• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Game Freak has released D/P, BW, HG/SS, B2W2 all on the DS. As such, they can easily release X/Y, ORAS, S/M and D/P's remake on the 3DS.
Last I checked, only two DS games were remakes. B2W2 were no RS remakes.

The gap between HGSS and ORAS was slightly over 5 years, and the gap between FRLG and HGSS was closer to 6 years. There is absolutely no problem with Game Freak waiting until 2020 to release DP remakes. They can and should something else for the 3DS' last hurrah in 2017.

Some of you need to learn the virtue of patience.

Last edited:
it would be a joke if we got not remakes but the region itself built as a secondary region in the game.

it would be a joke if we got not remakes but the region itself built as a secondary region in the game.
I think it's more likely that we'll see Kalos as the secondary region instead of Sinnoh. I also just don't think it's time for a remake for Diamond and Pearl, especially given that we just had ORAS.

We didn't get remakes in Gen V. Likely what we're seeing are remakes for every new handheld we evolve to. But I'm not sure how long Pokemon will ride out the remake angle. Eventually, it will get pretty tired.

I agree that the remake idea will get tired, but I don't think we'll ever actually stop reVISITing regions. I think eventually remakes will become more sequel-like a la B2W2 (can't wait to see Black 3 and White 3 in a decade), or as @Matleo and @Silent Winter mentioned, they could make them extensions to main games.

Coming Soon: Scorching Garnet Truth Fire Red and Flowing Jade Fantasy Leaf Green
Scorching / Flowing
Garnet / Jade
Truth / Fantasy
Fire Red / Leaf Green.
Wow, you actually put way more thought into those names than expected. I'm impressed.

Looking back at past remakes: FRLG on GBA, HGSS on DS and ORAS on 3DS. Gen 5 had no remake because it was on DS. If Diamond and Pearl remakes are coming, then it would be on a new handheld system.
Yeah, the more I think about this, the more it makes sense. Still possible we get it this gen, but not very likely.

I'd laugh so hard if DP remakes go on the NX console.
First remakes to go from two screens to one.
Wait, we already know the NX will only have one screen?

I like to see Dialga, Palkia, Giratina and Arceus receive mega/primal forms. Giratina and Arceus in post game. Sinnoh starters with mega evolution. Gym leader rematches with mega evolution. Elite Four rematches with mega evolution. Cynthia with Mega Garchomp.

XY games were the best of gen 6 but unfortunately no follow up game to it. Sun and Moon are on 3DS so remakes might happen next gen unless they are done with remakes completely.

I think a more detailed exploration of the Creation trio being "deities" would be interesting. Maybe some temples to Dialga and Palkia or a cult devoted to Giratina. Not necessarily likely, but that's what I'd like to see.

Its called rotating nostalgia. The kids who grew up with Hoenn wanted remakes, just like the kids who grew up in DP would want remakes. Along with the older fans who also wouldn't mind having remakes.

Every gen is someones "first generation" and those kids grow up and become teenagers and want to revisit the gen they started in.
Pretty much this.

I saw it with Hoenn and I'm willing to bet that it will happen with Sinnoh. We'll see a slow build to a demand for another trip to Sinnoh, just as we did for Hoenn.
Kinda agree with this, I don't think D/P remakes have quite the same level of demand/hype around them the way there was a demand for R/S remakes.
I would have said the same thing about Hoenn years ago. When I first joined up here, the "I don't like Hoenn" camp was pretty large. But after some time, things changed and the nostalgia began to creep in; the hope for RSE remakes started to become more and more prevalent. Give it a few years, put a little more distance between DP and the current gen and yeah, the demand will start to show itself. It's just a matter of time.

However, I think it's a bit early for another jaunt to Sinnoh. I'd give it a few more years and maybe another system or two. Then we might have our DP remakes.
Trust me, 10 years from now we'll have Black/White remakes too.
I want that to happen and I am already hopping on the hype train early. Unova is my favorite Region; a shiny remake in the future would make me so happy.

I think a more detailed exploration of the Creation trio being "deities" would be interesting. Maybe some temples to Dialga and Palkia or a cult devoted to Giratina. Not necessarily likely, but that's what I'd like to see.
I'd like to see that as well and maybe GF could show us a little glimpse into the cult of Arceus. Expanding on the Sinnoh story would appreciated in my case; I do love mythology.

But knowing my luck, since it sounds so cool, it won't happen.

Personally, I think DP remakes will wait until Gen VIII, similar to how Gen V had no remakes. I expect Gen VII to be a bit shorter, similar to Gen V, seeing as how the 3DS lifespan's end and the beginning of the next handheld is likely approaching.

But when the NX comes out, it will supposedly be capable of EMULATING DPPt. So this would directly eliminate the need of remakes. Not to mention that ORAS already eliminated a lot of it by reintroducing Secret Bases and Contests, etc.

Which makes me think they might do a sequel instead of a remake.

Last edited:
Ultimately, a true sequel of DP instead of a remake would be better. Diamond was my first Pokégame, and while they are still my favorites, I recognize the myriad of flaws DP had. Platinum somewhat fixed them, but still.
Platinum's updated Dex plus a brand new plot that takes cues from DP but is several years into the future would be much better.
I don't know if this would be possible, but what if the sequels would start Gen VIII on the NX? The 3DS is almost done as it is, and it would certainly be a change of pace. They do something different every Gen, so who knows?

Sinnoh sequels would be a completely different game though. It could turn out being superior or inferior in comparison with the original DPPt, but it surely will NOT be nearly as nostalgic.

Sinnoh sequels would be a completely different game though. It could turn out being superior or inferior in comparison with the original DPPt, but it surely will NOT be nearly as nostalgic.
Yeah that would be the only issue. Personally, I'd be happy with either. If GF wants to break the "remake everything" pattern, they could do this. Or perhaps remake DP and then make ??? Platinum be the "sequel?"
And really, the main "problems" with DP was not the plot but the Pokémon, right? Loads of Babies, relatively poorly-received new Pokemon (Burmy + Evolutions, for ex.), etc. I can't really think of what else was wrong beyond that, aside from how inferior the UI is compared to now.
EDIT: Plus you can't access most of the new evolutions until post-game.

My guess is that the remakes would have mostly stuff from the DP. There be some small Platinum stuff or references. Like Rayquaza in ORAS, Giratina could have a post game thing called Distorted Episode or something. I like to see the expanded pokedex return because it gave gym leaders and Elite Four more options in Platinum but they may stick to original pokedex.

Ugh. The DPDex was terrible. Only two fully-evolved Fire-types, neither of which were very good, especially Rapidash.

I don't think sequels to old games will ever happen, except for maybe the Kanto games. That story is fairly well-known thanks to a) being very basic and b) having been told so many times. But I don't think they can really expect to say to modern audiences, "Hey, do you happen to have a vivid recollection of Diamond and Pearl, those laggy old games that came out when many of you weren't even born yet? You don't!? Well, you're in luck 'cause we're making a sequel!" There is a vast difference between making a sequel to games that came out one-to-two years ago and in the same generation, versus making a sequel to games from over ten years and two consoles ago.

Even if they were to rerelease DP onto the virtual console, I don't think it would work. I think it would be too demanding to require the players who don't remember DP or didn't exist yet to play unrefined (if the Gen I VCs ae any indication) ports of old DS games just to be in the loop for the new games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom