• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I'm really concerned about the content in these games, considering what the games are like nowadays.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
So for reference, here's all of the Pokemon that didn't make the cut in SwSh:

Some statistics here:

-488 Pokemon cut in total
-118 of the Pokemon cut are in Platinum's Sinnoh Dex.
-As a consequence of the above two points, the remakes' dex would need to be about 600 to incorporate all of the Pokemon that weren't in SwSh.
-47(DP)49(Pt) of the Pokemon not found in Platinum's Sinnoh Dex were found in the wild through standard encounter methods (that is, Pokemon appearing in tall grass/water/caves without the need for any special mechanics to trigger them) in DPPt's post game areas (there are a few differences in encounters between the two versions, so the counts are different).
-127 of the Pokemon not in the Galar or Platinum Sinnoh Dex are in the Johto Dex (Meltan/Melmetal may also be in the Johto Dex in LG Johto as they were in the LG Kanto Dex).
-119 of the Pokemon of the Pokemon cut are starters, legendaries, or UBs. 26 of these are in the Johto Dex (Meltan/Melmetal may also be in the Johto Dex in LG Johto as they were in the LG Kanto Dex).

So I highly doubt all of these will be in the Sinnoh Dex. If SwSh only came out to 400 with a longer development time, DP remakes probably aren't including the remaining 488. SwSh + DP remakes + LG Johto might stand a better shot, but even that seems to be a stretch especially when LG Johto will probably only stick to the original 251 plus maybe Meltan/Melmeltal. If we do get all 3, I could see them getting away with all three minus the 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th gen starters and legendaries, but that's about it. We're probably looking at 300-400 for the new Sinnoh Dex at this point which would be even less Pokemon than there were in the original DP. The Galar Dex being only 400 really hurts this whole situation.

Passionate (Let's) Go Hater
Reaction score
Leaky calculation
First off - wasn't it stated that Game Freak has no plans for another Let's Go game at the moment? So I'm not sure we could/should expect one. I for one would be glad if Let's Go was a one time thing and could be forgotten anyway.

I'm agreeing that it's unlikely that all the cut Pokémon will instead make it to the Sinnoh dex, yet I hope that they have the least overlap possible as the games would not be compatible to trade & battle either way, so might as well take advantage of that by including as much Pokémon in DP remakes as possible that were not in SwSh.
And seeing how much Sinnoh Pokémon are missing in the Galar dex, something along those lines might just be the plan.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
First off - wasn't it stated that Game Freak has no plans for another Let's Go game at the moment? So I'm not sure we could/should expect one. I for one would be glad if Let's Go was a one time thing and could be forgotten anyway.
I didn't hear that, but I would be happy if that was the case as well. If LG Johto isn't a thing, another possibility could be a third version/sequel/whatever to SwSh with an expanded Galar Dex.

I'm agreeing that it's unlikely that all the cut Pokémon will instead make it to the Sinnoh dex, yet I hope that they have the least overlap possible as the games would not be compatible to trade & battle either way, so might as well take advantage of that by including as much Pokémon in DP remakes as possible that were not in SwSh.
And seeing how much Sinnoh Pokémon are missing in the Galar dex, something along those lines might just be the plan.
That's basically what I was getting at with my calculations, yeah.

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
With how Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus all have two forms, I just can't see an enhanced version for Sword and Shield coming out in the near future. Heck, maybe there won't be an enhanced version for Sword and Shield at all since it looks like it the first pair of games will have everything an enhanced version usually has.

Reaction score
One thing is good we got a grass physical sound move and
Gigantamax Lapras got a G-max ice sound move.

Hmmmm, electric/poison will be the Lucario of this generation with probably poison and electric sound moves that could be used in future by other pokemon.

Hmmm steel elephant looks like it could learn and use sound moves too, maybe a steel physical sound move?
____

Gen 4 remakes could be used to show some new G-max because Deoxys and meteorites...
imagine Deoxys changing forms via a G-move?
or getting a mega form with a move to change forms?
Some relation with Eternatus must be taking that Deoxys had a rivalry with Ryquaza.
And Arceus and Eternatus relation must be revealed somehow...
There could be some sacred places in Sinnoh taking the Disortion world...
Also that shadow Giratina form needs a ingame battle meaning.
Hmmm it will be hard for fans and creators... interesting what would polls say about what gimmick do we like more and what would we want for our favorite starters?

Hmmm the legendaries, 3 dragons , Arceus and Hetran...
"Titan" forms?

Gigants and Titants where rivals of the greek Gods...

Maybe they will give them a mix imagine G-max or combined with mega for 3 turns... or some will get this and some that? G-max Arceus could get a nice move upgrade.
For some legendaries it would make sense.
For regular pokemon? I think way too much,

gen 4 will go back to megas introduce more new megas rather then D-max and G-max...
Gen 4 could give us megas for starters to gen 4 and 2...
Taking that I rather liked they changed type, ability and stats and not only their appearence, hp and one move. Maybe thats when Flygon will shine.

Also with new evolution methods maybe some Sinnoh pokemon could get new natural evolutions via moves and items? Possible... not only megas can be there...

I would rather want to see in gen 8 sequel how they implement
Megas vs ( D and G-max) vs some signature Z-moves for those Alolans in Galar...
Whats stronger a Mega of a Giganta form? would be nice to see that kind of battles actually.

For me would be a cool if Megas would be not able to D/G-max and if D/G-max would not be able to Mega form. Would make sense to seperate the gimmicks.

Hmm maybe thats why they didnt make too much of them? to make more G-forms for a sequel for Galar? The famele profesor could find a way to activate G-forms via Y-ring and a item in natural way similar to megas... this way some pokemon like Galar starters and some chosen pokemon could get their forms without the Raid battles too? Maybe some starters like Torterra, Feraligatr when switched over to Sw&Sh sequel from gen 4 remakes could get what Pikachu and Evee got?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does anyone think that their should be regional forms and evolutions added to the Sinnoh Dex assuming they use the platinum dex for the remake (because of the fire type problem)?

Reaction score
Does anyone think that their should be regional forms and evolutions added to the Sinnoh Dex assuming they use the platinum dex for the remake (because of the fire type problem)?
Yes, particularly for Gen 5 Pokemon onwards at least.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
I can definitely see that happening. Regional variants fits right in with Game Freak's tendency to have region specific features, so that's one thing I can see being a series mainstay. And since evolution is a major part of Sinnoh's identity to the point where Professor Rowan studies it, it would only make sense for there to be more in the remakes. And they're clearly okay with putting new forms in remakes seeing as ORAS had Megas, so the idea is definitely plausible.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if they could even get away with putting Sinnohan forms in the main game? They seem to generally avoid doing that because of nostalgia, but there were multiple complaints about them not expanding the Hoenn Dex in ORAS (beyond the 9 cross gen evos) because of variety issues, so if they've been listening to those complaints, they might be working on a compromise. Adding new Sinnohan variants to the main game would be a good way since they're new but they'd be considered natives as opposed to random species from other regions, so they might go for expanding the variety with some extra regional variants.

Reaction score
As long as they put regional variants on one side of Sinnoh and the normal forms on the other side, I'm happy since that actually implies that Mt. Coronet did have a major influence on the Pokemon.

Reaction score
I can definitely see that happening. Regional variants fits right in with Game Freak's tendency to have region specific features, so that's one thing I can see being a series mainstay. And since evolution is a major part of Sinnoh's identity to the point where Professor Rowan studies it, it would only make sense for there to be more in the remakes. And they're clearly okay with putting new forms in remakes seeing as ORAS had Megas, so the idea is definitely plausible.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if they could even get away with putting Sinnohan forms in the main game? They seem to generally avoid doing that because of nostalgia, but there were multiple complaints about them not expanding the Hoenn Dex in ORAS (beyond the 9 cross gen evos) because of variety issues, so if they've been listening to those complaints, they might be working on a compromise. Adding new Sinnohan variants to the main game would be a good way since they're new but they'd be considered natives as opposed to random species from other regions, so they might go for expanding the variety with some extra regional variants.
maybe a good idea would be giving regional forms to Pokémon that could be caught through the GBA insertion in the original games like Growlithe, Ursaring, or Arbok. That would make for a nice reference only hardcore fans would understand.

Reaction score
maybe a good idea would be giving regional forms to Pokémon that could be caught through the GBA insertion in the original games like Growlithe, Ursaring, or Arbok. That would make for a nice reference only hardcore fans would understand.
That would compensate for me the lack of Regional Arbok formes, you know, the Pokémon that technically started that.

The Ghost of Tsushima
Reaction score
I can see a lot of Johto regional forms too as a nod to HGSS. Like maybe an Ice/Flying Noctowl (or maybe not since they're already in the dex?) or Grass/Fire Sunflora.

As long as they put regional variants on one side of Sinnoh and the normal forms on the other side, I'm happy since that actually implies that Mt. Coronet did have a major influence on the Pokemon.
Feels like Sinnoh was destined for regional variants lol. Shellos and Gastrodon don't really sell the east/west side concept well on their own.

digging holes
Reaction score
I remember gen 4 was always the hardest generation for me to play through. Me and my shitty teams always had trouble with at least half the Sinnoh gym leaders, and I remember it being absolute hell for me to get past Lucian and Cynthia.

And I hope to god it stays that way in the remakes because it's fun. But I doubt it'll happen.

Imagine steamrolling through Cynthia's team in the remakes using your overlevelled 'mons because Game Freak didn't let us turn the EXP share off again.

They better rebalance any potential remake around that, or else I will be one very angry Tood.

Edit: no

So uhh

Maybe they can add regional evolutions to Pokemon already in the Sinnoh dex? Like maybe give Chimecho or Sudowoodo a new form/evolution that would make me catching and evolving all those baby Pokemon a bit more worthwhile.

I've always wanted to see more of the fossil Pokemon too, but I don't know how you'd give any of them another "Sinnohian" form or anything like that...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Imagine steamrolling through Cynthia's team in the remakes using your overlevelled 'mons because Game Freak didn't let us turn the EXP share off again.

They better rebalance any potential remake around that, or else I will be one very angry Tood.
Believe it or not, even overleveled, Cynthia gave me a fight. No wonder she's the strongest Champion.

Reaction score
Between Dexit, what others have already said about how Diamond & Pearl would have to be completely re-imagined to work within SwSh's 3D overworld, and some important lore behind the Dynamax phenomenon (which I won't go into detail about here because I don't want to spoil it for you guys)...I would be very surprised if Sinnoh remakes on the Switch had the same level of overlap with SwSh as ORAS had with XY.

Instead, I predict the games will be much closer to LGPE - they'll use a similar sort of 2D/3D graphics engine, only the 210 Pokémon originally in the Platinum Sinnoh Dex will be coded in, and they will effectively live in their own alternate canon timeline.

Reaction score
Between Dexit, what others have already said about how Diamond & Pearl would have to be completely re-imagined to work within SwSh's 3D overworld, and some important lore behind the Dynamax phenomenon (which I won't go into detail about here because I don't want to spoil it for you guys)...I would be very surprised if Sinnoh remakes on the Switch had the same level of overlap with SwSh as ORAS had with XY.

Instead, I predict the games will be much closer to LGPE - they'll use a similar sort of 2D/3D graphics engine, only the 210 Pokémon originally in the Platinum Sinnoh Dex will be coded in, and they will effectively live in their own alternate canon timeline.
Sounds good to me, as long as that keeps Dynamax/Gigantamax out of Sinnoh.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score

I don't think that's happening unless it actually is a Let's Go game.