• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only really remember using two Pokétch apps - the daycare check when breeding mons and the map when hunting the runner legendaries.

I can’t think of many good ways to include the Pokétch on a single screen - they could do a smaller optional screen to show it with a button press to enlarge, but I’m really not a fan of cluttered HUDs so hopefully it would be optional.

Perhaps a less popular way to do it would be with a connection to the NSO app which would let you have a completely independent second screen but would restrict its use to NSO subscribers. on the plus they could connect it to the Rotom phones seen in Galar and the anime which would be fun.

perhaps both of these as options would be a good approach but I suspect they’d more likely just drop the Pokétch altogether. I did make me laugh how often the anime had Dawn use the coin toss app on hers as if to really sell players on how useful the Pokétch was.

Perhaps a less popular way to do it would be with a connection to the NSO app which would let you have a completely independent second screen but would restrict its use to NSO subscribers.
I'd rather they don’t lock such a useful set of features beyond a pay wall. This is already done with the GTS, we don’t need more features becoming difficult for free users.

Going from the fantastic Pokétch to the utterly useless C-Gear, and later from the PokéNav/DexNav to the not only useless, but also incredibly annoying Rotom Dex of Sun and Moon... Biggest downgrades in video game history.

Going from the fantastic Pokétch to the utterly useless C-Gear, and later from the PokéNav/DexNav to the not only useless, but also incredibly annoying Rotom Dex of Sun and Moon... Biggest downgrades in video game history.
What’s wrong with the DexNav? It was universally loved for being able to find Good IVs and egg moves really easily.

I can’t think of many good ways to include the Pokétch on a single screen - they could do a smaller optional screen to show it with a button press to enlarge, but I’m really not a fan of cluttered HUDs so hopefully it would be optional.

I mean, I was going to say just open it from the menu like the Pokegear and Pokenav, but this is a better idea since some of the apps would really be better to see on the HUD. They should probably just put it on the bottom corner like they do with the Y-Comm.

perhaps both of these as options would be a good approach but I suspect they’d more likely just drop the Pokétch altogether. I did make me laugh how often the anime had Dawn use the coin toss app on hers as if to really sell players on how useful the Pokétch was.

I mean the Coin Toss app was another one that you could discard because it wasn't that useful, but don't drop it altogether.

If you want an exact list of the ones they should keep, here's what I would say:
-Digital Clock
-Pedometer
-Friendship Checker
-Dowsing Machine
-Berry Searcher
-Day Care Checker
-Counter
-Marking Map
-Link Searcher (revamped as a PSS/Y-Comm esque online app)
-Move Tester
-Calendar
-Matchup Checker

And then they could add new ones like an IV Judge app.

Exactly. I was so crushed when I saw how little the C-Gear could do after the Poketch had all of these useful features. That was one of the reasons I hated BW's shift towards casualization, they threw the baby out with the bathwater with things like this. The Pokenav Plus was the upgrade that we needed, especially with the DexNav being one of the best apps they've ever created, but then they dropped it again. I didn't mind the Rotom Dex's map because it was a lot more detailed and the Roto Loto essentially keeping O-Powers was nice, but other than that it did MUCH less than the Pokenav Plus in ORAS. Utter disappointments in both cases.

What’s wrong with the DexNav? It was universally loved for being able to find Good IVs and egg moves really easily.

I think they meant going from the DexNav to the Rotom Dex was a downgrade.

Oh, maybe I worded that badly. The Pokétch and especially the DexNav were fantastic, and the C-Gear and Rotom Dex were the downgrades.

What if the Poketch is its own hardware that you have to buy separately, like the pokeball plus? :O
That'll be even worse, making it paid would already be a bad move, a physical item means that anyone not in a "major" country would have to pay a very high premium for a feature. The cost of entry of switch entries is bad enough without adding in the pile of holes like import fees and warranty.

That'll be even worse, making it paid would already be a bad move, a physical item means that anyone not in a "major" country would have to pay a very high premium for a feature. The cost of entry of switch entries is bad enough without adding in the pile of holes like import fees and warranty.

Just thinking about how the pokemon company can make more money. :wynaut:

Sadly, that's the only way the Poketch can work now because the Switch lacks dual screens.

What if the Poketch is its own hardware that you have to buy separately, like the pokeball plus? :O
Sadly, that's the only way the Poketch can work now because the Switch lacks dual screens.
Why not make it like the PokéWalker in HGSS and bundle the Pokétch with the Sinnoh remakes?

I can't see that working without completely retooling it into a Y-Comm clone.
How come? I don't think it would be that difficult for GameFreak to create a separate menu akin to the original Poketech. That doesn't strike me (unless I misinterpreted what you mean by retooling it into a Y-Comm clone) as a particularly difficult nor labor intensive endeavor.

How come? I don't think it would be that difficult for GameFreak to create a separate menu akin to the original Poketech. That doesn't strike me (unless I misinterpreted what you mean by retooling it into a Y-Comm clone) as a particularly difficult nor labor intensive endeavor.
The only way to preserve the Poketch in its original form now is to make it a separate physical accessory that you have to buy separately. Otherwise, they would just be putting in the Y-Comm from Sword and Shield.

The poketch? Just implement some feature where you can have it as a mini screen at the top left corner like how most video games feature mini maps. And you can change what poketch app you want to use by accessing the menu manually. I hope that's not too difficult to include.

Also, I don't know if Gen 8 has this, but if they didn't add the box autosort for SWSH, then hopefully box autosort is available in Sinnoh remakes. Rotating available pokemon could be good and all, but that's still a few hundred pokemon per game to think about.

The poketch? Just implement some feature where you can have it as a mini screen at the top left corner like how most video games feature mini maps. And you can change what poketch app you want to use by accessing the menu manually. I hope that's not too difficult to include.

Also, I don't know if Gen 8 has this, but if they didn't add the box autosort for SWSH, then hopefully box autosort is available in Sinnoh remakes. Rotating available pokemon could be good and all, but that's still a few hundred pokemon per game to think about.
I think that it is and it would just become a Y-Comm clone if they did that. I would just rather they port over the Y-Comm directly from Sword and Shield.

*facepalm* Really guys? So many horrible ideas on how to handle the Poketch being floated around here. No, it probably won't be a hardware peripheral. Game Freak does love selling hardware peripherals, and there may or may not be any peripheral sold with the remakes, but they probably won't make a peripheral for the sake of compensating for hardware differences. Again, we've had regional gadgets without the hardware having a second screen. Neither the GBC nor the GBA had a separate screen, but they implemented the Pokegear and Pokenav just fine. Is it a little less convenient to access without a second screen? Certainly, the second screen is definitely missed. But are they going to throw them out the window just because there's no second screen? No. Again, implementing it like the Y-Comm and just having the Poketch screen running in the corner would work. And no, that wouldn't make it a clone. Just because it's accessed the same way doesn't mean it's the same, if it has different features then it's not a clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom