• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • The forums' software will be updated on December 9th, 2019 and may be down for several hours to multiple days for this process. Thank you for your patience, we hope this update will improve your experience here.

Why not join us over on discord during the downtime?

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Since the introduction to DLC, follow-up versions of any franchise have become increasingly unrealistic to stay, heck Fire Emblem: Three Houses literately has three versions inside itself. The only reason why it persisted into the 3DS is that the 3DS was only the testing grounds for more advanced digital downloads when it came to the eShop. If it couldn't handle GBA games very well, then it won't be able to handle substantial DLC at all, the technical limitations just wouldn't allow it.
The only DLC GF has ever made since Gen 6 are updates to fix bugs in the games.

Reaction score
after all we don't have a football (American) Stadium in any other country besides our own (I think, I could be wrong)
I live in Costa Rica and we do have an American Football team, but I don't know if they have a stadium somewhere. Then again, considering they ignore every single sport that it's not soccer in my country, I don't know if they even have done anything at all.

Reaction score
Since the introduction to DLC, follow-up versions of any franchise have become increasingly unrealistic to stay, heck Fire Emblem: Three Houses literately has three versions inside itself. The only reason why it persisted into the 3DS is that the 3DS was only the testing grounds for more advanced digital downloads when it came to the eShop. If it couldn't handle GBA games very well, then it won't be able to handle substantial DLC at all, the technical limitations just wouldn't allow it.
Yeah so I'm hoping for some free dlc updates like outfits, and when it comes to a 3rd version I'd rather a 20 dollar dlc expansion over 60 for the same story.

I would love dlc that lets us visit parts of old regions, like the battle frontier, or spear pillar with a story event that happens there.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
I live in Costa Rica and we do have an American Football team, but I don't know if they have a stadium somewhere. Then again, considering they ignore every single sport that it's not soccer in my country, I don't know if they even have done anything at all.
I can see GF getting away with Gen 9 being based on Spain, since the Gym Stadiums would be based on the Bull Wrestling Arenas.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
So I’m guessing there won’t be follow up versions to SwSh as their own separate releases, since there‘s no reason the Switch can’t handle that as DLC right? I mean USUM were released as separate games anyway, but there’s even less excuse for that now that we’re on a significantly more powerful console.

I‘m still guessing DPPt remakes are a year or two away at this point, but anything’s possible I suppose.

Reaction score
I've had the feeling that the regular Gen 4 remakes might never come out (or be worked on), mainly due to the disappointing reception to ORAS (inclusion of Gen 6 features, removal of the Battle Frontier). And if they DO come out, it's in the form of a Let's Go game (as far as we all know, the sales of it are hinting a Gen 2-themed sequel).

Reaction score
Not to dig up old topics but every region is meant to resemble a real world place and reference real world things.
Until Gen. V, I always though of PKMN as a reimagination of Japan only and made by Japanese and I was ok with it, but with Gen. V, they started to get inspired in other regions, so I started to not like said references. For example, I think that Isshu was a wasted opportunity to have Lt. Surge background info updated as coming from Isshu, as well as Fantina to be from Kalos in Gen. VI. What's the point of refering to real-world countries when then you have a region based in those?

Reaction score
So I’m guessing there won’t be follow up versions to SwSh as their own separate releases, since there‘s no reason the Switch can’t handle that as DLC right? I mean USUM were released as separate games anyway, but there’s even less excuse for that now that we’re on a significantly more powerful console.

I‘m still guessing DPPt remakes are a year or two away at this point, but anything’s possible I suppose.
Just like there was no need for UMUS and we got it (read: enhanced and paired versions), I believe that if GF and TPC find that it profitable, we'll have follow up versions. DLC have been arounf for a long time and GF had the opportunity to use it but have not done it. LGPE could still be alive with the release of new content (Sevii Islands, etc) by DLC and GF hinted at checking how the games would fare to see if it wold receive extra content and what we got?, a cheap reference/reward in SwSh.
I believe the remakes will come at this same time by next year.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
Until Gen. V, I always though of PKMN as a reimagination of Japan only and made by Japanese and I was ok with it, but with Gen. V, they started to get inspired in other regions, so I started to not like said references. For example, I think that Isshu was a wasted opportunity to have Lt. Surge background info updated as coming from Isshu, as well as Fantina to be from Kalos in Gen. VI. What's the point of refering to real-world countries when then you have a region based in those?
I remember an extra at the World Tournament in B2W2 suggesting that Lieutenant Surge was from Unova.

As for Fantina. If I recall correctly her speech was peppered with English phrases in the Japanese version, so they had to change it to another language (French) to keep consistency in the English release I guess.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think they‘ve really referenced real world locations since Generation I or II, note that Kanto is the only region named after a real place.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
I remember an extra at the World Tournament in B2W2 suggesting that Lieutenant Surge was from Unova.

As for Fantina. If I recall correctly her speech was peppered with English phrases in the Japanese version, so they had to change it to another language (French) to keep consistency in the English release I guess.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think they‘ve really referenced real world locations since Generation I or II, note that Kanto is the only region named after a real place.
In Japanese, Fantina could be from Galar, whilst in English, some would think she's from Kalos. She could be from both since Galar and Kalos are very close.

"Stop winning!" "Make me!"
Reaction score
disappointing reception to ORAS
ORAS didn't have a dissapointing reception. Aside from the too much water meme, 7.8 isn't a terrible score all things considered, gamestop gave it a 4.5/5, according to Google, 95% of google users liked it, both games got 4.5 stars on amazon, ans Game Informer gave them an 8.75. All in all the critical and fan reception was overwhelmingly positive or at least average.

On a journey to become whole again.
Reaction score
I have said this before and I'll say it again, Game Freak would be too stupid to do the Sinnoh remake as Let's Go styled. There are two major reasons why this is the case, the first one is that they would only be able to re-use the region for the longest time once. Game Freak obviously tries to squeeze as much money as possible from their games, it is evident due to Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee existing despite already there being a Kanto remake in the form of FireRed and LeafGreen. The second reason is that for a Sinnoh remake to obtain the type of popularity, it cannot be the simplified Let's Go version and that's because Kanto and Johto really are the only two regions popular enough to be able to get popularity for a simplified version. Either way, it's a lose-lose situation if Game Freak goes for a Let's Go style remake for Sinnoh first.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
If Generation IV does get remade I want them to take advantage of the fixes and improvements made in Platinum this time. I’m aware OrAs mostly ignored Emerald (which was a mistake), but there‘s a number of reasons why it‘s even more important to do so here:

• Make the selection of species available in the wild and opponent’s rosters during the main game at least as broad as it was in Platinum. DP’s selection was among that game’s greatest flaws, and there’s no good reason to recreate that.
  • Use the esthetic improvements and additions from Platinum since the Switch visuals will require more detail anyway
  • Use the practical improvements such as making Gible accessible first trip to wayward cave as well.
  • Add Looker and Charon/Pluto. Looker has become such an important character in the main series that his debut shouldn‘t be ignored, and Pluto should be at least acknowledged since he’s key to Rotom’s alternate forms. Especially considering that alternate Rotoms have been getting more attention lately in Generation VIII.
  • At this point you might as well use the Platinum script. The only things that will need to change are the climax at Spear Pillar and a few bits of dialogue concerning the cover legendary, everything else is essentially the same. Plus it adds more dialogue, more interactions with Cynthia and Cyrus, and makes the order of the Gyms more linear all of which is closer in line with how the main series tends to be these days anyways.

Reaction score
Add Looker and Charon/Pluto. Looker has become such an important character in the main series that his debut shouldn‘t be ignored, and Pluto should be at least acknowledged since he’s key to Rotom’s alternate forms. Especially considering that alternate Rotoms have been getting more attention lately in Generation VIII.
You know, I was going to say that excluding Charon would be easy since not a lot of people care about him his role in the story was minimal even by Pokémon standards, but his ties to Rotom would make him necessary to be in the game, or at least aknowledged.

The busiest bee
Reaction score
Maybe a Platinum-esque Giratina subplot would be the best place to put Charon, assuming they don't just write him out of the game completely. It'd probably give him some bigger purpose in the plot other than just being....there.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
Needless to say the alternate Rotom forms shouldn’t be locked behind event distribution this time around, considering they’ve been made available in game ever since. Oh, and make Rotom catchable first time going into the Old Chateau as well (or in other words use the Platinum selection like I’ve been saying).

If they include the Generation VIII Rotomi PC or such features, I’d like some story bits around that in addition.

Aromatherapy
Reaction score
Maybe a Platinum-esque Giratina subplot would be the best place to put Charon, assuming they don't just write him out of the game completely. It'd probably give him some bigger purpose in the plot other than just being....there.
Originally he did have a role with the Stark Mountain plot, but that’s one addition from Platinum I would not mind being gone in remakes. I feel Heatran is best left as a surprise, and if there’s to be a post game Giratina plot then there is no need for that story anyways.