• With COPPA coming into full effect, the comments section and notifications for our YouTube videos are disabled. Not to worry, though, you can keep up with the latest episodes for all our ongoing series and provide your comments in the Bulbasocial section here.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Honestly, there’s the no way the regis are returning without regigigas. I think we’ll battle it in the story or special encounter, which they dont want to spoil yet.
Well, the list could be incomplete, so Regigigas could still be there.

Reaction score
I'd like to note here that LGPE are also 50% more than previous remakes.
???

11.28 million units is not a failure, considering that's more or less how remakes sell.

EDIT: Okay, slightly less seeing how FRLG sold 12 million and HGSS 12,72 million. ORAS is more or less the exception since it sold 14.23 million units.
It's not that it's a failure... I just think it wasn't that big of a success as they would have hoped. That said, I think classifying it as a remake and having different expectations of it on that ground is also kind of tenuous since it wasn't strictly a remake either as there was substantially a lot more innovation going on in the LGPE games. I don't think GameFreak released their first pokemon game on the switch with the mindset that oh, it's a remake it's fine if it sold less.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gamefreak said in interviews multiple times: We ain't doing DLC.

If they say LGJ isn't planned, they mean the exact opposite.

Reaction score
Last time they said that was 2013. 7 years are enough time along with a change of consoles, change of pricing model and change of development times and resources to reach a new opinion.
Didn't that exact same thing happen with Smash, too?

On a journey to become whole again.
Reaction score
Honestly, there’s the no way the regis are returning without regigigas. I think we’ll battle it in the story or special encounter, which they dont want to spoil yet.
If they don't want to spoil it, then they are definitely planning some special form for it.

Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason GF should be reluctant to remake D/P/Pt. After all, those are the best-selling games outside of the first two gens. And anniversary has nothing to do with decreasing the likelihood of getting games that aren't set in Kanto. We got D/P on the tenth anniversary and we got S/M on the twentieth anniversary. They'll celebrate anniversaries with new mainline games set in any region, not just Kanto.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason GF should be reluctant to remake D/P/Pt. After all, those are the best-selling games outside of the first two gens. And anniversary has nothing to do with decreasing the likelihood of getting games that aren't set in Kanto. We got D/P on the tenth anniversary and we got S/M on the twentieth anniversary. They'll celebrate anniversaries with new mainline games set in any region, not just Kanto.
Those games you mentioned aren't remakes, but are rather new gens.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
They already made a big deal of the 20th anniversary. If they make a big deal about 25th, then they'll make the 30th a big deal, the 35th and so on.
Pokemon in general can’t remain in the "celebration mode" forever, seeing this is what we'll end up with if every anniversary is celebrated like that. That isn’t really feasible.

And I’ve read that Japan favours 10,20,30 anniversary numbers to the 25th and 50th like the US. Could anyone please debunk or verify this?

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
Lets Go style games will never get a purchase from me. $60 is wayyyy too much to spend on a very unambitious 2.5D remake of a Gameboy game.

One would think that a second remake of the same game would deserve more ambition, yet the LG style is the very opposite of that. I really hope they don't make any more.

Reaction score
I don't think that they would only want to celebrate DP, especially considering that most of the Sinnoh Pokemon aren't really notable to the general audience.
Right... Riolu and Lucario, Weavile, Bidoof, Kricketune, Staraptor, Luxray, Buitzel and Floatzel, Pachirisu, Bonsly, Mime Jr., Garchomp, Electivire, Magmortar, Munchlax, Dusknoir, Rotom, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Manaphy, Shaymin, and Arceus are all completely unknown.

If anything, I would argue that generation 4 has a much higher number of Pokémon that are relatively well known to the "general audience" than all the later generations. That is on the one hand due to how successful the games were, and on the other hand due to the fact that a number of Pokémon were teased quite a while before Diamond & Pearl actually came out: in the anime, in spin-off games, in the movies etc. (Lucario, Weavile, Munchlax, Mime Jr., Bonsly, Manaphy) and therefore people got to familiarise themselves with them.

Reaction score
Lets Go style games will never get a purchase from me. $60 is wayyyy too much to spend on a very unambitious 2.5D remake of a Gameboy game.

One would think that a second remake of the same game would deserve more ambition, yet the LG style is the very opposite of that. I really hope they don't make any more.
Just imagine: Lets Go Johto. We only get Johto in the 60 priced base game and Kanto is 30 priced DLC.

Reaction score
Between the numerous statements that a Let's Go Johto is not planned, and the confirmation early on in this Gen that GameFreak has learned from their mistakes with USUM and is going the DLC route instead with SwSh, I have a really good feeling we WILL see DP remakes as the next games in the Gen in 2021.

And since Isle of Armor & Crown Tundra will fill that role of "expanding" on Dynamax (i.e giving Gigantamaxes to Venusaur & Blastoise & the starters), I'm now feeling more confident that if DP remakes do happen, we won't see Dynamax or Stadium Gyms in them because Dynamax is a Galar-only thing, much like how Z-Moves & Trials were Alola traditions and therefore didn't replace the Gyms in LGPE.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mega Evolution return though (and the remakes by extension be canonized as taking place in the "Ultimate Weapon timeline"). Cynthia using Mega Garchomp outside of the Battle Tree would be pretty awesome, plus I can almost guarantee these games wouldn't be compatible with SwSh anyway.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Between the numerous statements that a Let's Go Johto is not planned, and the confirmation early on in this Gen that GameFreak has learned from their mistakes with USUM and is going the DLC route instead with SwSh, I have a really good feeling we WILL see DP remakes as the next games in the Gen in 2021.

And since Isle of Armor & Crown Tundra will fill that role of "expanding" on Dynamax (i.e giving Gigantamaxes to Venusaur & Blastoise & the starters), I'm now feeling more confident that if DP remakes do happen, we won't see Dynamax or Stadium Gyms in them because Dynamax is a Galar-only thing, much like how Z-Moves & Trials were Alola traditions and therefore didn't replace the Gyms in LGPE.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mega Evolution return though (and the remakes by extension be canonized as taking place in the "Ultimate Weapon timeline"). Cynthia using Mega Garchomp outside of the Battle Tree would be pretty awesome, plus I can almost guarantee these games wouldn't be compatible with SwSh anyway.
I myself think that we are more likely to see the Gen 9 games in 2021.

Reaction score
Those games you mentioned aren't remakes, but are rather new gens.
That's the point. They chose to release games set in new regions instead of just barfing out another Kanto game. The reason I think we are getting D/P remakes next year is because it's too soon for gen 9 and another Let's Go game currently seems unlikely to happen.

Reaction score
I myself think that we are more likely to see the Gen 9 games in 2021.
Each Gen usually lasts around 3 years, which would mean Gen IX would come in November 2022.

But either way, if DP remakes do not come out before the Gen IX games then I will be convinced that it's because GameFreak's current developer team hated the Sinnoh region or something.