• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters

Count Scarlioni

F Pokémon GO, M Mystery Dungeon, K the core series
Reaction score
No offence but had Mt. Pyre been a location in Alola and had GF decided to make Vulpix adapt there instead of Mt. Lanakila, Vulpix would have gotten a Ghost-type Alolan form. Marketing transcends logic in GF's eyes I'm afraid. You can't apply logic to all Alolan forms.
1) Not necessarily, because Vulpix (more specifically Ninetales, but still) already has supernatural aspects in its regular form. It already fits in with a spiritual place, whereas it would be jarring in an icy biome.

2) If you want to go down the road of could-have-been hypotheticals, we can perform custom rewrites on pretty much anything in the franchise in order to support virtually any argument. I'm only trying to look at it from the view of the games as they actually happened, and as we can clearly observe.

3) Practically speaking, I'm not sure there's much that you actually can apply logic to in Pokémon - it's a very loose, exaggerated reality that makes relatively few attempts to justify itself according to realistic standards, and marketing ultimately takes precedence over everything (see: Mega Mewtwo).

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I don't think that they would give Dialga and Palkia Origin Formes unless they actually allow the player to access their home dimensions, which I doubt will happen.

prog rocker

Reaction score
1) Not necessarily, because Vulpix (more specifically Ninetales, but still) already has supernatural aspects in its regular form. It already fits in with a spiritual place, whereas it would be jarring in an icy biome.
To tell the truth, I always thought that Ninetales should have been Fire/Ghost from the start, specially since most things I have seen with Ninetales focus on the "spiritual" part of it.

Count Scarlioni

Reaction score
To tell the truth, I always thought that Ninetales should have been Fire/Ghost from the start, specially since most things I have seen with Ninetales focus on the "spiritual" part of it.
Even the Pokédex gives it an origin story very similar to that of Spiritomb, saying that it came into being when nine saints merged into one.

Diamond & Pearl

Reaction score
The same could be said for Cubone and Marowak more or less, although not movepool-wise. Yet Marowak still received a Ghost form. In fact, a Ghost-type Alolan form for the Vulpix line should have been stimulated had it resided in a spooky area as Exeggutor's Alolan form is stimulated by being exposed to the sun oftenly. According to your reasoning, Exeggutor should not have gotten an Alolan form as it already fits in with a tropical habitat. It's actually completely the opposite. Stimulation also results into change. I find regular Exeggutor to be much more tropical-looking than I find regular Ninetales to be spooky-looking.

2) If you want to go down the road of could-have-been hypotheticals, we can perform custom rewrites on pretty much anything in the franchise in order to support virtually any argument. I'm only trying to look at it from the view of the games as they actually happened, and as we can clearly observe.
I find Vulpix trying to acclimate in a snowy area in a region like Alola to be very bizarre, but whatever. And where does that Fairy-type come from? Also whatever...

3) Practically speaking, I'm not sure there's much that you actually can apply logic to in Pokémon - it's a very loose, exaggerated reality that makes relatively few attempts to justify itself according to realistic standards, and marketing ultimately takes precedence over everything (see: Mega Mewtwo).
That's what identity crisis and lust for money combined do to a company. I'm specifically talking about Mega Mewtwo; disproportionate marketing...

Last edited:

Count Scarlioni

Reaction score
In fact, a Ghost-type Alolan form for the Vulpix line should have been stimulated had it resided in a spooky area as Exeggutor's Alolan form is stimulated by being exposed to the sun oftenly. According to your reasoning, Exeggutor should not have gotten an Alolan form as it already fits in with a tropical habitat. It's actually completely the opposite. Stimulation also results into change. I find regular Exeggutor to be much more tropical-looking than I find regular Ninetales to be spooky-looking.
That's a fair point. Personally, I would take your last sentence and contend that that's precisely why Exeggutor might be more affected by the sunlight in Alola (because it is literally a tropical plant that feeds on sunlight, so having more of that allows it to flourish), whereas a Ninetales in a spiritual environment is not similarly elevated (because the supernatural aspect of Ninetales is a comparatively less-prominent trait - it might help it to settle comfortably in a haunted environment, but that doesn't mean the available resources have dramatically increased (as in Exeggutor's case) or decreased, or that Ninetales has had to find a new way of surviving in a hostile environment, which is why it became an Ice-type in Alola), but at this point we're just dueling with our headcanons.

Diamond & Pearl

Reaction score
If we look at some Pokédex entries, Ninetales and Exeggutor are very similar cases, that being both having origins we're not familiar with. But yeah, I also guess this debate has reached its end.

BackSet

Cuter than You'll Ever Be✌
Reaction score
You can't get sued if the game doesn't get popular enough that Nintendo notices. That's what killed Project M.
Also I don't have programming skills. Nor do I have connections to people who do.

Champion Cynthia

Champion of Sinnoh
Reaction score
I had a dream where the Gen 4 Remake was announced in 2020, and the games were called Pokemon PastDiamond and FuturePearl, with a post game story called PresentPlatinum.

Yeah those names sound kinda odd but hey, it's Game Freak.

Weiss

Cold As Ice
Reaction score
Time to pull a Yandere Sim flex: get volunteers and work on the game over the course of 10 years!
I doubt Yandere Sim will ever release /sadface

I had a dream where the Gen 4 Remake was announced in 2020, and the games were called Pokemon PastDiamond and FuturePearl, with a post game story called PresentPlatinum.

Yeah those names sound kinda odd but hey, it's Game Freak.
I had a dream but it was called PurePlatinum

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I'm thinking that these games (if they are a part of Gen 8) might feature Dynamax and Gigantamax like how ORAS included Mega Evolution.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I hope not I want Gen 4 megas
Considering that Sword & Shield are taking out Megas, I find that unlikely unless X & Y are also getting remade, but I highly doubt that's happening.

Weiss

Cold As Ice
Reaction score
Considering that Sword & Shield are taking out Megas, I find that unlikely unless X & Y are also getting remade, but I highly doubt that's happening.
I agree it’s unlikely but it would make more sense IMO lore wise than to suddenly have Kaiju everywhere...

Although would this explain the giant Dragonite from episode 13 “Mystery at the Lighthouse” / マサキのとうだい/Masaki's Lighthouse?

Poke Dragon

The boundary between opposites.
Reaction score
I can see the whole Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing thing being influenced by Origin Dialga and Origin Palkia in terms of lore, much like how Mega Rayquaza took away the Primal forms from Groudon and Kyogre.