• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what evidence exactly? Haven’t they explicitly stated that another Let’s Go is not currently planned?
Some people have found hints at Let's Go Johto in the presentation. Namely, a bunch of Gen 2 Pokemon plushes being displayed alongside the original Let's Go games.

Some people have found hints at Let's Go Johto in the presentation. Namely, a bunch of Gen 2 Pokemon plushes being displayed alongside the original Let's Go games.
Seems like quite a large stretch to go from “there are gen 2 plushes in the background” to “we’re getting Let’s Go Johto games and gen 4 remakes won’t be until gen 9”

Seems like quite a large stretch to go from “there are gen 2 plushes in the background” to “we’re getting Let’s Go Johto games and gen 4 remakes won’t be until gen 9”
People do the same thing with Smash directs ("oh there was this in the background so clearly we're getting this fighter") so it's not an uncommon stretch, even if it's usually wrong.

People do the same thing with Smash directs ("oh there was this in the background so clearly we're getting this fighter") so it's not an uncommon stretch, even if it's usually wrong.

It has always been wrong with Super Smash Bros. Lol. I don't know about Pokemon, though, which is why I'm worried here.

Remember the silly chair theory? It's not Street Fighter where they did that on purpose to troll their audience... only for Yoshinori Ono to be the one trolled.

Let's Go 2 could possibly have a different story, maybe it will depict Johto in the time before the events of GSC!
Additionally, while somewhat ambitious, it could either take place starting in, or involve time travel to visit ancient Johto and Kanto! where Let's Go 3/Hoenn would otherwise be covering very similar ground to ORAS, they would want this one to set up the idea of Let's Go not always being a direct remake!

It is hard to guess which, either Let's Go 2, or new Sinnoh game(s) will be the main reveal! But over the two years I have been here, RileyXY is often able to predict TPC/Gamefreak's next move, so perhaps it will be Let's Go 2!

If it is Gen iV, i wonder what they would show? I feel like they may have enough for a SWSH level reveal of the actual game in action with some animated sequences. but otherwise it could be something similar to the expansion pass reveal with lots of artwork and some gameplay mixed in?

There seems to be a lot of focus on casual mobile games and old nostalgic spin-off games like Pokémon Snap and to a lesser extent Mystery Dungeon. I wonder if this means that a remake is less likely because Gen 4 doesn't appeal to really young kids and their "Genwunner" parents since they seem to be the target audience right now.
PMD Red and Blue Rescue team weren't exactly part of the Genwunner childhood, the remake really only excited hardcore PMD fans to be honest which don't have a lot of overlap with the Genwunner crowd, and a Snap sequel has been amongst one of the most requested remakes from what I've seen, even from younger fans. I don't think those mean a DPPt remake is less likely, especially considering how many people are clamoring for one.
Let's Go 2 could possibly have a different story, maybe it will depict Johto in the time before the events of GSC!
Additionally, while somewhat ambitious, it could either take place starting in, or involve time travel to visit ancient Johto and Kanto! where Let's Go 3/Hoenn would otherwise be covering very similar ground to ORAS, they would want this one to set up the idea of Let's Go not always being a direct remake!
Considering that LGPE was very similar to the game it was based on with a few tweaks here and there, I highly doubt GameFreak will do something that extreme.

Based on those backgrounds, we are getting Johto Remakes. However, Detective Pikachu is also a possibility (Since Detective Pikachu and the game were also there). However, Johto Remakes don't discredit Sinnoh remakes next year either, because a June announcement, falls perfectly in-line with a February/April 2021 release (Each games promotional cycle is at least 8 or 9 months). However, fact of the matter is that Sinnoh remakes take more hype away from the DLC than Lets Go Johto remakes.

Based on those backgrounds, we are getting Johto Remakes.
Does anyone have a photo of the actual background with all the Johto Pokemon? Because I could easily see GameFreak having several Johto plushies leftover from the Pokemon Fit collection being the reason for the Johto themed background, rather than some attempt at a nebulous hint towards Let's Go Johto.

Does anyone have a photo of the actual background with all the Johto Pokemon? Because I could easily see GameFreak having several Johto plushies leftover from the Pokemon Fit collection being the reason for the Johto themed background, rather than some attempt at a nebulous hint towards Let's Go Johto.
We're more likely to get Let's Go Johto anyways because those are less likely to kill hype for the Crown Tundra than the Sinnoh remakes.

I know I'm the guy who's super hyped and is praying and praying and praying that this'll finally be Sinnoh remakes and changed his avatar out of a misguided, desperate belief that it might bring him the luck that is needed for Sinnoh remakes but couldn't it also just be another wave of DLC instead of a new game?

I know I'm the guy who's super hyped and is praying and praying and praying that this'll finally be Sinnoh remakes and changed his avatar out of a misguided, desperate belief that it might bring him the luck that is needed for Sinnoh remakes but couldn't it also just be another wave of DLC instead of a new game?
I don't know about that, but I think not.

Or it could the end of the franchise as a whole, I'd consider that a big project.
r/sarcasm

I don't think that the announcement will be a brand new game, it could be related to them hiring more people,which is normal, but they specify it's to create a new pokemon "series", it could be a mistranslation(because google translate, ofc) and it could be irrelevant, but I consider it more likely than a brand new main series game.

Or it could the end of the franchise as a whole, I'd consider that a big project.
r/sarcasm

I don't think that the announcement will be a brand new game, it could be related to them hiring more people,which is normal, but they specify it's to create a new pokemon "series", it could be a mistranslation(because google translate, ofc) and it could be irrelevant, but I consider it more likely than a brand new main series game.
How would they do that?

We're more likely to get Let's Go Johto anyways because those are less likely to kill hype for the Crown Tundra than the Sinnoh remakes.
  1. I don't really think there will be a measurably large hype difference between LG Johto and Sinnoh remakes. After LGPE first came out, I saw a lot of people hoping for a sequel. Sure, people might be more excited for DPPt remakes but I don't think that will have a sizable difference on game sales compared to if LG Johto was announced.
  2. It's not like people can only be focused on one thing. People can be hyped for both Crown Tundra and Sinnoh remakes. Plus GameFreak can just announce Sinnoh remakes and then focus the bulk of their marketing on building hype for Crown Tundra. While you might get a few people going "I really don't care, I'm more hyped for the remakes," I'd imagine most people would be more focused on the upcoming DLC with lots of trailers and info surrounding it rather than the far-off remake or would split their hype roughly equally between the two.
  3. Crown Tundra is in a DLC package with Isle of Armor. Even if hype for Sinnoh remakes or whatever had a non-negligible effect on pass sales, I'd imagine that the hype for Isle of Armor would carry the game sales.
  4. I don't think hype is a factor GameFreak takes into major account when determining when to release their games. I just don't think they go "Sure, we could release Sinnoh remakes but that would bit too hard into the hype for Crown Tundra so we have to release Let's Go Johto instead."
  5. GameFreak has said that they don't really have any intention of releasing another Let's Go game. Granted, it was very vague and such, but I figure, if a Let's Go game was going to be next, that development on it would have started sometime during SwSh's development and release. I don't think GameFreak would basically say "we currently have no plans for another Let's Go game" while they are working on it.

JaN9Piu.png

I haven't been following remake discussion, but immediately keyed into Typhlosion in the background thinking that was an odd choice. Then realized that whole row was Gen II legendaries and starters. Kind of weird to have that front and center. The two Gen I plushes in the row can be handwaved as static encounters in GSC. Top left you have three other pretty random pokemon that happen to be Gen II. And then lower right is Eevee with its Gen II evolutions in front of a LGE box. Dedicating three of those cubbies to Johto related plushes seems less than coincidental.

It would be beyond stupid of them to announce a new main series game next week. They're already working on the DLC, which essentially takes the place of Gun or UltraSword/UltraShield or whatever they would normally do, so to add another game on top of that? That would stretch Game Freak dangerously thin and cause the two games to cannibalize each other. Short of them announcing a definitive edition of SwSh which includes the main games + DLC, there's no reason they should be announcing any further main series games until next year.

It does strike me as strange that there's so many iconic Gen 2 plushies on the shelf (cover legendaries, starters, another legendary trio, Eeveelutions, and two story-relevant Gen 2 Pokemon), but at the same time, why go Da Vinci Code on hinting at it instead of, you know, announcing it in this presentation that's announcing new games? Especially for a Let's Go game, which is supposed to be aimed at younger players, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom