• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
The poketch? Just implement some feature where you can have it as a mini screen at the top left corner like how most video games feature mini maps. And you can change what poketch app you want to use by accessing the menu manually. I hope that's not too difficult to include.

Also, I don't know if Gen 8 has this, but if they didn't add the box autosort for SWSH, then hopefully box autosort is available in Sinnoh remakes. Rotating available pokemon could be good and all, but that's still a few hundred pokemon per game to think about.
I think that it is and it would just become a Y-Comm clone if they did that. I would just rather they port over the Y-Comm directly from Sword and Shield.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
*facepalm* Really guys? So many horrible ideas on how to handle the Poketch being floated around here. No, it probably won't be a hardware peripheral. Game Freak does love selling hardware peripherals, and there may or may not be any peripheral sold with the remakes, but they probably won't make a peripheral for the sake of compensating for hardware differences. Again, we've had regional gadgets without the hardware having a second screen. Neither the GBC nor the GBA had a separate screen, but they implemented the Pokegear and Pokenav just fine. Is it a little less convenient to access without a second screen? Certainly, the second screen is definitely missed. But are they going to throw them out the window just because there's no second screen? No. Again, implementing it like the Y-Comm and just having the Poketch screen running in the corner would work. And no, that wouldn't make it a clone. Just because it's accessed the same way doesn't mean it's the same, if it has different features then it's not a clone.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Sadly, that's the only way the Poketch can work now because the Switch lacks dual screens.
The only way to preserve the Poketch in its original form now is to make it a separate physical accessory that you have to buy separately. Otherwise, they would just be putting in the Y-Comm from Sword and Shield.
I think that it is and it would just become a Y-Comm clone if they did that. I would just rather they port over the Y-Comm directly from Sword and Shield.
Take Poketech as it is and relocate it to a small screen which when tapped can be increased in size.
End of argument. And it objectively won’t be a Y-Comm clone. By that logic all entries on the same console would have identical features.

Last edited:
Reaction score
*facepalm* Really guys? So many horrible ideas on how to handle the Poketch being floated around here. No, it probably won't be a hardware peripheral. Game Freak does love selling hardware peripherals, and there may or may not be any peripheral sold with the remakes, but they probably won't make a peripheral for the sake of compensating for hardware differences. Again, we've had regional gadgets without the hardware having a second screen. Neither the GBC nor the GBA had a separate screen, but they implemented the Pokegear and Pokenav just fine. Is it a little less convenient to access without a second screen? Certainly, the second screen is definitely missed. But are they going to throw them out the window just because there's no second screen? No. Again, implementing it like the Y-Comm and just having the Poketch screen running in the corner would work. And no, that wouldn't make it a clone. Just because it's accessed the same way doesn't mean it's the same, if it has different features then it's not a clone.
I think that it's more likely for the Poketch to be revamped as a wheel that is expanded to select apps and then shrinked to a corner or that will only pop out to give notices pertaining certain apps than GF making it an accessory. Hell, they can even launch a Poketch app for mobile phones that can be presented as a companion tool for the game with all the mini-apps in it.
HG/SS had Pkmn following you (a game mechanic) and Let's go had the motion controls, both that can justify peripherals but Poketch? IF, by any chance, it's released one, then it's shows that either it's a cash grab or that the remakes won't have any amazing new/updated feature to bring to the table aside than making an ingame help tool into a peripheral.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I think that it's more likely for the Poketch to be revamped as a wheel that is expanded to select apps and then shrinked to a corner or that will only pop out to give notices pertaining certain apps than GF making it an accessory. Hell, they can even launch a Poketch app for mobile phones that can be presented as a companion tool for the game with all the mini-apps in it.
HG/SS had Pkmn following you (a game mechanic) and Let's go had the motion controls, both that can justify peripherals but Poketch? IF, by any chance, it's released one, then it's shows that either it's a cash grab or that the remakes won't have any amazing new/updated feature to bring to the table aside than making an ingame help tool into a peripheral.
That's more comparable to the Y-Comm than the original Poketch, and if they were going to do that then they should just port over the Y-Comm directly from Sword and Shield.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
That's more comparable to the Y-Comm than the original Poketch, and if they were going to do that then they should just port over the Y-Comm directly from Sword and Shield.
They don’t port stuff like this 1:1 between games otherwise secret bases wouldn’t be a thing in ORAS and we’d have a limited feature set.

How is Poketech being on the same screen similar to the Y-comm? They can clearly design interfaces for one screen so it can happen. Boom, no external peripheral needed. I don’t know why a sarcastic idea was taken so seriously.

Young at Heart
Reaction score
Going from the fantastic Pokétch to the utterly useless C-Gear, and later from the PokéNav/DexNav to the not only useless, but also incredibly annoying Rotom Dex of Sun and Moon... Biggest downgrades in video game history.
DPPt and ORAS definitely made the best use of the bottom screen, along with HGSS, which displayed the menu at all times and let you register two key items that you can tap on, which was neat. X and Y's bottom screen is good too, but ORAS has more options. I quite liked the Rotom Dex in SM, but they ruined it in USUM by making it talk too much. The C-Gear is pointless if you're playing alone, and it annoys me how it asks you if you want to launch C-Gear communications every time you start up the game (and then if you say "no", it'll ask you if it's OK for some of the C-Gear's functions to be impaired).

While I am excited by the prospect of Sinnoh games on the Switch, it would be strange not having two screens. Diamond and Pearl were the first major Pokemon games on the DS, and the second screen was of one their most exciting new features.

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I think that Team Galactic presents story-wise the best way to have Mega evolution and Ultra beasts present in the Sinnoh remakes, if GF has the courage to make the effort.
Since back in ASOR the Infinity Energy was what was talked about, is connected to mega-evos and after the main story Team Galactic's goal was to produce clean energy, they might be used to continue that lore and give away Mega stones in...Veilstone!
As for Ultra Beasts, Locker is there, time and space were big elements in Sinnoh so in his research perhaps Cyrus found a way to transport to other dimensions.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I think that Team Galactic presents story-wise the best way to have Mega evolution and Ultra beasts present in the Sinnoh remakes, if GF has the courage to make the effort.
Since back in ASOR the Infinity Energy was what was talked about, is connected to mega-evos and after the main story Team Galactic's goal was to produce clean energy, they might be used to continue that lore and give away Mega stones in...Veilstone!
As for Ultra Beasts, Locker is there, time and space were big elements in Sinnoh so in his research perhaps Cyrus found a way to transport to other dimensions.
Sadly, due to it now being Gen 8, Dynamax will just be shoved into the plot.

Hops
Reaction score
Well they did not bring z-moves over to LGPE, and the game keeps highlighting how dmax is possible to do ONLY in Galar. So I wouldn't consider megas returning (without dynamax) out of the table

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Well they did not bring z-moves over to LGPE, and the game keeps highlighting how dmax is possible to do ONLY in Galar. So I wouldn't consider megas returning (without dynamax) out of the table
Megas aren't the big feature anymore. Dynamax is, and they could always retcon things.

Young at Heart
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Mega Evolution is easy to incorporate into any region, but including Dynamax in Sinnoh would require major changes. They'd have to make the Gyms stadium-sized, completely redesign the Pokemon League, include Pokemon Dens somewhere, and add Power Spots to other significant locations like the Spear Pillar. I can't imagine Game Freak wanting to change Sinnoh this much because in past remakes, they've always been very dedicated to preserving the atmosphere of the originals.

The Dynamax issue actually makes me wonder if we won't get Sinnoh remakes in Gen 8, unless they're a separate entity that can't connect with Sword and Shield.

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
For Dynamaxing, they can always make the Honey Trees be the exclusive locations for Max Raid Battles and Dynamaxing, it's not like it has to be the center of the plot just because it's the new mechanic. Another thing to keep in mind is that the Distortion World could bring a reason on why it made those trees in particular act like Raid Dens. The lore states that any changes the Distortion World goes through also affect the normal world, the big plot point of Platinum made that clear when Giratina attacked Cyrus because of the meddling with the fabric of time and space.

RK9

Gen V was the peak.
Reaction score
To be honest, it's quite easy, as Poke Dragon said.

Besides that, the DLC of SwSh sets it up for Sinnoh by
A Vespiquen with the factor
just going around and spread it like bees do. (Could be just that with nothing else, but I find it too convenient that it happens to be that Pokemon.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
To be honest, it's quite easy, as Poke Dragon said.

Besides that, the DLC of SwSh sets it up for Sinnoh by
A Vespiquen with the factor
just going around and spread it like bees do. (Could be just that with nothing else, but I find it too convenient that it happens to be that Pokemon.
I don't think that can happen without Eternatus getting involved.

Nepgear is cute.
Reaction score
I don't think that can happen without Eternatus getting involved.
If they can 'retcon' Mega Evolution to Rayquaza for Hoenn, they can easily 'retcon' Dynamax Factor with the cloud over Mt. Coronet. (Which looks suspiciously much like the actual Dynamax cloud.)
Plot twist: Giratina and Eternatus are actually BFFs and invented Dynamax together to screw with the human world.