• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Thing is, Game Freak clearly wants to push out a game every year, that's why they created Let's Go in the first place.
It would eventually cause them to become tired and creatively drained, which we're already seeing with Sword & Shield.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
It's their choice to do so
It's also one of the reasons why they created the Gear Project in the first place. It's clear that they want to work on other games too. I don't think that we're going to see Sinnoh remakes for another four years anyways.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
It might not even be a remake, but something else instead.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
It might not even be a remake, but something else instead.
You keep mentioning something else? Exactly what is this something else other than maybe a Let's Go game (and anyways a Let's Go Sinnoh game would neither appeal to the LG target audience nor the one wanting SInnoh remakes).

So care to elaborate on this something else?

Nuzlocke Lover
Reaction score
I'm with Riley. I also don't see a Sinnoh remake for quite some time. I also hope that we don't get a Sinnoh remake. Because that will just continue the cycle. Next there'll be demand for a Unova remake, then Kalos, then Alola. When will it end?

But Game Freak being Game Freak, they don't have the courage to break away from tradition.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
I'm with Riley. I also don't see a Sinnoh remake for quite some time. I also hope that we don't get a Sinnoh remake. Because that will just continue the cycle. Next there'll be demand for a Unova remake, then Kalos, then Alola. When will it end?

But Game Freak being Game Freak, they don't have the courage to break away from tradition.
They did with SM and also with SwSh.

Gen 4 Remake seems likely for next year due to what Pokeshopper has pointed out, that there is going to be a lot of merchandising on Sinnoh stuff for next year.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I also hope that we don't get a Sinnoh remake. Because that will just continue the cycle. Next there'll be demand for a Unova remake, then Kalos, then Alola. When will it end?
Well... what’s wrong with that? It’s pretty clear they’re still doing new things like Let's Go (even though the new mechanics aren’t to my taste) and it’s nice to give a chance to people to experience the region they played with upgraded graphics and animations now.

Besides, thats kinda unfair if Kanto gets remade twice (thrice due to GSC) while the other regions don’t even get remade once.
I'd like to see remakes for the 2D games definitely, but I think it’s too early to speculate about the 3D game remakes yet.

The best defense is a good defense
Reaction score
The fact that I'm reading people discussing about Gen 4's remakes does make me feel myself old. The good old times in 2006 XD. I hope we're getting D/P remakes in the coming year. Gen 3's remakes (ORAS) and Gen 2 ones (HG/SS) were excellent experiences to me. All they need to do is keep the same game formula, and add the improved gaphics.

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
It would eventually cause them to become tired and creatively drained, which we're already seeing with Sword & Shield.
I fail to see how GameFreak and/or Sword and Shield are "tired and creatively drained." Can you elaborate on what you mean by that?

Are remakes really that bad of a thing? As secondary pairs, they serve to breathe some fresh air into the generation, as well as give fans of the region an updated version to play with. I'd much rather take (traditional) remakes over Ultra versions any day.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
Wherever the franchise goes in the future, I feel like DPPt are the last of the classic era main series games. From Generation V onward they’ve done more to change the formula and become more international, and from Generation VI onward they’ve made the transition to 3D and started relying more on recycling past content (Mega, Gigantamax, regional forms for preexisting monsters, more references to past games).

Speaking of which, I wasn’t initially around for Generation III but playing Alpha Sapphire made me realize how much Pearl was lifting from those games.

As for future releases. I’m no gamer or computers expert myself, but I have to wonder if follow up versions like Emerald or Platinum are an outdated concept since updates and new content can be downloaded post release nowadays.

Reaction score
I don’t think GameFreak is worried about letting the players “tamper with their iconic designs,” because of the fact that Dawn and Lucas will be redesigned so it’s not like they’ll have their iconic designs anyway and because, well, I don’t think GameFreak cares about design iconicness. I’m pretty certain the reason we didn’t get customization in ORAS was because it wasn’t in the originals. However, the fact that LGPE, a game that’s very faithful to the original, has customization gives me hope that we’ll see it in DPPt remakes. I figure by now GameFreak realized that not allowing customization in ORAS was a mistake.
Glad they saw that quickly. Something like that shouldn't be exclusive to regions. I can get contests being something just in one region, after all we don't have a football (American) Stadium in any other country besides our own (I think, I could be wrong) but changing our clothes, I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure we all change our outfits on a daily basis. Da ****?

On a journey to become whole again.
Reaction score
Since the introduction to DLC, follow-up versions of any franchise have become increasingly unrealistic to stay, heck Fire Emblem: Three Houses literately has three versions inside itself. The only reason why it persisted into the 3DS is that the 3DS was only the testing grounds for more advanced digital downloads when it came to the eShop. If it couldn't handle GBA games very well, then it won't be able to handle substantial DLC at all, the technical limitations just wouldn't allow it.