• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • ME continues berating people in this next exciting episode of his Platinum Lets Play. Watch it here.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I think Darkrai might be the one getting Delta Episode Deoxys treatment this time. Also makes sense since weirdly enough it’s counterpart and supposed equal is a legendary and not mythical.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
I think Darkrai might be the one getting Delta Episode Deoxys treatment this time. Also makes sense since weirdly enough it’s counterpart and supposed equal is a legendary and not mythical.
I think Darkrai and Cresselia could work as version exclusive legendaries. In fact, if I’m not mistaken that might have been the original plan for them before Darkrai got a dedicated movie. Maybe the Member’s Card can function like the Eon/Infinity Ticket this time around and let you access the opposite version exclusive.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
I wonder if the use of Action Replay etc to unlock event content might have put them off using that set up for event Pokémon.

Consoles are sophisticated enough now that they could theoretically add them as more of a DLC patch so that the content is only there if you've genuinely received the event, but I guess could be more hassle than it's worth for them.
I hadn’t considered technical concerns like that affecting how event exclusives are handled, hmm. Then again hackers could get their hands on anything within the game’s coding whether it comes with an event or not, right? Or could it be concerns over content that wasn’t supposed to be revealed until later getting data mined and shared around the world as soon as games are released.

Whatever the case, I think that at this point Arceus is the only Generation IV event exclusive that should stay that way. Not only is having four legendaries unobtainable through normal gameplay a bit excessive, but I doubt Generation VIII will give us a movie starring Darkrai, Shaymin or Manaphy (They did make a Mew movie for FrLg and a Celebi movie for HgSs but did squat for Jirachi or Deoxys come OrAs), so I can’t see a good reason to withhold them anyways.

And with those three, the Regi trio + Regigigas, Heatran, Dialga or Palkia, Giratina, and the Lake trio, Sinnoh would have so many legendaries available in game that I really see no need to include any others.

Reaction score
And I don’t care that the Hall of Origin event was never actually distributed in Generation IV, remakes should include it regardless. It’s such a cool event that it would be a shame to pass it up. And meeting the mythical creator of everything ought to have more fanfare than simply having it handed to you by a delivery boy in the Pokemon Center.
This is Game Freak we're talking about.

I would love for the Arceus event and the Distortion World to be included in the remakes, but since OR/AS completely ignored the additional Emerald content, I wouldn't exactly count on it.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score

I would love for the Arceus event and the Distortion World to be included in the remakes, but since OR/AS completely ignored the additional Emerald content, I wouldn't exactly count on it.
Well, it’s fun to dream...

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score

They have to otherwise the Regional Dex would just be a paltry 151.

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
I prefer Isshu to Unova since I prefer the games to stay away from real-world references, namely american.
M A X I M U M W E E B

I also fear that they would be too conservative with these remakes.
I'm also afraid of GameFreak being too conservative, and now that I think about it, it's likely this will happen. The most change I can see is a wider Pokedex and a few minor tweaks. Having to turn Sinnoh's 2D grid into a fully-fleshed out 3D world seems like too much work for GameFreak when they could easily just slap some 3D paint on DPPt and it'll sell well irregardless. Why bother improving something when you can just rely on nostalgia? Let's Go already proved you can do basically the minimum and still turn a nice profit.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
M A X I M U M W E E B

I'm also afraid of GameFreak being too conservative, and now that I think about it, it's likely this will happen. The most change I can see is a wider Pokedex and a few minor tweaks. Having to turn Sinnoh's 2D grid into a fully-fleshed out 3D world seems like too much work for GameFreak when they could easily just slap some 3D paint on DPPt and it'll sell well irregardless. Why bother improving something when you can just rely on nostalgia? Let's Go already proved you can do basically the minimum and still turn a nice profit.
Nothing will top the original pop culture milestone that was Generation I (which might extend to II if you’re being generous) so I’m inclined to count LGPE as something of an exception. Everyone cares about Kanto, but only dedicated fans care about Sinnoh for the most part.

But I do admit that remaking DPPt is more questionable than any of the past main series remakes so far. Going from Generation IV to VIII would be more demanding than any previous generational leap, and on top of that there are practical concerns that didn’t even exist until now such as the “not programming every species into every game” thing.

But that won’t stop me from daydreaming about it...

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
but only dedicated fans care about Sinnoh for the most part.
While Kanto definitely has a greater fan-base than Sinnoh, I'd say more than just dedicated fans care about it. I mean, when GameFreak released those "Visit ____" videos prior to the reveal of SwSh, the "Visit Sinnoh" one had received the most attention out of all the regions, beating out even Kanto. While it is in no way as mainstream as Kanto, I'd say a decent amount of regular and casual fans care about the region and wish to see it remade in 3D.

But I do admit that remaking DPPt is more questionable than any of the past main series remakes so far. Going from Generation IV to VIII would be more demanding than any previous generational leap, and on top of that there are practical concerns that didn’t even exist until now such as the “not programming every species into every game” thing.
Very true.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
Considering the bigger picture of main series remakes, I just realized that each one has added more demands atop the last:

Fire Red Leaf Green: Improved graphical and sound quality
Heart Gold Soul Silver: Improved graphical and sound quality, second screen, wi fi connectivity
Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire: Improved sound quality, second screen, wi fi and Street Pass connectivity, 3D models and animations, Amie, Mega Evolution
(Cyan Diamond Magenta Pearl) Improved sound quality, 3D models and animations, reworked map, Amie/refresh, Poke Jobs/Pelago, customization, replace HMs, reworked regional Poke Dex

So I find it hard to say how long this will keep up. Many are thinking that GF have gone downhill in recent years, but part of me wonders if that’s simply due to not keeping pace with technical progress that’s accumulated over time. It’s 2019 on the Switch and they’re still using the basic formula initially developed for the Game Boy in 1996.

The complete absence of downloadable content is conspicuous to me. I‘m no gamer myself, but were there other major 3DS franchises that wouldn‘t give compatibility patches for XY and OrAs, or between SM and UsUm? Were largely identical follow up versions like UsUm even a thing for other series in the 3DS era? I’m starting to wonder how much of the usual Pokémon formula might be outdated at this point.

But again, that won’t stop me from daydreaming about it. Generation IV is the one I am most personally attached to, so it’s something I like to imagine.

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
(Cyan Diamond Magenta Pearl) Improved sound quality, 3D models and animations, reworked map, Amie/refresh, Poke Jobs/Pelago, customization, replace HMs, reworked regional Poke Dex
I feel expectations for DPPt remakes would have Camp instead of Amie/Refresh, and only have Poke Jobs instead of both Pelago and Jobs, and would include new Gigantamax forms, a post-game story related to Giratina or even Arceus, and Sinnoh variants besides all the other things you listed.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
I feel expectations for DPPt remakes would have Camp instead of Amie/Refresh, and only have Poke Jobs instead of both Pelago and Jobs, and would include new Gigantamax forms, a post-game story related to Giratina or even Arceus, and Sinnoh variants besides all the other things you listed.
I don’t think Camping and Poke Jobs would be in DPPt remakes as both those mechanics are tied to the setting of Galar. Camping if I recall correctly relies on the Wild Area, which I can’t see being implemented 1:1 in Sinnoh as Mount Coronet is taking up the center of the map. Jobs meanwhile is connected to Galar’s industrial scene.

But I do think those mechanics could work in Sinnoh if tweaked to fit the setting. The Underground could host the Jobs/Pelago equivalent as well as the Secret Base aspect of Camping. The playing with all your Pokémon out at once aspect of Camping could be in Amity Square, while the Curry aspect could be retooled into Poffins.

I can also see Corviknight Taxi being replaced by Drifblim since it’s described in game as liking to carry people around.

I would like a post game story for Giratina and the Distortion world in a similar vein to what Rayquayza got in AsOr. In fact, I would prefer that over doing the Heatran plot from Platinum, Heatran doesn’t need much of a setup anyway.

And I somewhat doubt they would create new regional variants for an already established region, but anything’s possible I suppose.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Considering the bigger picture of main series remakes, I just realized that each one has added more demands atop the last:

Fire Red Leaf Green: Improved graphical and sound quality
Heart Gold Soul Silver: Improved graphical and sound quality, second screen, wi fi connectivity
Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire: Improved sound quality, second screen, wi fi and Street Pass connectivity, 3D models and animations, Amie, Mega Evolution

So I find it hard to say how long this will keep up. Many are thinking that GF have gone downhill in recent years, but part of me wonders if that’s simply due to not keeping pace with technical progress that’s accumulated over time. It’s 2019 on the Switch and they’re still using the basic formula initially developed for the Game Boy in 1996.

The complete absence of downloadable content is conspicuous to me. I‘m no gamer myself, but were there other major 3DS franchises that wouldn‘t give compatibility patches for XY and OrAs, or between SM and UsUm? Were largely identical follow up versions like UsUm even a thing for other series in the 3DS era? I’m starting to wonder how much of the usual Pokémon formula might be outdated at this point.

But again, that won’t stop me from daydreaming about it. Generation IV is the one I am most personally attached to, so it’s something I like to imagine.
It's not surprising at all that each game is adding more demands on the last, that's simply the nature of a tech driven market like gaming. Because developers constantly want consumers to buy the next product, they have to make it better and better in order to convince them to abandon their old product for the new one. And that's exactly what's wrong with Game Freak right now, they're not offering better and better, they're pretty much just playing a zero sum game removing old features in favor of new ones. Which would be great if the old games were actually still on the market for people that want those removed features, but since they aren't, it just makes the games feel lacking. So yeah, the entire issue is that the industry is leaving them behind, not that they've suddenly gotten worse.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Which didn't stop them from doing exactly that with Let's Go.
Except it would be worse for Sinnoh, considering that many of the Pokemon would be completely locked out. Also, there were 493 Pokemon at the time of DP. I don't think that players would want to only have Ponyta as a Fire-type option if they didn't pick Chimchar.

On a journey to become whole again.
Reaction score
The thing is, Dexit wouldn't have started if they included the data for all Pokemon. The things I blame the most are Game Freak's way of handling data. There's no reason to have multiples of the same character model just to show up at different points of the story. The 3DS Gen 7 games are the prime example of this issue, instead of only having two Lillie models, one for each different look, they instead decided to have multiple copies of both even though they could've easily saved data space by just having the right model appear at the right point in the story, no need for copies to do that.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
Keep in mind that in the original DPPt, once you beat the game every species (except for past generation starters and legendaries) in existence at the time was made available some way or another.

The species appearing as standard wild encounters and used by NPC trainers (outside the Battle Tower/Frontier) in the Battle Zone would have to be included in addition to the ones found in the main game’s area, I suppose.

As I said before, I think the main reason LGPE got away with being so basic is because it’s remaking the original pop culture sensation Kanto games. I doubt remakes for any other generation (besides maybe II if we’re being generous) would get cut that kind of slack.

And the DP 150 or even Platinum’s 210 is a prohibitively small selection by current main series standards, especially once Dexit is factored in.