• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I can see how the Poffin cooking will work in the remake, probably like the curry for SwSh.

Also, the tweet picture of Masuda standing beside a cathedral in Southern France 2 years ago is likely research for the realistic designing for the Cathedral in Hearthome City.
However, it could be something for Galar itself. We'll never know until Sword & Shield come out.

Grass Type Gardenia

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
However, it could be something for Galar itself. We'll never know until Sword & Shield come out.
SwSh had been worked on since Gen 7 came out. Just like when ORAS is being made at the same time as XY after the release of Gen 5, It's not too difficult to assume that the Gen 4 Remake is being made simultaneously to SwSh.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
SwSh had been worked on since Gen 7 came out. Just like when ORAS is being made at the same time as XY after the release of Gen 5, It's not too difficult to assume that the Gen 4 Remake is being made simultaneously to SwSh.
However, there might not even be one.

BackSet

The Ace
Reaction score
I can see how the Poffin cooking will work in the remake, probably like the curry for SwSh.

Also, the tweet picture of Masuda standing beside a cathedral in Southern France 2 years ago is likely research for the realistic designing for the Cathedral in Hearthome City.
There was nothing in that Cathedral though.

SpinyShell

Setting shell traps
Reaction score
Well that's justified. It wasn't in the original Sinnoh games.
The Let’s Go games had character customization despite A) Yellow not having it and B) those games being super faithful to the original. I think it’s a possibility that we’ll see customization in DPPt remakes, but we won’t be able to purchase clothes just like in LGPE.

Grass Type Gardenia

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
The Let’s Go games had character customization despite A) Yellow not having it and B) those games being super faithful to the original. I think it’s a possibility that we’ll see customization in DPPt remakes, but we won’t be able to purchase clothes just like in LGPE.
Whatever the Gen 4 Remake will be, will probably surprise us all.

ORAS didn't have customisation like XY because it's in the early stages of 3D, but now that the 3D has improved, we can safely say that we could expect a lot more with the Gen 4 Remakes in a Gen 8 engine.

BackSet

The Ace
Reaction score
I kind of hope that the remake is top down. I fully admit I'm not a huge fan of Sun and Moon style. The best part of Sun and Moon was the top down town.

Grass Type Gardenia

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
I kind of hope that the remake is top down. I fully admit I'm not a huge fan of Sun and Moon style. The best part of Sun and Moon was the top down town.
Oh I dunno, It might be interesting to see Sinnoh as a more expansive Region. Imagine Eterna Forest, Spear Pillar, even the Distortion World with this kind of Gen 8 world.

BackSet

The Ace
Reaction score
Oh I dunno, It might be interesting to see Sinnoh as a more expansive Region. Imagine Eterna Forest, Spear Pillar, even the Distortion World with this kind of Gen 8 world.
Hopefully by that time they'll have perfected it.

It also gives them an excuse if it takes a long time because they'd have to completely rebuild parts of Sinnoh.

Grass Type Gardenia

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
I was just watching the gameplay for Sword and Shield, when near the end where the player was reaching the stairs, someone pointed out that you can hear the music sounding similar to a section in the Bicycle Theme for Diamond and Pearl.

Either this is a clever easter egg, since this is a similar tune used for the city theme (although it also sounds similar to Eterna City's theme), or this could be a prelude to there being a Gen 4 Remake coming in the not too distant future, possibly next year in 2020.

Last edited:

Kallyle

Nepgear is cute.
Reaction score
After having some time to think it over, while I would rather have Megas and/or Z-Moves (as they fit Sinnoh better), I’m coming to accept that it’s more likely that Game Freak will include Dynamax and Gigantamax in Sinnoh. I still don’t think you can just integrate them into the region’s culture and mythology without radically changing the region as a whole though (you can’t convince me that cosmic entities like Dialga and Palkia run on Earth’s “natural energy” like they claim the phenomenon’s source). Because of this, Game Freak might have to take a different approach to explaining how the mechanic got to the Sinnoh region.

And I think that it’s possible for someone to try and artificially create the Dynamax Phenomenon in Sinnoh: Charon from Platinum!

Charon’s role in Pokémon Platinum was pretty small in terms of plot influence compared to Looker (the other character introduced in Platinum), so having him do something with the region’s climate to trigger the Dynamax Phenomenon would make him more relevant to the plot rather than getting the bulk of his character being relegated to the post game.

Not only that, but having an evil team member introduce a mechanic into Sinnoh allows for a contrast to Galar: whereas the people of Galar celebrate Dynamax/Gigantamax, the people of Sinnoh will likely fear and detest it if only due to Team Galactic being the ones to bring it over.

What do you guys think of the idea?

prog rocker

Reaction score
Maybe it could work. After all, Charon was just... there in Platinum. Almost as if he was just there so that Mars and Jupiter had someone else to hate aside from the player, and to explain Rotom's formes (which you can't see without an event). Doesn't help that he even goes down without a fight.

Grass Type Gardenia

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
After having some time to think it over, while I would rather have Megas and/or Z-Moves (as they fit Sinnoh better), I’m coming to accept that it’s more likely that Game Freak will include Dynamax and Gigantamax in Sinnoh. I still don’t think you can just integrate them into the region’s culture and mythology without radically changing the region as a whole though (you can’t convince me that cosmic entities like Dialga and Palkia run on Earth’s “natural energy” like they claim the phenomenon’s source). Because of this, Game Freak might have to take a different approach to explaining how the mechanic got to the Sinnoh region.

And I think that it’s possible for someone to try and artificially create the Dynamax Phenomenon in Sinnoh: Charon from Platinum!

Charon’s role in Pokémon Platinum was pretty small in terms of plot influence compared to Looker (the other character introduced in Platinum), so having him do something with the region’s climate to trigger the Dynamax Phenomenon would make him more relevant to the plot rather than getting the bulk of his character being relegated to the post game.

Not only that, but having an evil team member introduce a mechanic into Sinnoh allows for a contrast to Galar: whereas the people of Galar celebrate Dynamax/Gigantamax, the people of Sinnoh will likely fear and detest it if only due to Team Galactic being the ones to bring it over.

What do you guys think of the idea?
The removal of Megas and Z-Moves is due to how broken it is.

* Mega Evolution - This form requires a Mega Ring and Mega Stones to a specific Pokemon that it holds. When a Pokemon Mega Evolves, it stays in that form throughout the entire battle. Only one Pokemon can Mega Evolve in each battle.

* Z-Moves - This requires a Z-Ring and Z-Crystals which a Pokemon holds, so that it could perform a special move. One one Pokemon can use a Z-Crystal in each battle.

With Dynamaxing/Gigantomaxing, it fixes all that by allowing one Pokemon to Dynamax and only lasting 3 moves. The hold item of Pokemon are also free.

One person made a video indicating that Giratina is responsible for Dynamaxing because it is a distortion from the Distortion World, and that one of Arceus's plates did mention Giants that it defeated. So it could be that Dynaxing could play a role in Sinnoh in some shape or form.

But as you said about Megas and Z-Moves, GF have truly messed up big time with this decision. For shame.

Poke Dragon

The boundary between opposites.
Reaction score
I honestly expect a gap year after all the Gen 8 games have been done, much like how it was the case with Gen 6.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I honestly expect a gap year after all the Gen 8 games have been done, much like how it was the case with Gen 6.
That would just be too late, considering the fact that GF has now released Pokemon games in 5 consecutive years and the existence of the Gear Project.