Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
looking forward
Reaction score
I would probably expect things like an always on EXP share, your team being healed at many points throughout the game, many of the challenging puzzles being simplified (although, this one is due to HMs being gone), etc.
I expect to be teleported a lot more, too. Like after meeting Cyrus in Celestic town, they just teleport you to Jubilife City's west exit so you don't get lost on your way to Canalave or something. I'm also hoping that some of the gym puzzles make it into a remake intact; Sinnoh had some of the best gym designs in the series, in my opinion.

I wonder if GF will rebalance the game if they keep the EXP share on? I want to remain hopeful they will, but I honestly doubt it given their apparent stances and difficulty regarding SwSh. DPPt always seemed to have a decent level curve to me (up until Cynthia, kind of), so I reeeeally don't want it to be as easy as some players are finding SwSh right now.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I expect to be teleported a lot more, too. Like after meeting Cyrus in Celestic town, they just teleport you to Jubilife City's west exit so you don't get lost on your way to Canalave or something. I'm also hoping that some of the gym puzzles make it into a remake intact; Sinnoh had some of the best gym designs in the series, in my opinion.

I wonder if GF will rebalance the game if they keep the EXP share on? I want to remain hopeful they will, but I honestly doubt it given their apparent stances and difficulty regarding SwSh. DPPt always seemed to have a decent level curve to me (up until Cynthia, kind of), so I reeeeally don't want it to be as easy as some players are finding SwSh right now.
Cynthia will probably be made easier anyways because Fairy-types now exist.

Here's a number I had saved just for this!
Reaction score
You mean by giving her more Poison or Steel types to better combat Fairies?
That or just make her more powerful.

Type advantages are nothing in comparioson to being 10 levels above the competition.

looking forward
Reaction score
You mean by giving her more Poison or Steel types to better combat Fairies?
IIRC, she had a Lucario and a Roserade in her party already during her first match already, so she already has some possible counters against fairies. If they go with the Platinum roster, she also gets a Fairy-type in Togekiss, which I guess would also count as a buff?

I also don't really remember Steven's Metagross being that much easier to deal with in ORAS than in RS, despite Steel no longer being resistant to Dark and Ghost in gen 6, so it's possible fairies might not even change much about Cynthia's difficulty at all.

Highly Explosive
Reaction score
IIRC, she had a Lucario and a Roserade in her party already during her first match already, so she already has some possible counters against fairies. If they go with the Platinum roster, she also gets a Fairy-type in Togekiss, which I guess would also count as a buff?

I also don't really remember Steven's Metagross being that much easier to deal with in ORAS than in RS, despite Steel no longer being resistant to Dark and Ghost in gen 6, so it's possible fairies might not even change much about Cynthia's difficulty at all.
I don't think Cynthia's fight will be any easier in of itself. I think the main reduction in difficulty will come from overleveling due to the always on exp share, if GameFreak decides to continue to make it non-optional.

looking forward
Reaction score
I don't think Cynthia's fight will be any easier in of itself. I think the main reduction in difficulty will come from overleveling due to the always on exp share, if GameFreak decides to continue to make it non-optional.
I know, I'm referring to the other poster's implication that she may be easier because of fairies. It's not like she doesn't already have counters, so fairies shouldn't be what affects the challenge that much.

The EXP share will 100% be the thing that messes up the remake for me, if anything. That and removing that stupid mining minigame I love too much

Reaction score
Seriously how are you people overlevling. I'm still getting my ass kicked here on route 4.

looking forward
Reaction score
Seriously how are you people overlevling. I'm still getting my ass kicked here on route 4.
Are you referring to SwSh?

I'm not overlevelling in that game; I've been deliberately avoiding battling and catching so I wouldn't be. The last gym leader I fought was 4 levels above me, so I'm probably not leveling enough, honestly. It seems that a lot of those who catch all that they see are being overlevelled though, since catching giving EXP and the party-wide EXP share lead to overlevelling really fast if you're not careful. I just kind of noped out of the Wild Area for that reason. Opinions on difficulty seem to be mixed based on what your playstyle is, at least from what I've seen.

I don't want to restrain myself to have difficulty in any remakes.

Reaction score
I've been avoiding overworld pokemon because oh my god it's boring to know what I'm going to fight. Like, okay, I caught the pokemon I want. Now there's a bunch of others. I'll just avoid them because I don't care. But when the random shaky grass shows up, I go straight fir that because I don't know what's gonna show up.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Her team will likely be...

Spiritomb: Ghost/Dark
Roserade: Grass/Poison
Togekiss: Fairy/Flying
Milotic: Water
Lucario: Fighting/Steel
Garchomp: Dragon/Ground (Gigantamax Form)

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I wonder what'll happen to Wayward cave and Mt. Coronet since it’s pretty clear they won’t make it to the remakes as it is...

I hope Distortion World doesn’t become a beautiful-but-glorified hallway like the Ultra Megalopolis (or some SwSh cities according to reviews). I really want to see it in its full 3D glory and them experimenting with the no-laws-of-physics-followed concepts.

And I wouldn’t bet on Dynamax making it to the games 100% since it seems to be highly specific to Galar, 10x more than Z-Moves to Alola... Not to mention that the main place Dynamax can be used in Galar (gyms) would require a massive redesign in theme for Sinnoh, enough to conflict with the central themes of the games.

Dynamax stadiums are a thing in Galar thanks to the celebrity culture there. Would it really fit the more myth focused and down to earth Sinnoh? The games are becoming more and more disconnected with each other, and if Dexit remains a thing in Sinnoh remakes, they won’t be compatible with Sword and Shield anyway, already forcing a disconnect between them.

Reaction score
Mega Evolution and/or Z-moves fit Sinnoh more than Dynamax. I could make up a whole bunch of Sinnoh myths surrounding Mega Evolution/Z-Moves.

Hey, if we don't get Sinnoh Remakes by the beginning of gen 9/the sinnoh remakes turn out to be disappointing, anyone wanna come up with our own fan version? I'd be game.

Reaction score
At this point, with everything I've seen and heard about the Sword/Shield, I really want the remakes to be as traditional/close to the originals as possible. I agree with @PkmnTrainerV that the (likely) difference in the Pokémon available between Sword/Shield and the remakes, as well as how Dynamaxing seems to be specifically designed for Galar (and for Galar only), kind of creates some sort of disconnect, so I'm actually not expecting this mechanic to make its way over to Sinnoh anymore. Hopefully I'm right. Of course, this doesn't mean that Mega-Evolution will return to fill this void, although that would make sense given Rowan's research focus. The only things I'm definitely expecting to return are regional forms and (unfortunately) the always-on Exp. Share.

On another note, I hope that (aside from the lower difficulty due to being overleveled because of said Exp. Share issue) the remakes will be as challenging as the originals, especially with regards to the region's location design (most notably Mt. Coronet, Stark Mountain, Wayward Cave). Another thing I don't think would fit Sinnoh would be removing HMs and replacing it with PokéRide.