• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Megas do come back, then 1. That would be as much of a surprise as the bike returning in SWSH when that wasn’t seen since Gen 6. And 2. What is the point of Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing? They realize that they’ve wasted too many great opportunities, or are they just rushing SWSH out so to make Gen 4 the best remake of all. I’m sorry, but does ORAS ring the bell to what we would expect for the finished game?

One
Calm... The bike was only gone for 1 game. And I suppose it just didn't work culturally in Alola? No one really cycles in Hawaii.
1 Gen you mean. Plus there’s no reason of getting rid of Megas from SwSh when other regions have it.

Plus there’s no reason of getting rid of Megas from SwSh when other regions have it.
Yes there is: to allow the devs more time and resources to put other Pokémon into SwSh rather than models for an old gimmick. If you’re only willing to put in half of all Pokémon models into your game, why waste spots on a previous gimmick that would most likely see very little use?

Join the misguided fantasy. You know you wanna.
Now you're beginning to sound just like me only last year when I had high expectations to what SWSH could have, only for that to be shattered into splinters when the Press Conference, E3 and the game was released. They clearly rushed the games, took out Megas and Z-Moves for a new gimmick and cut over half the pokedex. There is even a windows mouse cursor in the credits for a split second to tell you how tight GF's schedule actually is. And no doubt the Gen 4 Remakes would be similar. Megas will come back, but probably not this Gen, for this Gen is going to be about Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing.

Now you're beginning to sound just like me only last year when I had high expectations to what SWSH could have, only for that to be shattered into splinters when the Press Conference, E3 and the game was released. They clearly rushed the games, took out Megas and Z-Moves for a new gimmick and cut over half the pokedex. There is even a windows mouse cursor in the credits for a split second to tell you how tight GF's schedule actually is. And no doubt the Gen 4 Remakes would be similar. Megas will come back, but probably not this Gen, for this Gen is going to be about Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing.
I said misguided for a reason, ya know.

By the way, you're a real downer. Don't you think you took SwSh a little to personally?

Join the misguided fantasy. You know you wanna.
Misguided? GameFreak cut them from SwSh so it seems somewhat likely that they won’t return. I figure GameFreak wouldn’t want to overshadow Dynamax and Gigantamax with Megas and/or waste resources on a gimmick that isn’t the focus anymore.

At any rate, my (probably wrong) hot take is that no gimmicks outside of maybe regional forms will be in the DPPt remakes.

Yeah, misguided. Wrong. Mistaken. Ill advised. Unsound. Foolish. Misguided.
Is it really that foolish/wrong to think that a mechanic that was removed in the first games of the generation won’t return in the second games? I mean, Megas were already pushed out of the limelight in gen 7, unless there was some major focus on them in LGPE that I’m unaware of. GameFreak removing them entirely in gen 8 isn’t exactly that far fetched.

Last edited:
Is it really that foolish/wrong to think that a mechanic that was removed in the first games of the generation won’t return in the second games? I mean, Megas were already pushed out of the limelight in gen 7, unless there was some major focus on them in LGPE that I’m unaware of. GameFreak removing them entirely in gen 8 isn’t exactly that far fetched.
Megas were in these games...

Gen 6: XY, ORAS
Gen 7: SM, USUM, LGPE, Masters

So it looks like only the 3DS era games (with the exception of one mobile and Switch game) have this gimmick. With Gen 8 as a symbol of the Switch era, and with Dynamax/Gigantamax replacing Megas and Z-Moves as the gimmick, it seems like for the Gen 4 Remake, it too would somehow have this new gimmick, just like Hoenn had Megas in ORAS. Not setting in stone, it's just what'll likely be in the games. At the same time destroying such good opportunity for some.

Last edited:
I have been referring to the idea that megas will return as misguided. Because it is. But I can hope.
Whoops, sorry about that. Guess I better brush up on my reading comprehension.
f3651a3901e2d009847a51b81526de71a540ba43.png

I’m still of the mind that Sinnoh will end up getting its own gimmick rather than Dynamax. Even if it’s little more than a different coat of paint of the previous gimmick.

I've had more time to ruminate. So I'm gonna pull an "If I ran the Pokemon Company" scenario and throw out how I would revisit Sinnoh (actually for me it would be visit for the first time - DPPt are the only games I haven't played). I've mentioned some of these things before but I wanted to get my thoughts more organized.

The region itself would be done in the style of Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, with "chibi" models and a pseudo grid, in order to maintain its structure. I went this route specifically because the routes in Galar suffered while the towns were for the most part immaculate, but I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the free roaming and how much was because the Wild Area was so emphasized. The only exception to this rule would be the Great Marsh which would have a Wild Area feel to it, regular proportions and all. The Pokedex would essentially be Platinum's with maybe a few tweaks.

The Underground, on the other hand, gets a total reimagining to become a second Wild Area of sorts. It is here, as well, as in the Great Marsh, where Max Raid Battles would occur (other than that, we ignore Dynamaxing - it's really more of a Galar thing). A second Pokedex for this area exists, primarily consisting of Pokemon from Gens 5-8 and bringing the total of available Pokemon up to around 400 just like Sword and Shield. With this reimagining comes a new name, the Dreamscape, guided by Fennel and accessed with the aid of the new box legendaries Cresselia and Darkrai, who are retyped to Psychic/Fairy and Dark/Poison to better complement each other. Hence the names of these "remakes" being Pokemon Dream and Nightmare. It's much more liberal than the straighter remakes we've had in the past but I think it works better than whatever prefixes they would add to Diamond and Pearl.

Last edited:
I've had more time to ruminate. So I'm gonna pull an "If I ran the Pokemon Company" scenario and throw out how I would revisit Sinnoh (actually for me it would be visit for the first time - DPPt are the only games I haven't played). I've mentioned some of these things before but I wanted to get my thoughts more organized.

The region itself would be done in the style of Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, with "chibi" models and a pseudo grid, in order to maintain its structure. I went this route specifically because the routes in Galar suffered while the towns were for the most part immaculate, but I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the free roaming and how much was because the Wild Area was so emphasized. The only exception to this rule would be the Great Marsh which would have a Wild Area feel to it, regular proportions and all. The Pokedex would essentially be Platinum's with maybe a few tweaks.

The Underground, on the other hand, gets a total reimagining to become a second Wild Area of sorts. It is here, as well, as in the Great Marsh, where Max Raid Battles would occur (other than that, we ignore Dynamaxing - it's really more of a Galar thing). A second Pokedex for this area exists, primarily consisting of Pokemon from Gens 5-8 and bringing the total of available Pokemon up to around 400 just like Sword and Shield. With this reimagining comes a new name, the Dreamscape, guided by Fennel and accessed with the aid of the new box legendaries Cresselia and Darkrai, who are retyped to Psychic/Fairy and Dark/Poison to better complement each other. Hence the names of these "remakes" being Pokemon Dream and Nightmare. It's much more liberal than the straighter remakes we've had in the past but I think it works better than whatever prefixes they would add to Diamond and Pearl.
Neat but can we have megas back pretty please? With a cherry on top? I'll accept basically any sacrifice just to get Mega Blaziken back.

I just had the craziest idea, but at the same time, it's what Game Freak tends to do anyway. So, that statue depicting Dialga and Palkia fused together, what if that became a form change for them? Yes, it sounds crazy, but Game Freak has been known to dabble in Pokemon fusion themselves as was the case with Kyurem and Necrozma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom