• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping this because 4th gen remake discussion is starting to flare up again.

So one thing that comes up is what they'll keep from Platinum. Now ORAS didn't include a whole lot from Emerald, but I think you could make the case that they could retain some Platinum content in the 4th gen remakes. For one, the dex expansion is a very different situation, Platinum was the first time a regional dex was expanded. But there is some precedence for previous remakes expanding regional dexes with new Pokemon, so they have no problems adding in Pokemon when it's not too much trouble. I also think they'll keep the legendaries from Platinum because again, it's not too much trouble. So the Sinnoh Dex will probably be Platinum's 210 plus Sylveon and whatever cross gen evolutions we happen to get by then. The Regis merely had one room added to existing areas to find them, and you need them to catch Regigigas, so I think they can just leave them. The Bird trio they could possibly leave out, but they're runners so they don't really need to do much to add them.

That being said, there are several things from Platinum I don't think we'll get. The Battle Frontier is pretty much a no, they've gone on record saying they don't think enough people want it and that was in a game that it was a central part of, Platinum pretty much just added it for the hell of it so I think they have even less reason for it in this game. I personally wouldn't miss it much anyway, ORAS needed it because Hoenn doesn't have a whole lot of post game content but Sinnoh already has a wealth of post game content without it. The Villa probably won't come back either, it didn't really have much point besides being a cool extra thing so I can easily see it being cut. And I have a feeling we won't see too much of the Distortion World, as much as I want to I think it might be too complex, both for Game Freak to program and for the casuals to navigate.

I want to see a post game involving Giratina and Arceus as I mentioned in gen 7 thread. Another post game that I would like to see is Darkrai and Cresselia as I kind of feel like Darkrai should be in the game with Cresselia. I would like to see both mascots to be catchable in both games rather than having to trade over and have them involved in the post game with Giratina and Arceus. Gym leader rematches is something I want to return and I would like the Regi trio to caught in the game without an event Regigigas.

The Distortion World in 3D would be friggin awesome.

I'd love to go through Sinnoh again with better graphics and access to the Fairy Type. That said, I'm such a hardcore fan of Sinnoh that I don't know if I'd want it exactly replicated just in the new and better engine with a few cool extras (a bit like FRLG) or whether I want it completely revamped (a bit like what BW2 did to Unova).

The former I worry would be nostalgic but ultimately a bit boring, and the latter I worry would be exciting, but also unnecessarily change what was (imho) a nearly perfect region and game. It's tricky.

Eh. Whatever GF decide to do with the eventual remakes, I'll definitely play them, and will likely love them ^_^

Aw man, I really hope any DPPt remakes have the Distortion World be a re-visitable place (maybe use it as something like soaring? With Mirage Spots appearing around the 'World each day?)

I always sulk when cool locations are one-off visits, ha ha...

The Distortion World in 3D would be friggin awesome.

I'd love to go through Sinnoh again with better graphics and access to the Fairy Type. That said, I'm such a hardcore fan of Sinnoh that I don't know if I'd want it exactly replicated just in the new and better engine with a few cool extras (a bit like FRLG) or whether I want it completely revamped (a bit like what BW2 did to Unova).

The former I worry would be nostalgic but ultimately a bit boring, and the latter I worry would be exciting, but also unnecessarily change what was (imho) a nearly perfect region and game. It's tricky.

Eh. Whatever GF decide to do with the eventual remakes, I'll definitely play them, and will likely love them ^_^

I think it should be closer to FRLG than BW2, but still somewhere in between. Platinum was near perfect so I don't want them messing with it too much, but beyond hardware improvements they should at least take advantage of the improvements to storyline and online over the last few generations as well as the introduction of Mega Evolutions. Do that and I think it can beat out Platinum, even if they remove some of the Platinum stuff like the Battle Frontier (but not if they remove the Sinnoh Dex expansion, the game really needed that).

I might sound like a fangirl here, but I love Sinnoh so much that I have no idea what I want IMPROVED in a remake. It's already... so good, the way it is. I think the best route (and very likely the route they will take, because Fairy-Type) is to show us the "Mega Evolution/Fairy Type were discovered" version of Sinnoh. I wonder how that will impact the story and the notable trainers' teams... Hopefully the changes will be mostly positive, as the changes from RS to ORAS.

Well, one thing I want is the addition of customization for the playable characters. Come on, Game Freak! Who cares if the original games didn't have customization, that is no excuse to not add the feature in the remakes. I am still disappointed the feature wasn't present in ORAS.

I think Shinnoh remakes will get a similar treatment as ORAS did. They will have many cool new features, and then they will not have some classic ones from the originals. Essentially, Masuda's current mentality is: THE FANDOM CHANGES WITH TIME, AND WE DO THE SAME.
He is trading big engaging and challenging stuff like the Frontier, for cool shiny, more easy to use and exciting to do features like Soaring, Sneaking, Customisation, etc.

I think they will be very good, but it will end up depending of who will be the director.

Last edited:
I wonder how that will impact the story and the notable trainers' teams...
probably very little. both Origins and ORAS essentially just shoehorned Mega Evolution in.
I guess we played different ORAS then, because in the ORAS I played, a lot of stuff changed from RS to ORAS thanks to Mega Evolution and other newer stuff.

He is trading big engaging and challenging stuff like the Frontier, for cool shiny, more easy to use and exciting to do features like Soaring, Sneaking, Customisation, etc.
I think the lack of Battle Frontier has nothing to do with features like customization being added to the series.

I think Shinnoh remakes will get a similar treatment as ORAS did. They will have many cool new features, and then they will not have some classic ones from the originals. Essentially, Masuda's current mentality is: THE FANDOM CHANGES WITH TIME, AND WE DO THE SAME.

I think they will be very good, but it will end up depending of who wiol be the director.
TBH I very mush believe Masuda was just giving us an excuse to cover up the fact that the games were rushed. He gave similar jives for XY with their removed features .
The BF will most likely come back for Z.

I think they will be very good, but it will end up depending of who wiol be the director.
TBH I very mush believe Masuda was just giving us an excuse to cover up the fact that the games were rushed. He gave similar jives for XY with their removed features .

I think you are wrong. The BF hasn't been in the past FOUR GAMES. Not just XY and ORAS, but also BW and their sequels. They just think the Battle Frontier is not what new fans want, cause they have been casualized by smartphone games... And they are probably right. Not that the BF is useless, but it takes too much time to do, especially in 3D.

I mean honestly, I think the BF was only brought from Gen III to Gen IV, because Gen IV drastically copied gen III in general: Secret Bases- Underground Bases, Contests- Super Contests, Poke blocks- Poffins, Hoenn BF - Shinnoh BF, VS Seeker... No other generation copied it's predecessor in such an obvious way. But I am glad they did it, because gen III was so good.

Just saying, they might have carried the BF to gen IV, cause it was the general trend of gen IV. We might just have assumed they were planning to carry the BF in future gens, but after the BF was not in gen V, there is no reason to expect it in future gens.

Imo, the WT is much more likely to make a return.

PD ORAS and XY were not rushed. GF can make games faster nowadays, because their team has been greatly expanded since gen VI. They are always in a rush of course, because they give us almost yearly new games, but they do not rush their games, I would say.

Last edited:
I've never fully understood this 'we left the BF out because mobile/casual gamers don't have time for it' thing.

I'm sorry, but...what? What does that even mean? Why would GF give a crap what casual/mobile gamers think of a single feature in a Pokemon game? They have never been the target audience of Pokemon, which is and always has been a legendary console game with a cult fan following that perpetually draws loyal legions of fans decade after decade. They might as well have said 'Sony gamers wouldn't have time for it'. Pokemon consumers - the loyal ones who bought the original games and the remakes and will eventually buy remakes of the remakes, wanted the BF and enthused about it for freakin' years. Shouldn't their opinions have mattered more? Also, people have time to play the game...but don't have time to play one part of it? What kind of weirdass logic is that? You could apply that to anything in these games and it wouldn't make any more sense.

'We didn't bring back diving, casual gamers wouldn't have time for it.'

'We didn't bring back the friend safari, casual gamers wouldn't have time for it.'

'We didn't bring back contests, casual gamers wouldn't have time for it.'

???

Bottom line is: people either have time to play the game or they don't. Please, Masuda-san, make a wonderful and fully-realised game for all those who will play it to its full potential, and anyone who doesn't...why are you chasing their dollars? Treating all gamers like we have the attention spans of gnats would be a very slippery slope toward not putting any effort into cool features into future games, on the logic that 'well people wouldn't play it anyway because they're stupid and would rather check Facebook on their phone, so why bother?'. I was inclined to hope it was a line pulled completely out of Masuda's butt to cover for not having the time to add the BF, rather than believe he really thinks his fans are that vacuous, however the existence of Pokemon GO proves that Gamefreak truly are pandering to the mobile gaming generation these days. Sigh.

But yeah...as a feature the Frontier has been missing for a while now, so I'd be surprised (if pleased) to see it come back in an eventual DP remake.

I've never fully understood this 'we left the BF out because mobile/casual gamers don't have time for it' thing.

I'm sorry, but...what? What does that even mean? Why would GF give a crap what casual/mobile gamers think of a single feature in a Pokemon game? They have never been the target audience of Pokemon, which is and always has been a legendary console game with a cult fan following that perpetually draws loyal legions of fans decade after decade. They might as well have said 'Sony gamers wouldn't have time for it'. Pokemon consumers - the loyal ones who bought the original games and the remakes and will eventually buy remakes of the remakes, wanted the BF and enthused about it for freakin' years. Shouldn't their opinions have mattered more? Also, people have time to play the game...but don't have time to play one part of it? What kind of weirdass logic is that? You could apply that to anything in these games and it wouldn't make any more sense.

'We didn't bring back the friend safari, casual gamers wouldn't have time for it.'

???

Bottom line is: people either have time to play the game or they don't. Please, Masuda-san, make a wonderful and fully-realised game for all those who will play it to its full potential, and anyone who doesn't...why are you chasing their dollars? Treating all gamers like we have the attention spans of gnats would be a very slippery slope toward not putting any effort into cool features into future games, on the logic that 'well people wouldn't play it anyway because they're stupid and would rather check Facebook on their phone, so why bother?'. I was inclined to hope it was a line pulled completely out of Masuda's butt to cover for not having the time to add the BF, rather than believe he really thinks his fans are that vacuous, however the existence of Pokemon GO proves that Gamefreak truly are pandering to the mobile gaming generation these days. Sigh.

But yeah...as a feature the Frontier has been missing for a while now, so I'd be surprised (if pleased) to see it come back in an eventual DP remake.

Everything you said is true. But the BF takes more time and effort to make in 3D than other features, and in proportion to the fans that want it (ACCORDING TO MASUDA).

And Masuda is Masuda. He follows his own logic, so yeah... It's not like that's new for us. And it's not like he sterted doing it this generation. They have been doing it ever since they removed the day/night system in gen 3.

Last edited:
a lot of stuff changed from RS to ORAS thanks to Mega Evolution and other newer stuff.
unless you want to include every difference from character quotes, designs, moves, and so on-- which would be pretty stupid-- only a few things were changed (hardly a lot) and much of it was just trying to do some minor fixes to RS. furthermore, very little can actually be attributed directly to the presence of Mega Evolution.

I think you are wrong. The BF hasn't been in the past FOUR GAMES. Not just XY and ORAS, but also BW and their sequels. They just think the Battle Frontier is not what new fans want, cause they have been casualized by smartphone games... And they are probably right. Not that the BF is useless, but it takes too much time to do, especially in 3D.

I mean honestly, I think the BF was only brought from Gen III to Gen IV, because Gen IV drastically copied gen III in general: Secret Bases- Underground Bases, Contests- Super Contests, Poke blocks- Poffins, Hoenn BF - Shinnoh BF, VS Seeker... No other generation copied it's predecessor in such an obvious way. But I am glad they did it, because gen III was so good.

Just saying, they might have carried the BF to gen IV, cause it was the general trend of gen IV. We might just have assumed they were planning to carry the BF in future gens, but after the BF was not in gen V, there is no reason to expect it in future gens.

PD ORAS and XY were not rushed. GF can make games faster nowadays, because their team has been greatly expanded since gen VI. They are always in a rush of course, because they give us almost yearly new games, but they do not rush their games, I would say.

Naw , GF just has this weird thing about keeping things exclusive and that drain of thought is starting to get them a lot of negative feedback . As for the games yeah, Masuda himself admitted in a interview that they had to cut some stuff from XY ( Including a really cool Pokémon talking to us mechanic) and the same thing acquired with ORAS seeing how they weren't able to finish the BF and instead gave us a " stay tuned" sort of vibe which did nothing but soured many players experience sadly.
Yearly games are never a good thing IMO because it can cause fans to get burned out and can damage a franchises reputation and we're starting too see that happen to Pokémon .
The more time they take the better the games will be for us fans.

Naw , GF just has this weird thing about keeping things exclusive and that drain of thought is starting to get them a lot of negative feedback . As for the games yeah, Masuda himself admitted in a interview that they had to cut some stuff from XY ( Including a really cool Pokémon talking to us mechanic) and the same thing acquired with ORAS seeing how they weren't able to finish the BF and instead gave us a " stay tuned" sort of vibe which did nothing but soured many players experience sadly.
Yearly games are never a good thing IMO because it can cause fans to get burned out and can damage a franchises reputation and we're starting too see that happen to Pokémon .

Again, they don't have to take as much time as they used to, because their staff has doubled since gen IV. So it's only natural they can release games faster, without those being incomplete.

The pokemon talking thing was just VERY time consuming, that's why he didn't do it. It's not like he rushed the games, it's just he realised that the feature wasn't worth the time investment.

About the BF sign, it was the way they could think of to honour/mention the Battle Frontier, and let fans know that it hasn't been forgotten story wise, although they don't want to include it in the games anymore. Just like they had the berry blander game mentioned and shown but unplayable. And saying they remember it story wise but they think it's not interesting game wise anymore.

Last edited:

Again, they don't have to take as much time as they used to, because their staff has doubled since gen IV. So it's only natural they can release games faster, without those being incomplete.

The pokemon talking thing was just VERY time consuming, that's why he didn't do it. It's not like he rushed the games, it's just he realised that the feature wasn't worth the time investment.

About the BF sign, it was the way they could think of to honour/mention the Battle Frontier, and let fans know that it hasn't been forgotten story wise, although they don't want to include it in the games anymore. Just like they had the berry blander game mentioned and shown but unplayable. And saying they remember it story wise but they think it's not interesting game wise anymore.
I'm sure it'll return in Kalos since GF loves to go back on their word ( After all Masuda once said they would never do 3D).
Anyhow yearly games have hurt the franchise greatly and it's showing too so I'm glad they took their break so that they can go all out because now another barren postgame might not look too good with that Red Cat lurking around these days ( I'm referring to Yokai Watch) so GF needs to stop making excuses and step their game up before things get worse.

???

Everything you said is true. But the BF takes more time and effort to make in 3D than other features, and in proportion to the fans that want it (ACCORDING TO MASUDA).

I call bullshit on this. The BF shouldn't take that long to make, nor is it something that not a lot of fans would want. Maybe the casuals don't, but the vast majority of 3rd gen fans and other assorted core fans likely do.

Anyway, as far as Sinnoh goes, as long as they don't remove the following, I'll be satisfied with the content:

-Any of the areas that existed in DP
-Platinum's Sinnoh Dex expansion
-Contests
-Sinnoh Underground
-Vs. Seeker
-Poketch (they can trim out some of the useless apps though)
-Distortion World and Battleground would be nice as well, but not necessary.

If they can make all of that happen, they can do just about anything they want as far as I'm concerned.

I think the BF will be in the next game. It was originally featured in the end of Gen third version with the green dragon mascot, and we could see a repeat of that. They could have just cut it out of ORAS entirely, but they specifically put it their, referenced it, mentioned they recruiting brains and even said it will be done in the future, in a game we know is set before the next game.

Also when they hacked the Demo didnt they find remixed Battle Frontier music, why would they go and make those if they weren't going to include it at some stage?

I don't buy Masuda's logic, I think he just wanted an excuse because obviously he couldnt turn around and say, well its in the next game, so made something up to cover. I think they learnt from Gen 4, putting the BF in Platinum, meant they couldnt make a new one for Johto and don;t want to repeat that. I loved HGSS as my favourite game, but the copy paste BF wasnt great.

I mean, it just doesn't make sense if he was telling the truth, plenty of gamers were upset that it wasn't included, but on the flip side, i cant imagine any casual gamers being offended or demanding their money back if they see extra features at the end of their game. THey will either say "nah not for me" or "ok ill give it a go" no ones going to get mad, but people did get mad by not including it.

XY was full of battle facilities, like the maison, the chateau, and a few others im forgetting, not to mention the massive expanse that is Lumiose, so i really dont think the whole, BF would have taken too long to make fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom