hint" toward upcoming Unova remakes, it's just a reference. Same for the Sinnoh poster, and the Johto sign. They're just references. Remakes, however likely they are to happen, have nothing inherent to do with it - those regions would be getting referenced regardless.

Reaction score
One thing that's for sure gonna be changed for the worse is mount coronet. I loved it in DPP, but they're inevitibly gonna make it easier to navigate in the remakes, which is too bad.

Reaction score
In my case, I'm actually glad for that. The exterior section is a pain for me and I still get lost even with my frequent Platinum replays.

On a journey to become whole again.
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about the order of remakes, if Game Freak is doing them in the same order from which the first remakes and games that didn't receive remakes yet are released, then a traditional Gen 4 remake is next, since HGSS were released after Platinum.

Reaction score
I don't think that the Gen 4 remakes would introduce new megas or new signature Z-Moves. I think that the Gen 4 remakes will use Gen 8's gimmick (assuming that Gen 4 is remade in Gen 8).
I would hate this.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
One thing that's for sure gonna be changed for the worse is mount coronet. I loved it in DPP, but they're inevitibly gonna make it easier to navigate in the remakes, which is too bad.
God I hope not. Last thing Sinnoh needs is to be dumbed down like every region since then. Mt. Coronet is fine, it's supposed to be a sprawling cave system. The only thing that really needs changing in the overworld is for them to replace HMs with riding/following. Anything beyond that and adding new areas would be a destructive change for the region.

Reaction score
God I hope not. Last thing Sinnoh needs is to be dumbed down like every region since then. Mt. Coronet is fine, it's supposed to be a sprawling cave system. The only thing that really needs changing in the overworld is for them to replace HMs with riding/following. Anything beyond that and adding new areas would be a destructive change for the region.
Agreed. I'd even be okay with beefing up the routes/caves to be more expansive and kill some dead space. Bigger, longer, more interesting, more opportunities for alternate encounters, gimme more. Sinnoh was a great region as it was and the general simplification of regions which has followed has never lived up to it.

daikaiju
Reaction score
I hope we can buck the trends of traditional remakes in the future with sequels to previous games that celebrate the original games but also makes it more realized that before. Pokemon can be a three pillar system like this.

-New Game that introduces new Pokemon and Regions
-A direct Sequel or even a prequel to an older title rather than a 1:1 remake (you can play off time jump in the titles Future Diamond/Foresight Pearl)
-Let's Go can take over the remake category, with both a nostalgia trip and simplified/more accessible gameplay

Edit: technically the wrong thread but it can apply here too.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I hope we can buck the trends of traditional remakes in the future with sequels to previous games that celebrate the original games but also makes it more realized that before. Pokemon can be a three pillar system like this.

-New Game that introduces new Pokemon and Regions
-A direct Sequel or even a prequel to an older title rather than a 1:1 remake (you can play off time jump in the titles Future Diamond/Foresight Pearl)
-Let's Go can take over the remake category, with both a nostalgia trip and simplified/more accessible gameplay

Edit: technically the wrong thread but it can apply here too.
I think that there will still be traditional remakes.

Reaction score
I'll very much prefer sequels/prequels as I would rather see growth in the region. Straight up remakes can be given the simplified Let's Go treatment.

Darth Ignis
Reaction score
Let LGPE be the re-remake games.
Let LGPE die a horrible, fiery death.

The "Altered Genesis" trademark from the other day reminded me of Arceus and Gen 4, so I still hope we get remakes in the coming years.

This statement in no way infers that I believe that "Altered Genesis" has anything to do with Gen 4 or Arceus. This is just a statement.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Huh? Maybe it was a TCG set that got cancelled like Jamboree or Crosstrainer?