• With COPPA coming into full effect, the comments section and notifications for our YouTube videos are disabled. Not to worry, though, you can keep up with the latest episodes for all our ongoing series and provide your comments in the Bulbasocial section here.
  • NMLewis heads into the Petalburg Woods. Watch here and sing along as he hums his way through the Hoenn region.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
On a journey to become whole again.
Reaction score
They could even make Dialga and Palkia available in both versions. It was possible in Gold and Silver (and HeartGold/SoulSilver) to catch both cover Legendaries in both games, after all. But if Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are anything to go by, they'll again ignore most of the improvements that came with the "director's cut" and stick to the original games' content only.
Something like the version mascot is the one where you catch during the main story while the opposite mascot could only be caught in the postgame is something I would've liked to see Pokemon do for a while. But as things look like currently, I doubt that will be the case.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
The remake, with how SwSh ended up, will most probably be a remake of Platinum, Catching Giratina, but with each mascot Pokemon you can only get in Post-Game.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
The remake, with how SwSh ended up, will most probably be a remake of Platinum, Catching Giratina, but with each mascot Pokemon you can only get in Post-Game.
I don't think that they would make these games Sword & Shield but set in Sinnoh.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I mean storywise with Eternatus being the first catch instead of the Legendaries which you catch post game.
I don't think that they would do it like that because I think that this game would mostly ignore Platinum's story elements like ORAS ignored Emerald's.

Reaction score
The Ultra Beast lore makes too much sense in Sinnoh compared to the Dynamax/Gigantamax thing, but they attached “warping space/time” to Eternatus’ bio... At this point I don’t really know for certain what happens- I just hope it isn’t handwaved meh explanation for Gigantamax to be in Sinnoh and coincidentally have most of the power spots be in gyms.

The mega evolutions explanation with Rayquaza felt quite organic: I think it would be a bit too forced if every Gym in Sinnoh was somehow home to a Power Spot.
Or maybe the Gyms were built to be over Power Spots?
Or Dynamax won"t be in Gyms. No Gym Leader had a Mega after all.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
They only ignored Emerald's story because the focus of the games were the two opposing teams, something that was not present in Platinum.
However, that does not mean that they have to include Platinum's story elements. HGSS was the only remake that actually added story elements from the third version, and back then Game Freak had a totally different design philosophy.

Reaction score
However, that does not mean that they have to include Platinum's story elements. HGSS was the only remake that actually added story elements from the third version, and back then Game Freak had a totally different design philosophy.
And that was only because they were the only games at the time where they could do that.

Reaction score
FRLG didn't, and ORAS didn't, so it's clear that they don't have to incorporate story elements from the third version.
Like I said, it's because Crystal is the only with elements that they could incorporate. FRLG didn't include elements from Yellow thanks to walking Pokémon being hard to do at the time (or at least, I think so seeing how GBA hackers still don't know how to really do them) and friendship being an universal mechanic and Ruby and Sapphire depended too much on Team Magma and Aqua to even consider making it difficult to adapt Emerald.

Platinum doesn't have any of those problems, so I don't see why not.

Reaction score
They may not include Platinum elements just because. They seem to just do stuff on a whim. Our opinion means nothing for them.
Also, Sinnoh is def getting casualized.

Riley is right that there will never be a game wih all mons. They called it a new direction and why would they change their minds when they are rolling in money?

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
They may not include Platinum elements just because. They seem to just do stuff on a whim. Our opinion means nothing for them.
Also, Sinnoh is def getting casualized.

Riley is right that there will never be a game wih all mons. They called it a new direction and why would they change their minds when they are rolling in money?
Plus after SwSh, they would want to make the DP Remakes as dumb down as possible.

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics
Reaction score
SwSh wasn't that dumbed down.

Even with the exp share I still had trouble. That may also be because I'm pathetic, though.

On a journey to become whole again.
Reaction score
So, how do you think they will rework the Adamant and Lustrous Orbs? It's entirely possible for them to change their mechanics given how the Red and Blue Orbs were changed to allow Primal Reversion for Kyogre and Groudon. I personally think they will make the Adamant and Lustrous Orbs act just like the Griseous Orb.

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
SwSh wasn't that dumbed down.
The exp share was always on and if you didn't restrict yourself you'd get incredibly overleveled easily. Very few important trainers healed their Pokemon. Most trainers had 1-2 Pokemon while the gym leaders at most had four. Several trainers had Pokemon with only three moves. Free heals everywhere (most notably during the "storming the evil base" sequence). The game itself is incredibly linear, meaning that there's very little chance to get worn down to the bone. Granted, this issue may not have stemmed from a desire to make the games easier, but it still lowers difficulty.

Compared to gen 7, which was challenging at times (Guzma anyone?), this game is definitely dumbed down.