• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On some level, it feels a little odd that the Kalos starters never got access to their game’s big gimmick; but when you look at the mega roster, they never included ‘mons after Gen IV (barring the event-exclusive Diancie). And the whole schtick behind mega evolution was that it gave new opportunities for old Pokémon to shine.

I remember reading somewhere that their reasoning was that they didn't want to design a pokemon that felt "unfinished" without the mega, or something along those lines.

I remember reading somewhere that their reasoning was that they didn't want to design a pokemon that felt "unfinished" without the mega, or something along those lines.

And unfortunately, that's the fate half the Gen 8 mons will suffer when Gigantamax forms get scrapped for the next generation.

And unfortunately, that's the fate half the Gen 8 mons will suffer when Gigantamax forms get scrapped for the next generation.

Eh, I don’t know about that. Most of the Pokémon that can Gigantamax look pretty complete to me. The only one I’d say doesn’t is maybe Alcremie, but even it’s not a far bridge from the likes of Slurpuff or Aromatisse, plus it already has a different gimmick going for it.

Gigantamax works differently from Megas because it’s locked to a very specific context. Typically, Pokémon aren’t supposed to be these gargantuan behemoths, so you can take a “finished” design like Coalossal or Blastoise and then push it into the realm of “But what if they could be absolutely huge?” without interfering too much with the base design.

If, for example, Centiskorch had been introduced in Sun & Moon, I don’t think anybody would be looking at it thinking “It doesn’t look finished...”

Last edited:
If, for example, Centiskorch had been introduced in Sun & Moon, I don’t think anybody would be looking at it thinking “It doesn’t look finished...”

Curiously, Centiskorch is one of those pokemon that I feel would look unfinished without the Gigantamax form. I don't expect it to be a complete rollercoaster but I always felt like it's regular form is a little too short and disproportionate for a final stage Pokemon. Similarly, Sandacoda is going to be stuck looking like a turd for the rest of time. For them both, their full potential is clearly in the Gigantamax form.

They didn't give them Megas
They got overshadowed by Kanto
Heck, Kalos was Kanto 2.0.

Not giving them Mega Evolutions doesn’t mean they don’t care about them. I don’t know where people get off thinking that decisions like this are so toxically minded rather than being innocuous design choices that maybe have an odd rationale.

Like, yeah, Kanto stuff is iconic so they’re going to push it. That doesn’t mean they resent everything else they’ve ever created, lol.

Curiously, Centiskorch is one of those pokemon that I feel would look unfinished without the Gigantamax form. I don't expect it to be a complete rollercoaster but I always felt like it's regular form is a little too short and disproportionate for a final stage Pokemon. Similarly, Sandacoda is going to be stuck looking like a turd for the rest of time. For them both, their full potential is clearly in the Gigantamax form.

Personally I’m actually not too fond of Gigantamax Sandaconda - I think it looks goofy balancing all that upper weight on that tiny tail tip.

Last Reminder
This is not directed at any one user but:
Let’s please get back to gen 4 remake discussion. This thread has had to have multiple reminders to stay on-topic. You can always quote a post from this thread and respond to it in one that is relevant. I understand that discussions will sometimes organically move to other topics, but please either tie your posts back to the topic at hand or reply elsewhere.

Thank you.
-VG Staff

I sincerely hope this thread doesn't get closed before the remakes are announced because people keep derailing it.

I can see the poffin-making gameplay being identical to the curry one. Heck, they can just copy over the control code from the curry minigame to the poffin minigame and just call it a day.

You know, that leads me to wonder, what are they going to do about camping? There's a pretty good chance Poffins are going to replace curry like you say, so then what are they going to do about camping as a whole? Will they just keep it the same but with Poffins? So then what do they do with the Poffin House in Hearthome? Do they have something else in place of camping to allow you to raise affection and evolve Eevee into Sylveon?

I sincerely hope this thread doesn't get closed before the remakes are announced because people keep derailing it.

You know, that leads me to wonder, what are they going to do about camping? There's a pretty good chance Poffins are going to replace curry like you say, so then what are they going to do about camping as a whole? Will they just keep it the same but with Poffins? So then what do they do with the Poffin House in Hearthome? Do they have something else in place of camping to allow you to raise affection and evolve Eevee into Sylveon?
I think they can make it so there are two versions of poffins: The ones made in camp would be the same as curries as they raise affection for the Pokemon while the ones made in the poffin-house would keep their original role.

Do y'all think they'll make the Amity Square or the Pal Park a Wild Area?

In Gen VIII Eevee evolves into Sylveon via friendship + fairy move, not affection (which was dexited out of existence in Gen VIII). So, I'm guessing they'll nix curries and keep everything else the same.

Maybe have feeding Poffins your Pokémon like increase friendship too.

and Hoenn because it was the start of the gameplay we’ve come to expect; exclusive box legendaries that play a major part in the story, abilities, villains who drive the story, etc.
That has little marketing value. The last time the Hoenn starters stood out was in ORAS. TPC has barely done anything with Greninja since 2016, either.

Considering that Poké Blocks did not replace Poké Puffs, and that Poké Blocks were never incorporated into Pokémon Amie in general, I do think there's a chance that Pokémon Camp and Poffins will be kept separate.

Do y'all think they'll make the Amity Square or the Pal Park a Wild Area?
I could see Pal Park being a wild area, but I don't see why Amity Square would be one. Even using its Platinum map, it's supposed to be a small man-made enclosure for trainers being with captured Pokemon, not a wide open space for finding wild ones.

That has little marketing value. The last time the Hoenn starters stood out was in ORAS. TPC has barely done anything with Greninja since 2016, either.

Perhaps you missed my point; the Kalos Pokémon are not the only ones who get shuffled aside at the end of their region/game’s life.

Aside from Kanto, the only other starters to get megas were the ones from Hoenn. Obviously, some of this was due to the ORAS games being released in Gen VI. But even in Gen IV, the only non-Sinnoh starter allowed in Amity Park was Torchic; until HGSS dropped, the Johto starters were relegated to a post-game prize (but just one), or catching their middle evolutions in a spin-off game on a home console.

TL;DR: Kalos starters are more the rule and not the exception once a new region is announced.

Perhaps you missed my point; the Kalos Pokémon are not the only ones who get shuffled aside at the end of their region/game’s life.

Aside from Kanto, the only other starters to get megas were the ones from Hoenn. Obviously, some of this was due to the ORAS games being released in Gen VI. But even in Gen IV, the only non-Sinnoh starter allowed in Amity Park was Torchic; until HGSS dropped, the Johto starters were relegated to a post-game prize (but just one), or catching their middle evolutions in a spin-off game on a home console.

TL;DR: Kalos starters are more the rule and not the exception once a new region is announced.
Pretty sure he's not arguing that starters don't get shuffled aside, just that Hoenn starters aren't really getting much of the spotlight, either.

Do you guys think the pandemic will affect the quality of the games?

I mean it's possible, but I think if the pandemic were to affect anything, it would most likely be the Expansion Pass and that seemed to release on schedule more or less. I think DP remakes will release on schedule as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom