• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The temples are definitely a nod to DPPt games (or platinum at least).

The interiors are incredibly similar to the Regi rooms in Platinum: Pokémon Platinum - The Regi Factor

They have the same statue in the back center and the same floor light 'puzzles'. I believe the choice for wall design would be an extension of this.
I had never gotten a Regigigas until ORAS, so I never went to these areas, nor even knew that this event existed. I thought Poke Dragon was referring to the generic cave tiles you see in places like Mt. Coronet, and not the specific slab tiles in these cave-temples. That makes way more sense. Sorry for getting mixed up on that.

Then yeah, I do think that the slab tiles are a continuity nod to the cave-temples in Platinum, however, I don't think it's a hint towards DPPt remakes. I'd imagine we'd still see the same slanted slabs even if DPPt remakes, say, happened in gen 7 for example, because they're referencing a very specific event which they are connected to through the other Regis, and are maintaining continuity to an extent.

Then yeah, I do think that the slab tiles are a continuity nod to the cave-temples in Platinum, however, I don't think it's a hint towards DPPt remakes. I'd imagine we'd still see the same slanted slabs even if DPPt remakes, say, happened in gen 7 for example, because they're referencing a very specific event which they are connected to through the other Regis, and are maintaining continuity to an extent.

It's true that it could be nothing more than just a reference, but it is a bit more obvious than any past references such as the Cave of Being being similar to the caves on the Lakes in Sinnoh or Santalune Forest having a similar layout to Viridian Forest. They're not just similar; they are almost literally a 1:1 remake. I can't think of an instance where they have done this in the past except for Gym in USUM being nearly identical to Lt. Surge's Gym (and hey, look, we got LGPE as the next game).

They had plenty of other options to make temple walls not have a rocky texture without needing for the slanted nature though, which as I said, it's odd that they went with something so similar to how walls looked in Gen 4 because when in a 3D space, they can make it so much more different than that.
Considering that the Z-Crystals also work like the plates for Arceus and that (most of) the Legendaries associated with them have inter-dimensional ties (with Sinnoh having Space-Time legendaries themselves), I'm inclined to agree. Ideally, I think that both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves should exist in the same games going forward if Game Freak chooses to revisit old mechanics. Unlike theoretically having with Dynamax + old burst mechanic, having Mega Evolution and Z-Moves in the same game wouldn't come across as redundant. Heck, didn't the director of SM say that the reason Z-Moves and Megas were both available due to wanting players to be able to manage both in tandem as some form of synergy?

Considering that the Z-Crystals also work like the plates for Arceus and that (most of) the Legendaries associated with them have inter-dimensional ties (with Sinnoh having Space-Time legendaries themselves), I'm inclined to agree. Ideally, I think that both Mega Evolution and Z-Moves should exist in the same games going forward if Game Freak chooses to revisit old mechanics. Unlike theoretically having with Dynamax + old burst mechanic, having Mega Evolution and Z-Moves in the same game wouldn't come across as redundant. Heck, didn't the director of SM say that the reason Z-Moves and Megas were both available due to wanting players to be able to manage both in tandem as some form of synergy?
Either way, just because it appeared in ORAS, SM, and LGPE doesn't mean it has to appear in every game after. To me, Dynamax was a welcome addition since it allowed almost every Pokemon to use Dynamax, even if there still was favoritism with Gigantamax. I just simply don't like Mega Evolution at all, which contributed to Gen 6 being one of my least favorite generations in some capacity. One of the biggest problems with Megas I had was the fact that most of the Pokemon who didn't need one have gotten one anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think that Megas or Z-Moves will be in these games, unless they are Gen 9 games and the main Gen 9 pair brings them back.

It's true that it could be nothing more than just a reference, but it is a bit more obvious than any past references such as the Cave of Being being similar to the caves on the Lakes in Sinnoh or Santalune Forest having a similar layout to Viridian Forest. They're not just similar; they are almost literally a 1:1 remake. I can't think of an instance where they have done this in the past except for Gym in USUM being nearly identical to Lt. Surge's Gym (and hey, look, we got LGPE as the next game).

Well there was Terminus Cave = Resolution Cave

Also, I think people underestimate the possibility of coincidences. Like, the Kantonian Gym to me seems much more like a backwards-looking reference than a hint of what's to come, especially when we know that very similar-looking assets for a Gym already existed to in the coding of the original SM. It might've been an idea that they had from early on but weren't able to fit in time (I think it would make a lot of sense to have an old-school Gym in the 20th anniversary game).

(Now, you want to talk Lt. Surge's autograph, on the other hand...)

With regard to the Regi ruins, yes it is possible that they could intend to reuse the assets in DP remakes, but I think that also gestures at one of my doubts about such remakes - a lot of people will have already done all of this stuff in the Crown Tundra, making it kind of redundant in Sinnoh remakes. "Oh look, we get to track down the Regi ruins and collect all five to unlock Regigigas... again, only one year after we just did that in CT." I guess it'd be useful for people who skipped the SwSh DLC, but...

I mean, just hypothetically speaking, if Sinnoh remakes don't happen next year, then look - it'll have just been a reference to Platinum with no deeper meaning. And I think that's at least a distinct possibility.

I don't think so. Lucario is easily one of the most popular and marketable non Gen 1 mons.
But why now? It's not a coincidence. They could've given him to Ash ages ago.

- The Croagunk statue in Hop's bedroom, which has only ever been seen in Pastoria city.
- No Sinnoh Mythicals or Fossils in Sword/Shield (even though the other regions are represented).
- Some obvious Sinnoh appearances in next year's merchandise. Paul Ryan is not an idiot.

The balloons are commemorating WCS's 2010 anniversary, so they are probably not linked, but it's curious nonetheless.

I don't think so. Lucario is easily one of the most popular and marketable non Gen 1 mons.
Popular Pokemon are used a lot more than unpopular Pokemon for making merchandise before the game having it comes out though. Mewtwo was given merchandise in the lead-up to XY.

But why now? It's not a coincidence.

- The Croagunk statue in Hop's bedroom, which has only ever been seen in Pastoria city.
- No Sinnoh Mythicals or Fossils in Sword/Shield (even though the other regions are represented).
- Some obvious Sinnoh appearances in next year's merchandise. Paul Ryan is not an idiot.

The balloons are commemorating WCS's 2010 anniversary, so they are probably not linked, but it's curious nonetheless.
Most of it is greatly exaggerated, and if Sinnoh remakes were coming then the likes of Lucario and Garchomp wouldn't even be in Sword and Shield.

Most of it is greatly exaggerated, and if Sinnoh remakes were coming then the likes of Lucario and Garchomp wouldn't even be in Sword and Shield.
The charm of remakes is not the exclusivity of certain species; They've been available for too long already for such a thing. Legendaries, as well.

It's the nostalgia for the region's whole experience. People didn't mind catching Kanto Pokémon for the 3243th time. Why were some Sinnoh Pokémon, like the fossils, scrapped from SwSh though? Maybe to give room to a few others. Their exclusion is odd, though, and feels like a nod/hint towards Sinnoh.

LGPE is not a standard Pokemon game, and can't communicate normally with the Alola games.
They were still part of Gen 7 and both games can transfer to Home in some capacity. The Alola games required Pokemon Bank for the Pokemon to be transferred to Home, but still a relatively short way to do so. Meanwhile, you have to go through at least 3 games plus two apps to transfer Pokemon all the way from Gen 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom