• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arceus needs some boost to place him above Mega Rayquaza.

I mean, "needs" is a strong word. "Who has the biggest BST" is just a dick-measuring contest that doesn't actually gauge a Pokémon's nuanced battle potential, and now it's all made kind of moot by Eternatus blowing beyond past what we thought the ceiling might be. So even if Super-Arceus outmatches Mega Rayquaza, it'll still look puny in the face of Eternatus's death claw, unless they also give Arceus something like that, but that wouldn't be usable in battle, so what's the point? Frankly, Arceus is already quite powerful as it is, and something like Mega Ray just laughs at the notion of game balance. So does it really "need" it, or do fans just want it because they think the lore is cool?

Not that I think GF won't give it a power overdose, mind.

Meet you halfway? We'll get new Dynamax forms for Sinnoh pokemon. I predict that we'll finally get something for Luxray.

I'm a bit split down the middle here. I think Gigantamax forms feel like a perfect fit for the actual mascots of the games. On a mechanical level, they all have associated held items already, and while I guess they could rework those items to function like, say, the Ultranecrozium Z, I feel like that would conflict somewhat, especially for Giratina and Arceus, because it would render Altered Giratina and Normal Arceus kind of redundant. Whereas Gigantamax requires no held item and therefore gets around that issue completely, allowing you to use Giratina either way you want or to put items other than Plates on Arceus. Furthermore, the way that G-Max Moves come coupled with unique secondary effects seems like an appropriate way to illustrate those Pokémon's reality-warping capabilities.

And then thematically, there's the whole thread of "How much of the myths are true?" Remember what Cynthia said in Platinum: "Dialga's Roar of Time...Palkia's Spacial Rend...To the people back then, those Pokémon really must have appeared to rule over time and space. Seeing them must have shaken the people to their very core. This painting represents those feelings of awe, wonder, and everything else. It passed that memory to countless people, eventually becoming a myth..."

First, note the emphasis on their signature moves. I think that could easily be adapted as a reference to their G-Max Moves. Furthermore, ancient people who witnessed Dialga and Palkia would be damn sure even more in awe of them if they were capable of turning into these giants. Plus, I think Dynamax being a projection rather than actual physical enlargement works as a nice metaphor for the process of mythologization. Were Dialga and Palkia really as all-powerful as the myths say? Who knows. Due to the exaggeration, embellishment, erosion, and mutation of the tales over many generations, what we're left with today is just a projected image of the past. It can affect us, but we can't see into the core of it.

Meanwhile, I'm glancing right now at a picture of all the Gen 4 Pokémon. And other than the mascots, I'm just not sure that Gigantamax forms are a natural fit. Granted, I neither expect nor really care for Mega Evolution to refeature here, but what exactly would the concept for G-Max Luxray be? I think the Gen 4 Pokémon as an aesthetic group already have a propensity for lots of lines and spike details, and indeed, one of the ingredients for Mega Evolution is overdesign. A Mega Luxray with static-raised fur all over, glowing eyes, maybe some sabreteeth, and a pointy chin is something I could definitely see.

Last edited:
Or Dialga and Palkia can get their own Origin forms for them to match up with Giratina. I do kind of want Arceus to get a more powerful form just so it can be the most powerful Pokemon again. I feel like it should get an ability that prevents battle-only transformations on the opposing Pokemon, that's the only way I can see Arceus being the most powerful again without increasing the stats too much.
I don't think that Dialga and Palkia can have Origin forms because they're not personifications of antimatter like Giratina is.

They can actually have Origin forms because they have their own dimensions.
However, I believe that they don't because time and space actually exist in our world. Oh, and it's also not very marketable because it would only switch their offensive and defensive stats.

However, I believe that they don't because time and space actually exist in our world. Oh, and it's also not very marketable because it would only switch their offensive and defensive stats.
You underestimate the marketability of Dialga and Palkia, they have potential of having different stats to suit their movepool. Platinum already showed Dialga and Palkia coming out of portals, which proves that they have their own dimensions.

You underestimate the marketability of Dialga and Palkia, they have potential of having different stats to suit their movepool. Platinum already showed Dialga and Palkia coming out of portals, which proves that they have their own dimensions.
I don't think it would make any notable changes, especially considering that Dialga's Attack and Defense are the same. It's just not marketable at all.

I don't think it would make any notable changes, especially considering that Dialga's Attack and Defense are the same. It's just not marketable at all.
It's totally marketable to have Dialga's Speed increased and Palkia getting more defensive.

It is a problem because it's hard to market it when compared to special Gigantamax forms.
Gigantamax forms aren't special anymore since that's also given to non-legendaries. Flashy gimmicks don't equal marketability every time.

If GameFreak thought like you then they would've kept Megas and Z-Moves in Sword & Shield and possibly even add new ones.

GameFreak didn’t remove Megas and Z-moves because people were sick of them. Heck, many people wanted more Megas. They removed them because having all three gimmicks might have been difficult to handle and, my guess, is that they also didn’t want to create models for the Megas nor animate the Z-moves.

What Giratina has an origin form and becomes a centipede thing with no legs and has tendrils. I wish they did primal dialga and Primal Palkia instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom