• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was saying that Black and White plays too much like the modern games to warrant a remake.
Again, it playing like the modern games has no effect on whether or not it gets remade.

Last edited:
I think that the Poketch will be gone due to the fact that the Switch lacks dual screens. I'm also not expecting a lot of QOL changes considering that ORAS left a lot of stuff from RS the same.

There's always one gen that has a remake and one that doesn't. Gen 4 remade Johto, 5 had nothing, getting a new pair of games instead (BW2). Gen 6 then remade RS, after which 7 didn't and got 2 new games as well (USUM). I don't see why we suddenly wouldn't Sinnoh remakes this gen other than people just not wanting it.

If people next time could leave proper arguementation instead of just hot takes based on their own wants and needs that flip flop constantly, that'd be great by the way.

Honestly, I for one don't think that the patterns make sense, ORAS was made because everyone was talking about it in Twitter, and while I rarely use Twitter so I can't say anything about gen 7 sinnoh remakes , I'm fairly certain LGPE has enough reasons going for it to exist, even for new pokemon snap, Masuda stated that he wanted to remake Snap, but it couldn't be made by Gamefreak on it's own and that's what's happenning now, remade but with Bandai Namco's help.

Back to my point about Twitter, I'm sure Sinnoh remakes are requested far more that Let's go Johto, which unlike LGPE, doesn't seem like it has anything going for it other than the first one selling well, and there is that interview were they simply said that they'll make one "if they hear our voices coming to them" which doesn't to be the case here, though ofc it could just that they wanted to keep the upcoming games a secret.

Does any of this rule out the Let's go johto? Far from yes. Does it make me feel like Sinnoh remakes are more likely? Yeah

There's always one gen that has a remake and one that doesn't. Gen 4 remade Johto, 5 had nothing, getting a new pair of games instead (BW2). Gen 6 then remade RS, after which 7 didn't and got 2 new games as well (USUM). I don't see why we suddenly wouldn't Sinnoh remakes this gen other than people just not wanting it.

If people next time could leave proper arguementation instead of just hot takes based on their own wants and needs that flip flop constantly, that'd be great by the way.

False, 3rd gen and 4th gen had consecutive remakes in FRLG and HGSS. Furthermore, 5th gen was a fairly unique case because it was a new generation on the same hardware as 4th gen, which was mostly unprecedented at the time (2nd gen was on the GBC depending on your region, but it's debatable whether or not that counts as a new hardware generation to begin with. Other than that each new generation of Pokemon was on separate hardware). For this reason, I also think it's plausible that 5th gen remakes could also release on Switch. The original DP and BW were on the same hardware, so the remakes can be as well. 9th gen will probably be on Switch since Nintendo doesn't seem to want to replace it anytime soon, so 5th gen remakes could release in 9th gen after its debut games.

Last edited:
It would be beyond stupid of them to announce a new main series game next week. They're already working on the DLC, which essentially takes the place of Gun or UltraSword/UltraShield or whatever they would normally do, so to add another game on top of that? That would stretch Game Freak dangerously thin and cause the two games to cannibalize each other. Short of them announcing a definitive edition of SwSh which includes the main games + DLC, there's no reason they should be announcing any further main series games until next year.

The games may take resources from each other and be rushed, but why should they care when they will print money anyways?

Games are usually released for the prime holiday reason. Notice how all releases in recent memory have been in November. And again, they don’t announce games an entire year or more before their release. Their entire attention is on their remaining offering of2020- the Crown Tundra. It would be illogical to announce any game (either Johto or Sinnoh) next week, unless GameFreak is going totally whack with their release schedule at the expense of overworked employees and less profits.

Overworked employees is normal in Japan and the games will print money anyways. Maybe they will release in November or on Pokémon Day.

False, 3rd gen and 4th gen had consecutive remakes in FRLG and HGSS. Furthermore, 5th gen was a fairly unique case because it was a new generation on the same hardware as 4th gen, which was mostly unprecedented at the time (2nd gen was on the GBC depending on your region, but it's debatable whether or not that counts as a new hardware generation to begin with. Other than that each new generation of Pokemon was on separate hardware). For this reason, I also think it's plausible that 5th gen remakes could also release on Switch. The original DP and BW were on the same hardware, so the remakes can be as well. 9th gen will probably be on Switch since Nintendo doesn't seem to want to replace it anytime soon, so 5th gen remakes could release in 9th gen after its debut games.

Back to back was once and thus an exception.

Exception is not the norm.

We only had 3 remakes ,not counting LGPE.
FRLG and HGSS, back to back
HGSS and ORAS, a whole gen between them.
As I said, Gamefreak doesn't follow patterns and don't even seem to care about the "gens", it's purely fanmade created to put a group of games in one category, as far as my knowledge goes, gamefreak never used it, and the pokemon of the year poll for example, they were divided by region and look at the meltan line. They (re)make what fans are asking for so much, which in this case is DP remakes.

The Pokémon series does have quite a history of putting little hints in trailers and video backgrounds, though. Anyone remember the gold and silver balloons from Pokémon Sunday that "randomly" appeared one or two weeks before HeartGold and SoulSilver were announced?
It seems to me like all hints like this are pretty outside the mainstream advertisements, though. After Pokemon Sunday, a TV show only in Japan, and Masuda's tweets related to the titles for SM and SwSh, I haven't seen any other hints that weren't a huge stretch. (Like saying the word's "Let's Go" on the back of USUM was a hint at the title for the next games, despite those words not even appearing on the Japanese cover)

Looking for hints to support a theory is going to be hugely vulnerable to confirmation bias. In the time before SwSh was announced, we had plenty of fake titles out there, and people often found "hints" that didn't actually mean anything.

There was Crown and Scepter
King and Queen

And the idea of "armored evolution"

And these were all for concepts that were never in Pokemon in the first place. When we look for references to an existing part of the franchise, we're bound to find more things we can twist into hints. What if we were expecting Gen 5 remakes instead? Then we'd be talking about how Emolga is the only Pikaclone that appears in the video, and how herds of Bouffalant appear instead of the more iconic Tauros.

I'm still optimistic about the possibility of Gen 4 remakes soon, but look at the scenario being imagined here. TPC decides not to announce new remakes, but to instead to hide a clue in the trailer of one of the games being released. The clue is this: They will include footage of one starter from Gen 4 in the trailer, along with starters from Gen 1, 7, and 8, and specifically exclude starters from 2, 3, 5, and 6. They expect people to notice the starters specifically, and who came from what generation, so that they can notice that, while Gen 1 is often referenced and Gen 7 and 8 are the most recent games, Torterra is not often featured. (Except, of course, for when it was featured in the Detective Pikachu film) Because of this, fans will correctly guess that this is intended to tell them that Gen 4 remakes are coming soon.

Doesn't that seem like a lot of hoops to jump through for little payoff? And why bother with such a complicated way to hint at it instead of going more directly? Why not show Empoleon and Infernape, so people notice they're the only complete trio of starters? Why not show a mythical or legendary from Gen 4, giving them the honor of being the only one in the trailer? Why not just give a logo reveal?

What everyone forgets is the compatibility and the possibility of putting the original games on the system of their remakes. We have to remember that the only times when the remake and the original were playable on the same system were the Game Boy Advance and the 3DS. Red and Blue were compatible with the Game Boy Advance because the system itself had compatibility with the original Game Boy games. In the 3DS's case, Gold Silver, and Crystal were released on the eShop when HGSS were compatible with the 3DS. With the Switch, DS and 3DS games aren't compatible for multiple of reasons, but unlike last time, it's impossible to have DS and 3DS games on the Switch eShop due to the fact that the screens would have to be crunched together unless the screens are placed side by side, there isn't a workaround when it comes to this, the Wii U had a workaround this problem, but the Switch doesn't.

Basically, they can easily put the Game Boy games on the eShop no problem if they wanted to while they would have to jump through way too many hoops when it comes to double-screen games.

Last edited:
And these were all for concepts that were never in Pokemon in the first place. When we look for references to an existing part of the franchise, we're bound to find more things we can twist into hints. What if we were expecting Gen 5 remakes instead? Then we'd be talking about how Emolga is the only Pikaclone that appears in the video, and how herds of Bouffalant appear instead of the more iconic Tauros.

Bouffalant and Emolga are just random 5th gen Pokemon. The starters are more significant for marketing because they're your first partners in the games and for most (the people that keep them on their team) a major part of their journey. The starters and mascot legendaries are the most significant Pokemon of their generation, so that means a lot more than just some random Pokemon.

I'm still optimistic about the possibility of Gen 4 remakes soon, but look at the scenario being imagined here. TPC decides not to announce new remakes, but to instead to hide a clue in the trailer of one of the games being released. The clue is this: They will include footage of one starter from Gen 4 in the trailer, along with starters from Gen 1, 7, and 8, and specifically exclude starters from 2, 3, 5, and 6. They expect people to notice the starters specifically, and who came from what generation, so that they can notice that, while Gen 1 is often referenced and Gen 7 and 8 are the most recent games, Torterra is not often featured. (Except, of course, for when it was featured in the Detective Pikachu film) Because of this, fans will correctly guess that this is intended to tell them that Gen 4 remakes are coming soon.

Doesn't that seem like a lot of hoops to jump through for little payoff? And why bother with such a complicated way to hint at it instead of going more directly? Why not show Empoleon and Infernape, so people notice they're the only complete trio of starters? Why not show a mythical or legendary from Gen 4, giving them the honor of being the only one in the trailer? Why not just give a logo reveal?

It's not simply about the footage we've been shown now though. I'm asking will we see 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gen starters in the game at all? There's certainly going to be some kind of limit on New Snap's roster, even the original with only 151 Pokemon to deal with only had 60some, so this game is probably only going to have a couple hundred out of the almost 900 Pokemon in existence now. So I have doubts as to whether we'll even see starters from every generation represented.

As for why they would choose Torterra specifically, it could be because that's simply the only Sinnoh starter in an area they're ready to show at this point. Remember it's not just about marketing the Pokemon, but the game itself as well. When they choose which gameplay clips to show, they usually do so based on which ones they've polished up enough to show the public, which ones best market the premise, story, and gameplay, and which ones the player will likely encounter. So we may not be seeing Empoleon and Infernape because they're still working on the areas they appear in in this game.

Bouffalant and Emolga are just random 5th gen Pokemon. The starters are more significant for marketing because they're your first partners in the games and for most (the people that keep them on their team) a major part of their journey. The starters and mascot legendaries are the most significant Pokemon of their generation, so that means a lot more than just some random Pokemon.
Emolga's not random, it's the Pikaclone of Gen 5. Not as significant as starters, but not so irrelevant you couldn't make a case for it.
It's not simply about the footage we've been shown now though. I'm asking will we see 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gen starters in the game at all? There's certainly going to be some kind of limit on New Snap's roster, even the original with only 151 Pokemon to deal with only had 60some, so this game is probably only going to have a couple hundred out of the almost 900 Pokemon in existence now. So I have doubts as to whether we'll even see starters from every generation represented.
Pokemon Snap also had to deal with the limits of the N64, though, and didn't have any existing 3D models to build. Now, we already have existing 3D models, and much more processing power on the Switch.
As for why they would choose Torterra specifically, it could be because that's simply the only Sinnoh starter in an area they're ready to show at this point. Remember it's not just about marketing the Pokemon, but the game itself as well. When they choose which gameplay clips to show, they usually do so based on which ones they've polished up enough to show the public, which ones best market the premise, story, and gameplay, and which ones the player will likely encounter. So we may not be seeing Empoleon and Infernape because they're still working on the areas they appear in in this game.
Fire-type Scorbunny seems perfectly happy in the forest:
1592801596309.png

Why couldn't Chimchar be there instead? Then Sinnoh at least stands out more by being tied with Galar for the number of starters shown.

And, again, what's stopping them from including a Sinnoh mythical in these locations?
1592802332460.png

1592802431127.png
Couldn't Manaphy work well in these shots?

Pokemon Snap also had to deal with the limits of the N64, though, and didn't have any existing 3D models to build. Now, we already have existing 3D models, and much more processing power on the Switch.
That, and they wanted to have 64 Pokémon in the game, although Ekans got cut in the end for unknown reasons.

I'm really curious on peoples' purchasing practices when it comes to DLC. When a kid asks their parents for DLC, is that the sort of thing they say "wait for your birthday" or "wait for Christmas" for? I mean I guess they do, but that just seems so odd and foreign to me not having grown up with digital content, and the same being said for parents. When crunching the numbers, are Game Freak thinking purchases of the DLC pack have already peaked or do they think it'll see a big push around the holidays?

One thing that might legitimately hint towards Sinnoh remakes is the presence of Torterra in the New Pokemon Snap trailer.
Torterra's just an impressive pokemon from an ecological perspective. Its back can be a habitat for other pokemon. That's exciting in a game that has a lot of pokemon interacting with one another. You can't really do the same with a Swampert or Emboar. You're looking a bit too much into this one.

Too early for that.
Far be it for a game that'd be over 10 years old to be remade. We have no examples of that happening in this franchise. The series' target demo are kids. I doubt the majority of 8 year old fans are wracking up hours on a generation that came out before they were born. If Game Freak are looking for an easy well to tap, there's a preexisting region and story that a lot of the people who would be playing through the game wouldn't be familiar with. Do I think it's likely? Not at all, but it's not off the table in the next few years. The visual jump from gen V to VI is the most notable of the series by far, and as we get further away from younger kids having a 3DS that technically can play gen V games if their parents can get their hands on copies, it's more likely we could see a repeat.

And here you are cherrypicking to suit your argument. Weird.
Literally any "pattern" in the series outside of the most basic aspects of the game are based on conjecture and just used to suit peoples' side of an argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom