• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
That rebuttabdoesn't even make sense.
If customization is included, then that's what will happen. Also, Sinnoh's town layouts would have to be drastically redesigned because they weren't designed with customization in mind.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
If customization is included, then that's what will happen. Also, Sinnoh's town layouts would have to be drastically redesigned because they weren't designed with customization in mind.
Why are you purposefully ignoring the answers to all of this provided in the thread already?

At this point, no offence, it feels like typing to nothingness to put it politely.
Again, just merge the Pokemart and Pokecenter and stuff a boutique in the remaining place.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
If customization is in this game and the original protags are kept, I think that customization will be as barebones as it was in LGPE.

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
I don't think that Game Freak would let us tamper with their iconic designs, considering that ORAS didn't have character customization at all.
I don’t think GameFreak is worried about letting the players “tamper with their iconic designs,” because of the fact that Dawn and Lucas will be redesigned so it’s not like they’ll have their iconic designs anyway and because, well, I don’t think GameFreak cares about design iconicness. I’m pretty certain the reason we didn’t get customization in ORAS was because it wasn’t in the originals. However, the fact that LGPE, a game that’s very faithful to the original, has customization gives me hope that we’ll see it in DPPt remakes. I figure by now GameFreak realized that not allowing customization in ORAS was a mistake.

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
Apologies for the double post.

Also, Sinnoh's town layouts would have to be drastically redesigned because they weren't designed with customization in mind.
I don’t think the town layouts will have to be “drastically redesigned” in order to accommodate boutiques. There’s plenty of buildings, especially in major towns, where you can’t enter—couldn’t GameFreak just convert one into a boutique?

Also, I’m sure the towns will have to be redesigned anyway in order to line up with SwSh’s towns, including adding more buildings to make it more realistic. Wouldn’t be hard to fit in a boutique.

red sphere
Reaction score
I don’t think the town layouts will have to be “drastically redesigned” in order to accommodate boutiques. There’s plenty of buildings, especially in major towns, where you can’t enter—couldn’t GameFreak just convert one into a boutique?

Also, I’m sure the towns will have to be redesigned anyway in order to line up with SwSh’s towns, including adding more buildings to make it more realistic. Wouldn’t be hard to fit in a boutique.
Sinnoh's town layouts need to be redesigned anyways if they're going to have the SwSh style.
If they don't want to merge Pokemarts, they could also just add another floor to a department store or some building in Jubilife and use it as the one boutique for the whole game like in LGPE. Then nothing needs to change. They can make it so that you can unlock clothes as you get more badges or something. I don't see how the addition of one building would be a super drastic change in the remake, either.

Honestly, with the way SWSH seems to be looking, I'd prefer drastic town redesigns. Anything faithful to DPPt would easily be a downgrade from everything we've seen in SWSH previews. They have the potential to make Sinnoh look livelier and more detailed than ever, and I fail to see why they wouldn't to it.

Last edited:
Aromatherapy
Reaction score
I think that DPPt remakes should be on the level of SwSh if they’re going to be main series Generation VIII titles, in regard to customization and other features. This will mean changing things like area layouts, but given that we’re going from 2d grid based DS graphics to 3D 360* Switch graphics change is necessary.

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
I think that DPPt remakes should be on the level of SwSh if they’re going to be main series Generation VIII titles, in regard to customization and other features. This will mean changing things like area layouts, but given that we’re going from 2d grid based DS graphics to 3D 360* Switch graphics change is necessary.
That certainly didn't make them budge with LGP/E.

I'd love to believe that they will go all-out with a DPPt remake, but they didn't even do the bare minimum with a GB Pokemon remake, and still sold it as a $60 game on the Switch all of the same.

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
That certainly didn't make them budge with LGP/E.
I figure GameFreak didn't update LGPE because it would sell insanely well irregardless of the quality due to having a nostalgic pull DPPt doesn't have, and because they wanted to keep the games as faithful to the original as possible. I don't think it will be the same thing for DPPt, hopefully.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I don't think that they would change too much to avoid alienating people that are nostalgic for the originals.

Reaction score
The nostalgia > modernisation problem is common in all video game remakes, unfortunately. People would love to see a remake of Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly that includes everything the developers wanted to include, but that's never going to happen because that's not why companies make remakes.
Also, wasn't the company that made Enter the Dragonfly dead, making it harder (if not impossible) to do that?

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter because the rights to the Spyro IP always belong to the publisher. My point was that companies don't want to fix bad games, or fix the flaws in good/decent games. Even in HeartGold and SoulSilver, a bunch of Gen 2 Pokémon still have 1% encounter rates (eg: Yanma and Marill), when they didn't in Crystal.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter because the rights to the Spyro IP always belong to the publisher.
Well, I was talking about the design documents that could be lost, meaning that we don't know exactly what was lost. Then again, in recent years we have seen footage of various cancelled Spyro projects, including ones that were unrevealed until that time, so there's a chance.
My point was that companies don't want to fix bad games, or fix the flaws in good/decent games. Even in HeartGold and SoulSilver, a bunch of Gen 2 Pokémon still have 1% encounter rates (eg: Yanma and Marill), when they didn't in Crystal.
I think that's kinda problematic, but at the same time I can get why, considering how people react to change. On the otherside, I have not seen a company try to take a middle ground, seeing how some companies actually try to change too much (like with happened to the Lufia II remake).

Reaction score
Aromatherapy
Reaction score
I figure GameFreak didn't update LGPE because it would sell insanely well irregardless of the quality due to having a nostalgic pull DPPt doesn't have, and because they wanted to keep the games as faithful to the original as possible. I don't think it will be the same thing for DPPt, hopefully.
For what it’s worth, LGPE isn’t a main series title and it does a number of things (completely changing encounter and catching mechanics, different art style, different continuity, and so on) that would not be done for a main series game.

All past main series remakes have kept up with the visual and technical standards of their respective generation, and so I would expect the same from a DPPt remake in Generation VIII.

There is no guarantee it will happen since Generation IV -> VIII would be the biggest leap in the technical department yet (even more so than III -> VI), but if they don’t keep up with SwSh they would be failing to meet the standard set by all their past main series remakes.