• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • AussieEevee continues his perilous adventures in Johto. Watch his HeartGold Nuzlocke here.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Between Dexit, what others have already said about how Diamond & Pearl would have to be completely re-imagined to work within SwSh's 3D overworld, and some important lore behind the Dynamax phenomenon (which I won't go into detail about here because I don't want to spoil it for you guys)...I would be very surprised if Sinnoh remakes on the Switch had the same level of overlap with SwSh as ORAS had with XY.

Instead, I predict the games will be much closer to LGPE - they'll use a similar sort of 2D/3D graphics engine, only the 210 Pokémon originally in the Platinum Sinnoh Dex will be coded in, and they will effectively live in their own alternate canon timeline.
I don't think that's happening unless it actually is a Let's Go game.

Reaction score
Oh god, please don’t let it be another fucking let’s go game. That would be real good way to have Gamefreak reputation in tatters after dexit.
GameFreak said they don't have any plans for another Let's Go game.

So, to quote Dawn...no need to worry.

I will admit the explanation AsOr gave for Mega Evolution/Infinity Energy in Hoenn and attempting to tie it to the context of XY was pretty awkward and nonsensical. I would have rather they said “Mega Stones are meteorites with special powers” and left it at that.

Likewise, if Dynamax is going to be in DPPt remakes I would rather have the explanation be “it’s caused by the Distortion World breaking through to our world” than any attempt to fit it to the context of SwSh.
This is kind of what I was getting at.

If the remakes are indeed going to have a lot of similarities to SwSh, one thing I've been wondering about is: Will the Sinnoh League be revamped to be like the Galar League with Stadiums, League Cards, etc.? If I had to guess I'd say probably not, because all of that was specifically inspired by the UK's Premier League, and DPPt had an actual Elite Four rather than an elimination-style tournament to determine the Champion. But if that's the case, then how will they explain the area restrictions on Dynamax (Stadiums & the Wild Area) if it carries over? Are we supposed to just assume that the Gyms in this alternate Sinnoh were built 100 feet taller to accommodate Dynamaxing & Gigantamaxing? Will Mt. Coronet more or less take the place of the Wild Area & feature Max Battle Raids?

Last edited:
Reaction score
In light of Sword Shield, I am not exactly excited for this anymore. However, I do look forward to seeing fan-made games/artworks involving a Sinnoh revisit. I believe therein lies the future of the Pokemon series, not Gamefreak.

Reaction score
I can see the remake's main excuse for being made is the fact that more than half of the pokemon are being removed in Sword and Shield, so they can use the remakes of Gen 4 to add back a lot of the pokemon that were removed. And this is not a new thing. Firered and Leafgreen were used to add back a lot of the pokemon that were removed with the cut off between Gen 2 and 3.

They make a remake of games that people have been asking for years AND add back the pokemon that were removed in Sword and Shield, pacifying most of the people that were pissed with the Dexit controversy. Win-win for them.

Last edited:
Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I don't think that Sinnoh would be drastically changed and essentially turned into a clone of Galar.

Pretense
Reaction score
They would definitely sacrifice the regional design if they used SwSh-style graphics, but I doubt they would get rid of the grid.

Pretense
Reaction score
You can't have it all. They won't spend more than two years on any remake, so if they want the graphics to be like SwSh's, it will come at a price.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Changing the graphics to Sword & Shield's graphics would also make them able to include trainer customization in the game.

"Stop winning!" "Make me!"
Reaction score
Changing the graphics to Sword & Shield's graphics would also make them able to include trainer customization in the game.
Aren't you always talking about how it's not possible for us to get trainer customization in Sinnoh?

Reaction score
I don't think Dynamax could fit in Sinnoh. Your giant Raichu can't fit in a regular Gym. Megas make more sense, but we know Game Freak likes to let us down.

If they aren't planning on another Let's Go, maybe it means Let's Go Johto will come after Sinnoh. Or maybe Johto won't get a remake since they seem to barely care about it.

I don't think Unova remakes will be skipped because BW can't be played on the Switch or its successor.

Reaction score
I also don't think it would make sense to have Sinnoh régional varients for Pokémon From other Japanese regions.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
I also don't think it would make sense to have Sinnoh régional varients for Pokémon From other Japanese regions.
Regional variants for Sinnoh would just mean everything becomes an Ice-type due to the cold and snow everywhere.

Which we really don't need since pretty much every Fire-type that got a regional got turned into an Ice-type already.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Regional variants for Sinnoh would just mean everything becomes an Ice-type due to the cold and snow everywhere.

Which we really don't need since pretty much every Fire-type that got a regional got turned into an Ice-type already.
I think that it could be the opposite, with many Pokemon becoming Fire-type so they could better survive the harsh winters.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I think that this game will probably introduce new regional variants.

On a journey to become whole again.
Reaction score
As long as the new regional variants are from Pokemon not included in any of the Sinnoh games' dex, I'm okay with it. In fact, I think it would be great if Pokemon of both regional variants and their normal forms would appear in the same game in a similar style to the Gastrodon line.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I don't think Dynamax could fit in Sinnoh. Your giant Raichu can't fit in a regular Gym. Megas make more sense, but we know Game Freak likes to let us down.
It would but they would have to make the Sinnoh League more like the Galar League.