• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, Gamefreak reads online stuff posted by fans, so they are probably aware of those names for Gen 4 remakes that they are gonna purposely avoid using them just to suprise players with names that hardly anyone came up with.
I don't think that's really going to happen all that often. If it came out that they were reading fan content, they'd be at risk of a lawsuit if someone could find something similar to a fan work. That's not really worth risking just for the sake of surprising people with a different title than what they expected.

They should replace the fog on Rt. 210N and the post game section of Victory Road with Misty Terrain. I can't say I'm looking forward to missing every other move in those areas again.
I guess that's why it never came back unlike sandstorm and hail, which are annoying but not frustrating.

I noticed that ORAS was released on the 10th anniversary of Emerald.
So, we might get the Sinnoh remakes sometime in 2022 or 2023 (which is the 15th anniversary of Platinum). Tsunekazu Ishihara said in the past that making a Switch-based Pokemon game can be difficult and challenging.

Last edited:
I keep wondering how GF would handle this kind of workload (assuming that Gen 9 pre-production is already underway) but I also keep forgetting that their staff size has increased significantly as of SwSh. So maybe SwSh > DLC > Sinnoh is more manageable than I would expect.

I noticed that ORAS was released on the 10th anniversary of Emerald.
So, we might get the Sinnoh remakes sometime in 2022 or 2023 (which is the 15th anniversary of Platinum). Tsunekazu Ishihara said in the past that making a Switch-based Pokemon game can be difficult and challenging.

I mean, Pokémon's been around for a long time. Take a shot in the barrel and you'll probably hit an anniversary of something. I know people are all about the multiples of 5 and 10, but surely the more relevant thing with ORAS is the fact that they released it on the 12th anniversary of Ruby & Sapphire to the exact day (Nov 21)?

(Though I would be extremely surprised to see a modern Pokémon game release in September like DP originally did)

It would be great if they can show the original gameplay for Diamond and Pearl before truly announcing the remakes, to build some last-minute hype.

Regarding the whole Mega Evolution vs Dynamax debate and whether the latter might drastically change the region’s culture and/or design, I’m starting to think that maybe Dynamax could work in Sinnoh, but not in the same context and acceptance that Galar has of it.

What I mean is that due to the Arceus plates mentioning how Arceus had to battle and defeat giants, the people of Sinnoh might live in fear of Dynamax as opposed to openly integrating the mechanic into their culture. Since it’s also associated with warping the space-time continuum, I could also see Team Galactic trying to make use of it, which would only sully the idea of Dynamax energy in the eyes of the public even further. Maybe we could get a plot where Cynthia has to calm down the population of Sinnoh and show that Dynamax and the associated energy is nothing to be afraid of as long as it’s handled properly?

In terms of Mega Evolution returning, there’s a few points in its favor:
  1. Sycamore, the professor in the Kalos region, supposedly studied evolution under Prof. Rowan. Mega Evolution is a step beyond the standard Pokémon evolution system. I don’t know about you guys, but I personally would like this connection to be expanded upon rather than just end up as a throwaway line. And what better way to strengthen the relationship than having Mega Evolution present in Sinnoh?
  2. There’s mention of harnessing a Pokémon’s evolutionary energy as a power source from a Team Galactic member, which is what the Infinity Energy that powers Mega Evolution supposedly is. Incorporating said mechanic in the DPPt remakes due to this context serve as a nice callback to this one line.

If it was used in any other context than being feared due to the myths involving Arceus, I honestly would rather have Mega Evolution return than the inclusion of Dynamax. Having the people of Sinnoh suddenly embracing Dynamax in their battling lifestyle right away when it resembles something their creator fought against just doesn’t sit right with me unless Game Freak wants to make Arceus an antagonist.

Last edited:
Could it be possible that Arceus might actually be another Pokemon who can radiate energy for Dynamaxing? After all, Calyrex actually uses its own energy rather than Eternatus's energy in order to Dynamax, as a blue aura surrounds Calyrex rather than a red aura. Maybe Arceus has infused the power of giants into the ground. Or maybe, it infused its own energy instead.

Could it be possible that Arceus might actually be another Pokemon who can radiate energy for Dynamaxing? After all, Calyrex actually uses its own energy rather than Eternatus's energy in order to Dynamax, as a blue aura surrounds Calyrex rather than a red aura. Maybe Arceus has infused the power of giants into the ground.
Well, this could give it the "serious form" I have been asking for. Closest thing we got is Ransei!Arceus, and that was only during the final battle.

EDIT: And the post-game.

They should have a Dynamax-only battle where a trainer Dynamaxes their Pokemon at the start. The two opposing Pokemon stays Dynamaxed until one faints.

If Dyanamax does get included, I think it will only be available in the Battle Tower equivalent or just generally restricted. I doubt it'll be incorporated into the gyms. They could have a wild area where you do dynamo raids but gyms should stay as they are though the gym leaders could have gigantamax pokemon in the Battle Tower equivalent.

Why would they go back to an old gimmick instead of expanding on the current one?

Eh, it's what they did last time-- LGPE used Megas, not Z-moves.

Everyone keeps acting like Mega Evolution has been abandoned forever when it was literally in the last set of games.

Why would they go back to an old gimmick instead of expanding on the current one?

Because re-utilizing old things is exactly what gen 4 did in the first place by bringing back way more baby pokemon and cross-gen evolutions as well as bringing back the features of gen 3 like contests, secret bases and the battle frontier. It's hard to articulate, but I feel like expanding on both gimmicks would be in the spirit of gen-4. But on the other side of things, the days of DPPt were much simpler. It's kind of hard to compare then to now. In the end, GameFreak is going to do whatever they feel like and there's nothing stopping them from reintroducing Megas if they want to.

I actually found out that Diamond and Pearl was made to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Pokemon.

Update: Disregard this post.

Last edited:
I kind of don't want Megas to return in the DP remakes because that would imply that it would be the only mechanic allowed to be included in remakes. Heck, I would rather have Z-Moves in the remakes rather than Megas just to have some variety.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom