• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Let's Go wasn’t the start of the Dexit policy though (even though it resembles that a lot), and it was the specific original 151+Meltan line theme of the game that caused the policy.
I fail to see the distinction between the two.

I'm kind of dreading this tbh. I don't want GF to remake this and then butcher it.

Nepgear is cute.
Reaction score
Given that Dexit means that Game Freak has no reason to keep compatibly anymore in terms of game mechanics, is is possible that Sinnoh might scrap Dynamax/Gigantamax or even get its own power-up/gimmick int its place? It doesn't hurt to prepare for anything at this point.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
We might get more of an idea what to expect once Sword and Shield are released, but for now I think these are the bigger questions if DPPt are to be remade in Generation VIII:

• How much will the map be changed to match SwSh’s environments, or to accommodate a Wild Area.
  • Will the selection of Poke mon available in the main game be changed, and how will the post game selection be handled now that there is no National Poke Dex.
  • How will connectivity between Cyan Diamond Magenta Pearl and the rest of Generation VIII work

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
I fail to see the distinction between the two.
  • The selection of 150 in LGPE were the only ones in existence let alone catchable in game at the time of Generation I. DPPt’s Regional Index of 150 or 210 does not even come close to encompassing everything catchable in game or in existence at the time of Generation IV.
  • LGPE also removed held items and abilities, as well as had a different catching mechanic, wild encounters, and art style, all changes which were ignored for Generation VIII.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
The early buy bonus for Sword & Shield being Meowth rather than a Sinnoh starter makes me think that we're not getting Sinnoh remakes this gen.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
The early buy bonus for Sword & Shield being Meowth rather than a Sinnoh starter makes me think that we're not getting Sinnoh remakes this gen.
I don’t think that alone says much. We’ll see

As far as I can recall XY had no indication of Hoenn besides mega Blaziken, and Mega Latios and Latias in the code.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Looks like we now know who Leon's true Ace actually is with Gigantomax Charizard, alongside Diantha's Mega Gardevoir. But since Steven's Metagross has a Mega Metagross in the Gen 3 Remake, could it be that Cynthia's Garchomp would have a Gigantomax Garchomp in the Gen 4 Remake?

Lance: Dragonite (Dragon/Flying)
Steven: Metagross/Mega Metagross (Steel/Psychic)
Cynthia: Garchomp/Gigantomax Garchomp (Dragon/Ground)
Alder: Volcarona (Bug/Fire)
Diantha: Mega Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy)
Leon: Gigantomax Charizard (Fire/Flying)

Leon also shares the same Ace as Red, although he isn't considered a Champion, but a strong trainer.

Last edited:
Aromatherapy
Reaction score
Looks like we now know who Leon's true Ace actually is with Gigantomax Charizard, alongside Diantha's Mega Gardevoir. But since Steven's Metagross has a Mega Metargoss in the Gen 3 Remake, could it be that Cynthia's Garchomp would have a Gigantomax Garchomp?

Lance: Dragonite (Dragon/Flying)
Steven: Metagoss/Mega Metagoss (Steel/Psychic)
Cynthia: Garchomp/Gigantomax Garchomp (Dragon/Ground)
Alder: Volcarona (Bug/Fire)
Diantha: Mega Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy)
Leon: Gigantomax Charizard (Fire/Flying)

Leon also shares the same Ace as Red, although he isn't considered a Champion, but a strong trainer.
It seems likely, but if that’s the case then Dynamax would have to be implemented in Sinnoh. Well, Mega Evolution was in AsOr. I’m guessing that the starters and prominent species like Lucario, Luxray and Weavile might also get Gigantimax then, as well as maybe something akin to Primal Reversion for Dialga and Palkia.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Given that Dexit means that Game Freak has no reason to keep compatibly anymore in terms of game mechanics, is is possible that Sinnoh might scrap Dynamax/Gigantamax or even get its own power-up/gimmick int its place? It doesn't hurt to prepare for anything at this point.
I think the gimmick would be an advance of what Rowan studies- Evolution! What if we take evolution a step further? Evolution beyond evolution that requires extreme bonds to achieve with extreme power ups? It could maybe even surpass the three Pokémon evolution line! Maybe make it last during a single battle...

As for its name what about... er... Mega Evolution?

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
P.S. Not meaning to be condescending, but I'm too pendatic for my own good and apologise in advance and I sincerely don’t mean to insult anyone's spellings since I’m not a native speaker and know the pain myself, but the mechanic's called GigantAmax, not Gigantimax or Gigantomax...

Its a complex name imo, and being spelled wrong makes me dislike it more...

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
P.S. Not meaning to be condescending, but I'm too pendatic for my own good and apologise in advance and I sincerely don’t mean to insult anyone's spellings since I’m not a native speaker and know the pain myself, but the mechanic's called GigantAmax, not Gigantimax or Gigantomax...

Its a complex name imo, and being spelled wrong makes me dislike it more...
English grammar makes spelling and pronouncing made up words pretty difficult, doesn’t it... oh the pronounciations for all the hundreds of made up words and names in this franchise

(I assumed it came from “gigantic + max”)

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
English grammar makes spelling and pronouncing made up words pretty difficult, doesn’t it... oh the pronounciations for all the hundreds of made up words and names in this franchise

(I assumed it came from “gigantic + max”)
I still think the name could’ve been better, my vote goes to Gigamax, and calling the forms G-Max forms like the moves: like G-Max Corviknight.
"Gigantamax" sounds needlessly complex imo.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I think the gimmick would be an advance of what Rowan studies- Evolution! What if we take evolution a step further? Evolution beyond evolution that requires extreme bonds to achieve with extreme power ups? It could maybe even surpass the three Pokémon evolution line! Maybe make it last during a single battle...

As for its name what about... er... Mega Evolution?
I don't think that Megas are coming back unless Kalos becomes relevant again.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Since Game Freak is being more secretive this generation, I can see why they wouldn't want to make a Sinnoh starter a gift Pokemon in SWSH
However the only thing that seems to give it away is from what Pokeshopper reported of there being a lot of Gen 4 merchandising for 2020.

Reaction score
I fear that if they do that the games would become Sword & Shield but set in Sinnoh rather than a true Sinnoh remake.
The remakes used to be really simmilar to the originals. I don't believe they will go full Sword/Shield for them.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I don't think that Megas are coming back unless Kalos becomes relevant again.
I just think the disconnect might indicate Megas return and Dynamax doesn’t. Kalos doesn’t need to be relevant since it wasn’t really that prominent in the Hoenn Mega storyline. It just seemed the perfect mechanic for Sinnoh for pretty obvious reasons. I’m not counting on it but it might happen.